Modifying range of MeleeState and MissleState

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blacklightning

Insane Idealist
So I've taken up SOCcing some of the existing badniks in the roster, but as early as the Crawlas I've run into a problem. I'm trying to program one to perform a reverse A_Thrust move in MeleeState to avoid an incoming attack - the move itself works perfectly fine, but the problem is that the range in which it responds with the MeleeState is so damn small that it's almost never fast enough to respond in time, irregardless of how fast the MeleeState move actually is. This is a pretty big contrast to the FaceStabber's MeleeState (the lance-carrying baniks in CEZ), which is probably lenient enough enough to do the move right with much less trouble.

Am I missing something here? Please tell me it's not proportional to how big the badnik is. =(

Melee and missile range are constants.

The meleerange is 64 fracunits.
The missilerange is 2048 fracunits.

If you want to use alternative ranges or checking rates I'd suggest to use srb2morphed.exe's A_CheckRange or A_CheckTrueRange. I'm not quite sure what you want to accomplish. Do you want Crawlas to behave as usual only that they jump backwards if their target comes too close?

Melee and missile range are constants.

The meleerange is 64 fracunits.
The missilerange is 2048 fracunits.
That's odd, because between the Crawla and Facestabber, the latter clearly has a larger response range for some reason. I'm willing to bet it's more of an extension of the of the badnik's actual size that makes it seem longer though. Shame. =\

If you want to use alternative ranges or checking rates I'd suggest to use srb2morphed.exe's A_CheckRange or A_CheckTrueRange. I'm not quite sure what you want to accomplish. Do you want Crawlas to behave as usual only that they jump backwards if their target comes too close?
Pretty much that, only with an A_Thrust with negative value. I saw the A_CheckRange command in your .exe documentation but I really didn't want to have to use a custom executable unless what I was trying was either impossible or not worth the effort. Seems that's pretty much the case now, so I'll have to make do with morphed edition instead. Thanks for the feedback, in any case.

IIRC, A_Look allows you to select the radius in which to look for the player, so you can use that and then set the Seestate to escape, though it would cause the side effect of Crawlas jumping backwards when they first see you.

IIRC, A_Look allows you to select the radius in which to look for the player, so you can use that and then set the Seestate to escape, though it would cause the side effect of Crawlas jumping backwards when they first see you.
Huh, I didn't know A_Look could do that. I'll have to check back on that sometime and see how it works. Thanks man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back