Changing character abilities with a Thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

742mph

My work is never done yet
Is it possible to change the abilities of the player's character with a Thing, such as upon the destruction of a monitor? For example, would it be possible to create an object that, when destroyed, changes the player's color to Blue, changes their ability to 0 (speed thok) and changes their normalspeed to 36? If this can be done, how? I already checked the Wiki, and it wasn't much help.

No, that's not possible. You could run a script that simply changes all these attributes, but you need to have devmode enabled for that. And I doubt you want that, because then secrets can't be unlocked anymore.

Is it possible to have an Object that runs that script upon its destruction, then?

The only thing I can think of is this: Use A_LinedefExecute on the Object's PainState (or DeathState, not quite sure here) and make it execute a Run Script linedef. Then the script activates devmode, does the changes you want, and deactivates devmode again.

As I said, this makes it impossible to unlock secrets.

I have had a way to change character stats with a script and was gonna rig them to buttons at the very beginning of the stage, but that'd only work for OLDC projects due to the requirements of Devmode. It would also completely not work at all in Coop, so if you actually care about Coop (I sure didn't), you're out of luck. It is also impossible to color change in Single Player, unless its to white, where you could give the player a fire flower powerup via SOCcing; fireballs wont work in normal SRB2, but you still turn white. That isn't much of a change though, and it might turn you back to normal if hit by something. I haven't confirmed this yet.

So yeah, its either:

A: Render secrets useless and make the object impossible for use in Coop
B: Trash the idea

One or the other.

Last edited:
I'll probably take B, especially since I've figured out another way to do what I want to do...

It is also impossible to color change in Single Player, unless its to white, where you could give the player a fire flower powerup via SOCcing; fireballs wont work in normal SRB2, but you still turn white. That isn't much of a change though, and it might turn you back to normal if hit by something. I haven't confirmed this yet.

There's also XSRB2's player colour changing linedefs, remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back