Can't run Srb2 at a decent FPS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I'm Shawn.

I have been playing Srb2 for awhile now and I have always had an FPS issue with this game. I was wondering if there was a fix for it because I have a fairly High-End Gaming PC. I'll post the specs...

Thanks in advance!

Specs:(that apply to the game)

Intel Core i7 4820k @ 3.9GHz

8 GB RAM (1600Mhz) 11-11-11-28

Nvidia Geforce GTX 760 2GB GDDR5

I'm honestly not joking, I can barely get 15-20 FPS on this game and I would like to enjoy it to its fullest. I understand the cap is 35 but my friends with lower end PCs can run it max.

What kind of background processes do you have hogging CPU cycles? This is especially important on Windows. I imagine a bloated anti-virus suite, or a very finicky IM client running the background, could cause nasty frame drops.

Either way, have you tried hardware-rendering/OpenGL mode? Software mode is faster for some machines, or the other way around, depending on your hardware. Seeing as you have a beefy GPU, SRB2 can make good use of that.

More relevantly, what OS are you running? Windows 8 doesn't like to play well with SRB2 in general. Try setting your compatibility mode to Windows 7, or try running OpenGL mode.

Humorously, older crappy boxes running XP tend to give the best results with SRB2.

More relevantly, what OS are you running? Windows 8 doesn't like to play well with SRB2 in general. Try setting your compatibility mode to Windows 7, or try running OpenGL mode.

Thank you, been looking for this and it worked. Have been white-screening with OpenGL. You should add this to installation instructions. You KNOW there are Windows 8 gamers out there, like myself.

Would add Run as Administrator as well... just remember to turn off UAC. >_>

Intel Core i7 4820k @ 3.9GHz
8 GB RAM (1600Mhz) 11-11-11-28
Nvidia Geforce GTX 760 2GB GDDR5

You're outperforming me. Similar specs here.
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/40tDKKg0mghtQHjIPlPkOof

Last edited:
What kind of background processes do you have hogging CPU cycles? This is especially important on Windows. I imagine a bloated anti-virus suite, or a very finicky IM client running the background, could cause nasty frame drops.

Either way, have you tried hardware-rendering/OpenGL mode? Software mode is faster for some machines, or the other way around, depending on your hardware. Seeing as you have a beefy GPU, SRB2 can make good use of that.
At this moment, I have Avast! Virus protection and (what I consider "idling") running 65-70 background processes. CPU workload is at 2-3% during my "idle" state. I wanted to try various render options but in v2.0.6, It wouldn't let me and now in v2.1.1, it doesn't seem to have the option anymore. I'll mess around with it though.

---------- Post added at 09:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 AM ----------

Humorously, older crappy boxes running XP tend to give the best results with SRB2.

I'm currently running Windows 8.1 and it's funny you bring that up.. I seem to have a plethora of compatibility issues with a lot of games/applications. I don't know why that surprised me. I'll try running it in win 7 compatibility mode as well. Thanks!

---------- Post added at 10:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 AM ----------

Thank you, been looking for this and it worked. Have been white-screening with OpenGL. You should add this to installation instructions. You KNOW there are Windows 8 gamers out there, like myself.

Would add Run as Administrator as well... just remember to turn off UAC. >_>

You're outperforming me. Similar specs here.
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/40tDKKg0mghtQHjIPlPkOof

Impressive build. GTX 650 was my best friend for the longest time. Great card. Then I got a new computer with an OEM 760 so I gave it to my friend who was trying to beef up his build. Here's a complete spec sheet of my current PC.
(I know it's an Alienware but we recieved a huge discount on the PC with parts.)
http://gyazo.com/55b0ba856eaef99cb224968175d20122

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back