• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

New Character WAD: Virt the Fox!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The wad looks fantastic! I would give constructive criticism, if only there was something to criticize about! Keep up the good work and remember: take your time.

I'm absolutely loving the shading on those sprites.
Can't wait to see more.

Well, surprised am I. I came in here expecting a Tails edit, and the thing is hand-drawn! I agree the air-brake sounds like the Unleashed stomp, but that's no big deal.

Wow, I am really loving the shading and detail of these sprites. o.o'
But I agree that the eyes are to close together and should be spread out some. Also, make some custom shoes so he won't have to take Tails', that way it will look a bit less like a recolor.

EDIT: Also, the head in the 3rd frame looks a bit flat, you might want to fix that.

Just a quick reminder while I'm thinking of it:
virta2.png
http://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/Character_WAD#Naming
Wiki article said:
...the way sprites are handled allows two rotations to be compacted into one sprite. The one sprite, which is drawn to depict only one rotation by itself, is merely flipped to serve as a depiction for the second rotation...If you take a look at a typical character WAD, you'll see listings that consist of lumpnames like these:

PLAYA1
PLAYA2A8
PLAYA3A7
PLAYA4A6
PLAYA5

Note how some of the frames define two rotations: PLAYA2A8, for example, defines that it can be used for rotations "A2" and "A8"...

...Note, however, that because the game flips the one sprite using this naming scheme, asymmetrical features would be flipped as well. For example, if the character carried a weapon on their right hand, it would also appear on their left hand by error when the game flips the sprite, as if they were "switching hands". This can be seen as problematic...

...This way, different sprites can be drawn for all the rotations. PLAYA2 would show the character holding their weapon on their right hand — the one away from the camera, while PLAYA8 could still show the character holding their weapon on their right hand — in this case, the one towards the camera.

Virt the Fox's costume is symmetrical. Although, his waiting and running frames will have full rotations.

EDIT: I just remembered something. Virt has mixed stats, so if you keep swerving in and out while running for a couple seconds...
Off you go! You get a burst of speed.

Last edited:
It looks awesome, But here's a suggestion how about with his
ability, Every enemy that is 32 franquites be destroyed. It could really come in handy. Like Tails and Knuckles. and Sonic especially

hmmm... it's weird that the first frame, his eyes are blurry, but the others aren't. Plus his right (our left) ear is wonky... not enough white.

It looks awesome, But here's a suggestion how about with his
ability, Every enemy that is 32 franquites be destroyed. It could really come in handy. Like Tails and Knuckles. and Sonic especially

Ummm...what's a franquite?

EDIT: I just remembered something. Virt has mixed stats, so if you keep swerving in and out while running for a couple seconds...
Off you go! You get a burst of speed.
I've heard of this before. It's called Snaking, and its first major debut was in F-Zero GX. Kind of clever of you to implement this in your character. It might actually be fun to try him out.

This, is the best character WAD I've ever seen. I can't find one problem with it. Keep up the GREAT work!

Hey, Virt, my char is just like yours, but he's red(obviously). Could you give me ONLY the sprites? Please? I want to make my WAD, but I'm bad with sprite designing. I just need to erase that... on your neck and make Winky(I didn't even think about it!). Please!
And your project's terrific. A suggestion. Chaos Control, maybe?

Last edited:
Turns out that the ears don't match with the different rotations. I need to redo the sprites and make the ears the same size on each rotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back