Forum Rules - Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same thing as anyone else. I remember revoking AJ's avatar privileges back before it automatically prevented people from making huge avatars.

The only two who are truly excluded from the rules would be Sep and Mystic. Sep because he has more power over this than anyone, and Mystic because he runs the place.

SRB2WikiSonicMaster said:
If someone ban evades, do they actually have to make a post before their account is disabled?

Yes. The admins can only do that when they're able to see their IP, and they can't do that if a ban evader hasn't posted yet.

Correct me if I'm wrong about this, as sometimes I remember things wrong.

phpBB2 has no way of seeing registration IP or the IP of a lurking user.

Translation: phpBB2 sucks for administrative stuff like this, seriously.

Yeah. You can see the lurking IP's in the ACP. Yes, registration IP doesn't exist although it can be MODded in if we had to. (MOD capitalized stands for forum modification. It is so you don't get confused with "moderator".)

Ok, so it doesn't record registration IPs, I only took a quick look at the ACP on a default installation before it started to hurt to look at. >_>

Cue said:
phpBB2 has no way of seeing registration IP or the IP of a lurking user.

Translation: phpBB2 sucks for administrative stuff like this, seriously.

What if someone just created a new account but hasn't posted? That's what I meant.

That is exactly what Cue is saying. Right now, there is someone who is actually doing it. Trust me, I wish they thought of the registration with IP thing years ago. You know what else? You can't even disable user registrations outright with phpbb2. But eh, that is what happens back in 2001, 2002. It could be worse.

Who says that MIGHTY MAN 2 is the person who I am waiting for? Please don't jump to conclusions. I won't be telling you who it is because it is none of your concern. Not to be rude or anything, but administrators generally won't be telling you these sort of things because the average user doesn't need to know and also for privacy reasons and such. Either way, this person is flagged and will be dealt with soon.

It says to not use "lol"? But we use it all the time without getting banned. In fact, Neo Chaotikal reviewed two levels with simply "lol" and nothing else...

I was reading the Rules on the Part About Banning, But I still don't get one thing, It says If One of your Bans (For say, First ban) Was Three Days Long, but The Admins Didn't Unban that person until a month After, It says Use IRC to ask the Admins, but I tried IRC (On a windows) And it WOULD not let me talk to ANYONE, so is there another way to contact the Admins or What? And for those who are permabanned, I heard they can't be allowed to get stuff off the site because they are blocked from the site to prevent them from making new accounts, but how on are they going to get Wads for their SRB2 if The MB holds all of the Wads created by People...I'm just curous, can I have this answered please?

Heh, you can still get contest WADs. Those hold the most valuable of them all, and they're technically hosted elsewhere. But shouldn't you still be able to visit here and get download links even if you're permbanned?

On a normal ban, you can access the forums with read-only access. The reason is that all a normal ban does is disable your account so you can't log in. Even permanent bans work like this as long as the user doesn't attempt to evade.

However, since those bans are very simple, it's easily possible to evade such a ban by simply creating another account and posting with that. That's called ban evasion, and under the old system it would generate a month-long ban. When someone evades a ban, we permanently disable the account used to evade and we ban their IP address. This prevents them from being able to read the forums.

We use such a weak ban to allow read-only access, but obviously some people are going to try to get around it, and then we have no choice but to use something that's more effective at keeping people out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back