[Open Assets] Color + (Pal-ColorPlus.wad)

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The only part of this I have to complain about is the "mustard" and the (well, what were) light blue/cyans. The mustardy-yellow is terrible, IMO, and needs to be brightened up (re-yellowified) significantly. The cyans (crawla-shell color) need to go back to being lighter—they look like jellybean hell in their current form.

ILyy0Ar.png

GAH!!!

Your purples, greens, and greys, however, are SPECTACULAR. Absolutely. I love them. This has potential to be fantastic, and if it works out, I can see this getting a LOT of use.

Say, what program are you using to edit the palette anyhow?

Now that MotorRoach linked here in his topic, I guess I gotta start working on this again.

Just messing with colors, not sure if these will make it in or not...

Steel Blue
Z6xu8Xw.png

Teal
8tRcAkZ.png

EDIT:

Here we go, Seraphic Skylands looks a lot better:
a0h7JOX.png

The problem was that I neglected how the upper shades of blue were very dry, so it made stuff using the upper colors for a pastel look were butchered by the palette. It's better now. I reverted yellow for the time being until I can figure out a good alternative.

Last edited:
This is really nice. Sonic's shade of blue in this wad remind me a lot of Sonic's sprites from Sonic Before The Sequel.

On a slightly unrelated note, where is that Seraphic Skylands level from? Is it a new CTF level I'm unaware of, or is it part of a level pack? Because it looks really nice.

Last edited:
Seraphic Skylands is from the OLDC.

On another note more related to the topic, the screenshots look rather nice. I'll see about testing this.

Edit: This looks rather good! Teal and Blue look /really/ good together with this palette, So erm... yeah.

Last edited:
One of my problems with this palette (which is rare to say the least) has been the white/greys. I LOVE the blue tone on them, I really do, but something has been off. I think the brightest shade of white isn't bright enough, it seems almost tinted. It brings a depressive atmosphere that's hard to look at without hurting my eyes for a while.

EDIT: Nope it definitely is white as white can be up there. I think the abundance of blue is too much though, maybe it could use a bit more grey in the GREY region itself, but not get rid of the slight blue hue entirely.

Last edited:
I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I liked the more mustard-yellow tones for the HUD over the lemon-yellow tones. It might just be a personal preference; in all honesty, either or looks fine.

Those cooler colors however, are simply gorgeous -- especially the blues.

after a lot of sitting on it, here's the update

+) Custom TRANS* lumps, for more accurate translucency
+) New FlashPals
*) Reworked Steel Blue, Cyan, Blue, and Teal (might as well call this the blue update)
*) Made the shades of Purple fade together better
*) The blue-tint on the grays are much more subtle (following Iceman's advice)
-) Reverted Yellow back, as none of the color replacements I've used for it works well. Sorry.

Enjoy~

Last edited:
No offense, but I think the new blue looks drier, and I personally preferred the mustard yellow. But that's just me.

Last edited:
No offense, but I think the new blue looks drier, and I personally preferred the mustard yellow. But that's just me.

The dryness is intentional, else we get this on anything that uses the drier upper shades for a pastel look. (I really did not want my palette to ruin Seraphic Skylands, as beautiful as it is)

Yeah, the mustard yellow was pretty hit or miss for some, so I turned it back (Well, technically the brighter shades blend more smoothly together in mine but you can barely even notice it).

If things went my way, the yellow would be the slightly more golden one I showed here (yes, its different from the mustard one), but the fade in/out had a blindingly bright yellow spot in any scene that had yellow in it, which was most noticeable when skipping the intro at the beginning of the game. I could not get the colors both how I wanted and have a fixed COLORMAP issue.

The best way to get good Yellow in SRB2 is, well, not use it. Use only the pure yellow shade (#FFFF00), and then use the Gold colors for the darker shades. For examples of this, Chuckles shoes and the title screen ring. If the sprites are using the dark Olive colors, they probably meant for Olive.

I'd like to point something out. On older versions of this mod, it didn't set the game off and say you've modified the game, etc. Maybe you could fix that so I can play online with this and such.

I'd like to point something out. On older versions of this mod, it didn't set the game off and say you've modified the game, etc. Maybe you could fix that so I can play online with this and such.

Hm, it looks like the TRANS** lumps I've added in this version activates the modification check. 'Tis a shame, because these lumps provide more accurate translucency in Software. I'll remove the lumps and upload a multiplayer/unlockables compatible version soon, and if I make another version I'll just leave them out entirely.

Back to the palettes, Pink seems a bit off, but that might just be me.

Which one; the pink used by the skin color, or the brighter red shades? If the latter, then yes, it's purposely off to give Knuckles a slight orange highlight. The skin-color one, while I had recolored it, it's not very far from the original.

Speaking of older versions, do you still have the previous version of this mod?

No, sorry. I lost a lot of my SRB2 projects a while back (The Blue Update was redone from scratch, with only old screenshots to help get some of the original colors back... ;_;) so I no longer have any of the older versions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back