• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Super Rings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larz T

Bool Man Larry
Judge
For the past two days (as of 4/27/14), I've have been working on the Super Ring...Ring. I plan to release this as a resource wad so anyone can use for their mods as long as they give credit where it's due. I also plan to release a script that makes all the Super Ring Monitors turn into Super Rings so if the person isn't working on anything, they can at least experience on what this does by playing through the whole campaign with the Super Rings.

Here are some pictures:
8qt9U.png

8qtaW.gif

8rfrh

Dem Super Rings Bro

The only reason the sprites look the way they are is because I'm using Bolt the Lightning's sprites from Unleashed_graphicv5.wad as a placeholder until I actually get around to making my own sprites.

Also here's a to do list that will be updated throughout the development process:
  • Make CTF Super Rings and make sure only Team Members of the ring's color can pick them up.
  • Test to see if the Super Rings add up to the Perfect Bonus.
  • Make Super Ring sprites and Super Ring sparks (when the player picks the object up).
  • Make sure the Super Rings respawn in Multiplayer.

So that's pretty much it for now. Like I said, I'll update this thread from time to time whenever I have more progress done. Any suggestions or criticism is welcomed here.

Last edited:
If I were you, I'd remove the 10. I know why it's there and all but there are better ways to indicate that it's a super ring. I'd recommend making a giant silver or diamond (cyan) colored ring.

If I were you, I'd remove the 10. I know why it's there and all but there are better ways to indicate that it's a super ring. I'd recommend making a giant silver or diamond (cyan) colored ring.

Hmm... How about I make the Super Ring like a dime or something like that? Also how would I indicate the CTF Super Rings?

Hmm... How about I make the Super Ring like a dime or something like that? Also how would I indicate the CTF Super Rings?

By making these blue or red maybe...?
EDIT: Also, they are way too big, you should reduce their size!

By making these blue or red maybe...?
EDIT: Also, they are way too big, you should reduce their size!

Got it. I'll make the Super Ring sprites a little bit bigger than a regular ring once I get around to spriting the sprites.

Added Super Rings for CTF and they work correctly. Special thanks to MonsterIestyn for helping me with some stuff in the process. Check the gallery to see the Super CTF Rings.

Last edited:
if I may ask, how did you get your custom rings to work? My silver Ring box currently doesn't give out any rings.

if I may ask, how did you get your custom rings to work? My silver Ring box currently doesn't give out any rings.

I have made one that works perfectly for new horizons, with SOCs.

Sorry for the late response.

I think it may have something to do with the Silver Ring Icon but other than that, I completely don't know. I only know a little bit of Lua and I have yet to learn how to make awesome shit with it.

it's already set to that. the problem is the box disappears before the rings can be awarded and the icon never shows up.
And apparently it breaks thing type 100 (Blue Crawla)

Edit: problem now seems to lie with the icon possibly using outdated states.

Thank you for your help, but now I have to locate documentation on the new states.

Good luck on your super rings.

Last edited:
Update: 5/9/13

Alright so updates. The Super Rings are now added to the Perfect Bonus count. Special thanks to MonsterIestyn for helping me pull that off. Seriously, the concept for that is really clever. Also I recorded myself playing through the "important locations" of Greenflower Zone Act 2 that showcase the Super Rings instead of showing you guys another .gif (and so I won't waste a shit ton of space from making the .gif). You can click here to see the video or check it out in the gallery.

In other news, I had made one sprite so far for the Super Rings. I'm going with the traditional route with this one and sticking to the design that the Super Rings are presented in recent Sonic games (Ex. Sonic Lost World).
8FKTo.png
I was going to make the Super Ring animation very smooth as it is in vanilla but I found out that the vanilla Ring sprites are actually made from 3D Models so...

Please tell me what I could do to make this design better. It's a start though but I feel like I can do more with it. Especially with the 10 in the middle. If you want to provide like a mock-up sprite that I can refer to when I try spriting again, that'd be great. You don't have to but you are more than welcomed to.

That super ring looks great, I love the desing!

I can't give you a good advice... Maybe you can make the 10 twinkle while the ring is spinning, just saying.

Also, the ring looks a lot like this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back