Filling any texture field with linedef type 443 causes it to not execute

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yacker

Metallic
Filling any front texture field alongside the upper texture will cause it to not execute the Lua code pointed to in the upper texture. Back textures can be freely set without problem, though. This is problematic because you can't use those textures to store information for the Lua to use, making it more difficult to create custom linedef types.

Last edited by a moderator:
The issue here is that Lua hook name references can be longer than 8 characters. By using the three front side textures stitched together, you can refer to Lua hook names that are up to 24 characters long, which is a much more reasonable limit. It's a small price to pay, considering information can be stored via other methods - perhaps an auxilliary linedef on the same control sector?

Ah, I missed that part, didn't know it was intentional. Though, needing more than 8 seems overkill, there's other ways to go about it though so what ever. Though, the linedef special info dropdown thing for it on the wiki should be updated to reflect the fact that all 3 textures are used, as that's what lead me to my confusion, I tend to just read that to get an idea of what linedefs do.

Though, needing more than 8 seems overkill, there's other ways to go about it though so what ever.
What if you want something like "CHECKPLAYERSPEED", for a function that checks if the mobj is a player and if its speed is above a value? Sure, "CHKPLSPD" or "CHECKSPD" could both work, but putting "CHECK" as upper, "PLAYER" as middle, and "SPEED" as lower would make much more sense. I could come up with something that would be really hard to appropriately cut down to 8 characters if I tried hard enough, but that example above will have to suffice. (I'm not sure if you have to fill out 8 characters in one texture before being able to use the next, so the example might not be as sensible as I think it is.)

Though, the linedef special info dropdown thing for it on the wiki should be updated to reflect the fact that all 3 textures are used, as that's what lead me to my confusion, I tend to just read that to get an idea of what linedefs do.
Hm? *Checks the wiki* ...Indeed. I've changed that a bit now, although what I added could probably use some re-wording.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back