• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

I think srb2 doom biulder has a "trojan horse"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krabs

he/him
Sonic Team Junior
One of my friends told me that srb2 doom biulder has a "trojan horse" I starting beliving him when I saw a picture of a horse on the installer. it all started 2 months after I got doom biulder. I logged on to my computer and then all my files were gone. After a little searching, I spoted the files and dragged them back on the desktop. Later I started to think that it was because something deleted some sort of file that puts the files on your desktop every time you log in. I think the trojan horse did this but my only proof is that horse on the installer icon and that that file was deleted. If anyone has any more information about this, please telll me.

That is the stupidest reason to believe a program has a trojan horse I've ever heard.

Generally, if a ton of files suddenly vanishes, it's usually caused by a power surge of some sort. Think to what else happened back when it happened.

If it does, then why does everyone else who uses it never have problems with it.

The Dark Fox said:
Sure this isn't your friends' prank?

My friend is the worst liar in history. I can tell. He isn't pulling a prank. I hope...

Draykon said:
That is the stupidest reason to believe a program has a trojan horse I've ever heard.

Generally, if a ton of files suddenly vanishes, it's usually caused by a power surge of some sort. Think to what else happened back when it happened.

When I virus scanned the conputer, I saw some detections labeled "trojan" BUT I kind of believe you because once I accidentially turned of the computer while it was loading my desktop and I think it was the day before my desktop had no files on it. I dont know.

That's not a horse. That happens to be a gargoyle. Plus, why the hell would any "trojan horse" virus have a picture for a horse? It's not a reference to an actual horse, it's a reference to an ancient greek myth. Have you seriously never heard of the "trojan horse" story? Also, is this text a trojan horse virus because it says "horse"?

darkbob1713 said:
Draykon said:

When I virus scanned the conputer, I saw some detections labeled "trojan" BUT I kind of believe you because once I accidentially turned of the computer while it was loading my desktop and I think it was the day before my desktop had no files on it. I dont know.
That definitely sounds like a good cause to me.

nitro_the_hedghog said:
Is there anything else you downloaded recently?
the last thing i downloaded is this wad called "acid missle" i'm not sure though.

darkbob1713 said:
nitro_the_hedghog said:
Is there anything else you downloaded recently?
the last thing i downloaded is this wad called "acid missle" i'm not sure though.

Yeah, that'll be it, FF likes to put viruses in releases, they're hidden files you can't see when you download it.

darkbob1713 said:
file that puts the files on your desktop every time you log in.

It's called explorer.exe and you wouldn't even have a desktop if it didn't exist, hell, you wouldn't have a task bar either.

Believe it the same thing happened to me! I went on the capooter(Ca-Poot-Er is my special way of say CPU) and it was really slow. So,I went to see what could be causing it by doing a virus scan with Norton. When it was done it said in the EVIL folder bin area as I call it "Trojan Horse". The horse pic is the trojan package side effect that sort of tips off the problem to the user. The trojan it self is not virus it is a package loaded with viruses. The reason why no one else has had a problem is because the trojan does'nt activate at first. The viruses activate from a file being opened. It activates then. It can do many stupid things when it does. You know what just read the rest here right from wikipedia:
Trojan Horse(computing)

In the context of computing and software, a Trojan horse, or simply trojan, is a piece of software which appears to perform a certain action but in fact performs another such as a computer virus. Contrary to popular belief, this action, usually encoded in a hidden payload, may or may not be actually malicious, but Trojan horses are notorious today for their use in the installation of backdoor programs. Simply put, a Trojan horse is not a computer virus. Unlike such malware, it does not propagate by self-replication but relies heavily on the exploitation of an end-user (see Social engineering). It is instead a categorical attribute which can encompass many different forms of codes. Therefore, a computer worm or virus may be a Trojan horse. The term is derived from the classical story of the Trojan Horse.

In the field of computer architecture, 'Trojan Horse' can also refer to security loopholes that allow kernel code to access anything for which it is not authorized.

About the desktop issue, if you log in with the main administrator account rather than your normal account most of the stuff in the desktop will vanish. When you see the desktop, you see what's both on your desktop and administrator's desktop. Of course that when you use that account you only see administrator's desktop. Moving all the files there makes them available to all users, not just you :P

ummm I'm not so sure, My computer is freaking out at the fact that doom builders there, nortons considering it a threat. Its probly just dumb luck, I was scared so much I lost all of srb2 crap due to my own parionia

Just so you know, sometimes viruses can intercept files while they're being sent. Also Norton is stupid :P Does Doom Builder use UPX? Because in that case some antiviruses may detect it as a virus accidentally due to the compression.

The prismatic angel said:
Believe it the same thing happened to me! I went on the capooter(Ca-Poot-Er is my special way of say CPU)

Alright, seriously, since everything else has been addressed, this needs it too.

1) Pronouncing "computer" that way is ridiculous. :/
2) Even if you pronounce it that way, why type it that way?
3) Your CPU is not your computer. To act as if it is only makes you look foolish. I recommend you not use "CPU" instead of "computer" again.

And guys, if you think SRB2DB has a Trojan, why don't you look in its code to see if one is actually there? In all seriousness, with open-source software, chances of hiding a Trojan there is slim to none. I highly doubt that this many people would be using SRB2DB if it had a trojan, and I also doubt Alam would allow the source on the SVN if it did.

Dark Warrior said:
3) Your CPU is not your computer. To act as if it is only makes you look foolish. I recommend you not use "CPU" instead of "computer" again.

Most people say "hard drive" instead of computer where I live. =P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back