[Wii] - Donkey Kong Country Returns

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've played the majority of this game and hollllyyyy shit has it blown me away. The controls are nice and smooth with no random jumping around. The game itself looks great with beautiful levels. My personal favorite's are the ones where all the foreground characters are black excluding some bright colors which are wonderful on the eye. The music is classic remakes of DKC music that will make any person that grew up with that game nostalgia back to it. The game also has a wonderful difficulty curve proper for a DKC game.

All in all I give this game a 9/10

I think the point of the Super Guide is that developers can give new players a chance to beat the game without having to nerf the difficulty for the more experienced players.

You want my take, though? I remember when I was young and first playing video games on the NES and SNES that were quite unforgiving. Yes, I could only play through a small fraction of the game but I liked it that way.

I dunno Cranky Kong, if you liked it that way, then you can still turn down the super guides. I know for a fact that I'm too stubborn to let the game win the level for me, and I usually would have been back in the day.* This just means that actually SEEING the later levels is no longer something to hold over the other's heads... which doesn't really work anyway thanks to the internet.

* - I would however, resort to using a walkthrough for the Tomb Raider games and more recently, Ocarina of Time... but its still not the same as letting the game play itself.

Ye bump.

Alright, for those that have the game, which world did you find hard to do?

I personally say World 4, why? It throws you a bunch of Mine Cart/Rocket Barrel levels that just spells death all over...

4-5... WHY DID THEY MAKE THIS... >_> A simple hit and it's over.

If you think that's unfair, just you wait until some of the really late stuff. 8-3 made me rage REAL hard. I went in with like, 30 lives and came out with 1. I did manage to beat the game without seeing the Game Over screen, but it was sure close.

Now... how could I forget about the Mine Cart/Rocket Barrels in World 8?

At least at the beginning in 8-3, you can have unlimited lives if you kept re-entering the Bonus Barrel each time you die, however... once you pass a checkpoint... your on your own.

Even 8-2 has this at the beginning with the Bonus Barrel. >_>

I can't say how many lives I lost in total, really, however it wasn't enough for a Game Over, well... the first Game Over, really.

So far I haven't got past the first level. Maybe it's because this is my first introduction to DKC, but man, this game is unforgiving. I typically don't like it when I get Game Over'd three minutes into the thing.

Yup. I'm in World 3 so far, and I can attest that this game is harder still if you don't have DKC experience. I did get the original on VC shortly after though. Anyone notice that the KONG letters are a lot harder to get to than in the SNES games?

Yup. I'm in World 3 so far, and I can attest that this game is harder still if you don't have DKC experience. I did get the original on VC shortly after though. Anyone notice that the KONG letters are a lot harder to get to than in the SNES games?

Probably because they lead to a reward instead of giving you a 1up if you get them in all of the levels. (Not counting Boss stages, because... well, KONG Letters don't appear in bosses. >_>)

That's my only guess, really.

I really like this game so far. I like how the background stuff interacts with the foreground (falling rocks, tidal waves and so on) and other gimmicks. I really like how the controls feel, especially in the wiimote + nunchuck configuration. The difficulty is very challenging, sometimes to the point of frustration, but I still had fun on those parts. Overall I think this is fun and feels very interactive.

Oh I am in world 5 at the moment. I plan to take my time in beating this game as I try to do with every game nowadays.

I've been playing DKC1 (gift from D00D64), DKC3 GBA (loaned from my roommate), and DKCR simultaneously so the difficulty isn't really bothering me though I have seen plenty game overs in the latter two game. I got partway through the first world in DKC1 but forgot to save, I beat DKC3 but don't really feel like unlocking the lost world considering it IS a borrowed game, and I just made it to the cave world in DKCR.

I haven't seen any of DKC1's bosses, but I can say that the bosses in DKCR are a huge improvement over those in DKL1&2 and DKC3 GBA. I've been playing DKCR mostly in co-op which is responsible for a huge portion of my game overs, since you lose balloons twice as fast and have half the health. (you lose balloons three times as fast if you're playing with an idiot)

I'm sorry to see that there are no crocodiles this time around, but the tikis are a fresh addition and lend a sort of uniqueness to the title.

Already beat the game with all of the letters and puzzle pieces, but still need to finish the rest of
Mirror Mode, finished most of the levels which are almost all of the most difficult levels.

Some levels were difficult while others just plain brutal but they were a lot of fun overall. A lot of lives were lost but I never saw the game over screen since I would normally try to keep in the 10s or higher.

This game is a lot of fun and challenging as well as easily replayable a lot of the time.
Though, in the extras it looked like World 9 was going to full set of levels instead of one, I wished they did a whole set of levels for the world if it was possible.

Last edited:
Yeah, this is a really hard game, but I beat 9-1! Eventually...
Getting all the K-O-N-G lettters in a world lets you go to the Key Temple there, where you can get an Orb Key (real name?) for 9-1!

I managed to beat the final boss on my last balloon. Throughout most of the later worlds I was careful to go into the levels with 20-30 balloons and get as many banana medallions as I could manage to cover my spending.

I've always been the sort to do really stupid things for the sake of one of the KONG letters, even on the gameboy games. If you get a puzzle piece and die, you still have it, but you need to get all the KONG letters per checkpoint. I'll probably make the KONG letters the priority over finding puzzle pieces or time attacking levels. That and the locked paths.

So far, I really liked what they did with this game. I hope Retro Studios comes back to re-imagine more of the DKC environments. Particularly the likes of Bramble Blast, Hornet Hole, and Gangplank Galleon (no, those beach levels don't count). I'd love to see what these themes would soun- I mean play like.

I'm near the completion of World 5 (just gotta beat the K level, then the boss), and I can honestly say that this is a very good game. The main stages are a tad on the easy side but the K levels totally make up for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back