Slopes

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's a cartesian coordinate anyway?

Cartesian coordinate is the position of a certain point given by X,Y,Z.

In SRB2, X and Y are the coords of a point where you (the player) or an object is located in the map. Z is the height. Have you never used DEVMODE or OBJECTPLACE before?

Objectplace.png

... and you see the same X,Y and Z when you're using SRB2DB too.

You're talking about the rendering of slopes in SRB2, right?

If all problems were only rendering...

Slopes in SRB2 have (or would have) two main problems:

1) Rendering: How to render flats and walls? "Everything" in SRB2 is rendered as vertical and horizontal planes.

2) Collision: Collision is, say, what makes walls, floor and ceilings solid. If a wall doesn't have collision, player can go through the wall.

How will a character or enemy walk on or fall on a sloping plan? SRB2 checks sector's height, then an object is placed according to (or relative to) sector's height.

So... player steps on sector x, its floor height is 64FU, then SRB2 places the player at Z=64FU (if the character is flying, then 64FU + a flight height). If the sector is a slope, then what's its floor height? Once a sloping plan has a variable height, it's impossible to place the object accordingly, therefore no proper collision.

Last edited:
I've only realy used devmode in the placement of the items of the OLDC level End Year of NiGHTS.

Everyone who wants slopes said:
So what's a vector coordinate?

What's a cartesian coordinate anyway?

I think this just underscores how unqualified most people are to talk about this.

Might be better to use an image.

So what's a vector coordinate?
I think this is why you don't understand how impossible slopes are... The easiest comparison I can make is... have you seen Flash animations? Well, the drawings data in flash are VECTORS instead of pictures made of PIXELS...
You could say a drawing in pixels are a collection of many dots, which is exactly what a cartesian representation is, IIRC. Now, vectors store data in shapes, the have formulas that make them have the shape they do and, they are generally used in physics to determine strength, length and speed... and like... SSN help me here. :( (Basically, if your world were entirely constructed out of vectors, you could easily calculate the perpendicular vector off a slope, thus being able to calculate the strength, direction and speed of a jump off a slope... Or that's at least what I remember)

Ah, Like Photoshop (pixels) and Illustrator (vector). now I get it. Well I know what I'm attempting a few projects down the road.

If you're thinking about trying to actually implement vectorial forces in srb2, I'd recommend you learn some coding first.
(mostly because you'll basically have to rewwrite the entire thing from scratchnsniff)

Comparing vectors in game design and vectors in image manipulation is not a fair comparison at all. You're missing an entire dimension.

True fact: SRB2 isn't actually 3D. It's just cleverly drawn lines, that are constantly redrawn based on your angle and camera. At least, that's the basis of the software renderer.

You're going to need extensive research and knowledge on vector-based mathematics (and, by extension, advanced functions) if you even want to consider coding them in. This isn't a plug-code-in-and-play sort of deal here.

Hey, never said my explanation was the real deal, just some hyperbole to make the thing easier to understand, and I did tell him that he'd need to basically rewrite the entire thing.
Now, me being clueless about the thing, that's a different thing. :(

None of the above posters have any idea what they're talking about.

Okay, vectors for dummies. Cartesian coordinates give you information about where your object is. Vector coordinates give you information on where your object is going to be according to all the different forces that affect it, its own momentum, gravity, and in this case also slope drag.

In order to make proper slopes happen in SRB2, right now you'd have to convert from cartesian to vector, then from vector back to cartesian. While this is completely doable, it's a ridiculous amount of work compared to if you just used vectors from the get go.

And this, boys and girls, is why Wizard is DEEEEEELICIOUS.

but but but... I did mention vectors are used to determined forces! How can this be wrong!?

lol @ noobs not knowing Cartesian

(I don't understand why people are giving examples with SRB2, and not just plain math)

Vectorz r hawt. TAIL TO END DAMNIT

What's all this about SRB2 needing to use co-ordinate vectors to support slopes? GZDoom uses 2D cartesian co-ordinates, like any other game. Also, it wouldn't take a rewrite, though it would take a lot of ingenuity with the software renderer, since it's not got many modifications from the original DOOM.

One step at a time SSN. I already believe the base for Sonic slope physics is in the game. Key word "base", See also Start point. I believe that slope physics can be made based off of modified conveyor belt code.

Why do I feel like I'm trying to push heath care through when it comes to slopes?

Last edited:

One step at a time SSN. I already believe the base for Sonic slope physics is in the game. Key word "base", See also Start point. I believe that slope physics can be made based off of modified conveyor belt code.

this is only another way to fake a slope.

Hey, if you think it can be done, go ahead and do it. But all I've heard over 12 years is just talk with no action.

Okay then. *Downloads Visual C++, the source code of Skull Tag v97c2, and the source of Zdoom 2.4.1*

Wish me luck.

Last edited:
Okay then. *Downloads Visual C++, the source code of Skull Tag v97c2, and the source of Zdoom 2.4.1*

Wish me luck.

You realise that physics code is probably some of the nastiest stuff to tackle right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back