The best level of srb2 levels or OLDC.

2.1: I really loved Digital Empire. Very difficult, but everything was put together so well, I didn't want it to end. For single maps, Seraphic Skylands has some intense prettiness.
2.0: Dumbventure, hands down. But since D00D64-X already self-promoted, I'd have to go with Thompson's maps - Sparkling Icecap, Twilight Isles, etc.
1.09.4: BMCDRZ2, a level pack by Penopat. Specifically, Sinow Forest Zone 12, which I love to pieces for its deconstruction of the medium.

Last edited:
Mystic realm and tortured planet are my favorite level packs. Gravity garden is my favorite single level.

Last edited:
2.1: The Emerald Isles Was my absolute favorite levelpack back in 1.09.4, there was pretty much nothing around that could hold a candle to it (Besides Morph's Levelpack). Its been ported to 2.1 and has had a few levels redesigned, so go take a look.

2.1: Clock Towers Introduced a whole new style of 2D mode that literally no one else has bothered to use.

2.0: Hidden Sanctuary is a short but satisfying single level with a pretty theme, despite the simplistic texture use.

2.0: Oceanic Cove is arguably the largest single level in 2.0. Originally a 1.09.4 mega level, it was split into two acts to save SRB2 sanity when trying to run it. Still enjoyable today, and a shame it hasn't been brought over to 2.1.

2.1:

Glacier Gear: A cool ice level with some clever platforming mechanics. Strong visual design and feels fresh for an early 2.1 map. http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=40447

Haunted Heights: An extremely solidly-built map that, although lacking in unique gimmicks, has enough pure polish to be worth playing. http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=40495

Quickweeb: A cool little emulation of Mega Man-esque 2D platforming. Almost makes up for the theme. Almost. http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=40375

Updoer: A clever test of SRB2's physics that will challenge the most skilled players. Pass on the last map, though. http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=40372

And while I wouldn't consider it a highlight of the community, I thought SRB2MD was cute.

2.0:

Dumbventure: Cleverly built, cleverly written, and loads of fun. I can't believe it gets away with blatantly throwing random garbage together. Probably my favorite level in the entire SRB2 community. http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=40443 (2.1 port)

Antiland: A fun, mind-bending puzzle map. Definitely a different experience from most 2.0 maps. http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=37915

Cloud Cradle and its golf counterpart: I haven't actually played this in a while so it might just be nostalgia, but I always thought the map was pretty clever, despite being short and kind of cheap in spots. http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=32552 http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=33212

I haven't played 1.09.x in way too long to bring up much aside from Botanic Serenity. Most of it is probably pretty trash by current standards anyway.

I wouldn't say these are the best levels of SRB2 history and you should forget all the levels that everyone else has made. These are some of my personal favorites that really synced into my memory banks and remembering having a blast with. Maybe sometime in the future I'll post an update when the 2.2 era kicks in but for now, these are some of my personal favorites.

The Emerald Isles - I never really played The Emerald Isles back in the 2.0 days but when I saw a port for 2.1 I was willing to try it out and I have to say, the level design is pretty great and I always enjoy replaying through the mod from start to finish.

Clock Towers Zone - Introduced a new concept of playing and designing a level with Axis2D. Like Chrome said, nobody other than one other person has used Axis2D for anything and it's a shame. We could really get some cool and interesting level ideas out there using Axis2D.

Glacier Gear Zone - Probably the only ice themed level I can tolerate for a while. Seriously though, this level had some unique ideas with the Wacky Workbench floors and the new goop (at the time) and the music was really good.

Cloud Convoy Zone - Another level made by toaster. I voted this level first place back in the July/August 2014 OLDC and my reason for it still stands. But other than that, it's a really fun short level that takes the concept of Sky Chase Zone from Sonic 2 and adds it to SRB2. I wish this was brought back with an update and maybe see this idea worked in with other themes.

I'll do the 2.0 era later but for now, I'm feeling lazy.

Since I technically hadn't played anything before the 2.1 contest, so I won't have a 2.0 contest section. The winners for me are:

Seraphic Skylands Zone
Quickman
Quickman 2
Proud Sky
Scarlet Lake

I was waiting for a thread like this to show up just to say my personal favorite SRB2 level would be Thompson's Clockwork Grove Zone back in 2.0. Everything about it I just loved thematically and it stood out to me in a way other levels really haven't despite the fact the layout itself is pretty confusing the first couple of times through. There's definite flaws throughout it, but the unique and creative gimmicks along with multiple pathways made it very enjoyable regardless; planting a seed to get a large beanstalk to grow and changing the time of day to get plants to rise being among them.

Seraphic Skylands
Gravity Garden
Srb2 & Knuckles With Chuckles at FlipGoop Station with Knuckles
Clockwork Towers
Sacred Woodland
Haunted Heights

Sapphire Coast Series
Eggmansion Series
Srb2: Dumbventure
Sparkling Icecap
Chemical Facility
Sonic's Schoolhouse

What, nobody's mentioned EGGMANWAY7:Quest for Eggmanways 1 through 4 - REVENGE OF FINAL DEMO?????????

it's in one of the most recent oldc topics

What, nobody's mentioned EGGMANWAY7:Quest for Eggmanways 1 through 4 - REVENGE OF FINAL DEMO?????????

it's in one of the most recent oldc topics

I've played Eggmanway long time ago. But it disappeared from the surface. Eggmanway5 is around, but I'd really like to play Eggmanway7 again :\

You really can't mention anything besides your own level?

Anyway, only OLDC map I truly remember off the top of my head is Vibrant Vendetta Zone. People said it ruined the joke but it was a solid enough level and hey, it's the only one I didn't have to sift through the wiki to remember.

Mystic Realm was also pretty awesome back in the 1.09 days. Better than the main game at the time. There was also Kuja's The Emerald Isles that I particularly remembered enjoying. There were a ton of level packs back during 1.09 I couldn't possibly remember and while they would probably show their age or seem basic compared to what SRB2 has now they were tons of fun. It's a shame we don't see as many now.

Oh, and SRB2Kart is one of the best .exe mods ever, any version.

Last edited:
You really can't mention anything besides your own level

He asked for the best level, so I joked and pointed out my map was the highest rated OLDC map in the SP divison's history. Also, way to call me out for a joke I made 3 years ago. Took you long enough.

The levels that truly blew my mind, in rough order of mind-blow, are:

Oceanic Cove Zone, by 123Runite
- basically a whole world-in-a-zone
- the music makes me wanna cry

BlueZero4's completed levels
- atmospheric in a way few people managed or have managed since
- beautiful architecture

Kodachrome Void Zone, by Boinciel
- holy shit my eyes
- hard as hell, in a fun way
- this is one of those levels that I don't even know how the author pulled it off
- one of the few levels on this list that was made in the last few years
- music is bangin' too

The Emerald Isles, by Kuja
- the first zone blew my mind as a kid, I didn't know levels could even manage that type of scale
- makes you feel like you're exploring an entire damn continent

Dumbventure, by D00D64
- playful, fun and hilarious to boot
- dumb story, smart level design
- actually feels like an adventure! No one's really made this style of level progression since, as far as I'm aware. It's more something I'd expect from Doom's community, not SRB2's

Undersea Palace, by Callum
- I have a thing for tidal tempest music, okay?
- felt big and mysterious and dangerous
- idk if people even remember this one, tbh, it was in an OLDC I didn't bother looking up

Most stuff by Thompson
- I was pretty jealous of this guy's ideas so I always tried my hardest to hate his levels when I played them. Despite that they were still some terribly amazing levels. Blame middle-school angst, I guess.

I guess this list is pretty old and I've probably forgotten a few. Mostly, I have awesome memories of these levels as a kid, when I was young and impressionable. As I get older, my mind is less and less likely to get blown by SRB2 levels, and I guess that's just part of getting older.

Last edited:
I have a few mentions of levels that I enjoy a lot on this game, in no particular order:

Mystic Realm
Technically a level pack but, it was the first modification I played back when I started playing in 2.0.X. It has quite a nostalgic value for me now, specially the music.

Oceanic Cove Zone
A friend showed me this level a while ago and I'm still grateful. Every second of this level was an amazing experience, a lot of content to explore, felt like a completly different experience. Totally worth all the hours I spent on it. I still revisit it from time to time.

Illumination Aerie Zone
Probably my favourite level at the moment. This is probably the only map on srb2 that gives me a soothing feeling, from the music and the color combination, a surreal experience. One of the most unique maps I've played and I recommend playing. This map also was my main source of inspiration for my Kawaiii entry.

Mondo Mountain
It's hard to explain why I like this one a lot. A very solid and charming level, had lots of fun looking for the emeralds on the mountains.

Kodachrome Void Zone
Pretty much got mindblow after playing this zone. It showed me that creativity has no limits when it comes to map design.

Peak Waterfalls Zone
A special mention. It was a definitely good experience and I think I still didn't fully explored it yet. Lots of paths and secrets, clever slope usage and visuals on point. I sense a lot of potential from this creator and I'd love to see more of their work.

Moonlit Island
While I don't really play match on this game had to mention this one. Everything on this level feels pretty natural and the lighting effects are amazing. I'll shamelessly admit I must have spent a fair amount of time on this zone just hanging out and admiring the attention of detail on it.

metalmaddnessbeta4fix is the only good level pack ever made sorry not sorry, rest in peace silverring's availability online 🦁7

But really, I'm oddly fond of Golden Ruins despite its jank and garbage final boss arena, don't have any attachment to any 2.x levels for now, sorry everyone. bmcdrz2 and sbahj are also good ol kneeslappers.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back