September/October 2009 Voting

Status
Not open for further replies.
So how did MCZ2 get a higher score than the original MCZ2 from that May/June 08 contest? The original MCZ2 really was a lot better.

You kidding? It was a goddamn frustrating MESS. I'm glad he revamped it. It was easily the most annoying of all Lost World levels, and now it's actually quite fun. Also, none of those stupid "spin on the thing that totally does not look spinning on it will actually do anything" platforms.

Don't worry, those platforms will be back later on in the level =P The contest version is only about 50% done. I WILL, however, give players a hint on what to do.

I agree with Sonic Master, the old MCZ2 was MUCH better, the new one's textures didn't fit the them Blade had set from the old one, that and with the spam of flametrhowers and rocks it got quite boring. I was gonna give this a 6 or 7, but I went ahead and gave it a 9, even though I ment to put a 8, I was in a rush to put my vote in so I didn't make sure every thing was right. Also, D00D64, What was wrong with the spin-rise platforms? Sure there could have been a little hint or something and a better texture, but they was still cool.

I should stop now realy, the voting is over after all. :P

I agree with Sonic Master, the old MCZ2 was MUCH better, the new one's textures didn't fit the them Blade had set from the old one, that and with the spam of flametrhowers and rocks it got quite boring. I was gonna give this a 6 or 7, but I went ahead and gave it a 9, even though I ment to put a 8, I was in a rush to put my vote in so I didn't make sure every thing was right.
How you can decide to give a level a six and "accidentally" give it a nine is unbelievable for me.

Also, D00D64, What was wrong with the spin-rise platforms? Sure there could have been a little hint or something and a better texture, but they was still cool.
They can be annoying to deal with.

The main problem that you and Blade have with your levels is that, when you find a gimmick, you overdo it to the point that it's just not fun.

Yeah, I was actually considering adding a "Your map must have SOME redeeming value" rule to the contest to prevent something like this from happening again.

Some LULZ in the OLDCs is good. The problem is that such maps made the average rating of this OLDC the lowest since NovDec'08 OLDC.

The old MCZ2 was better to a certain degree; this one was also big mess considering the amount of obstacles which made the level quite hard. Also, the unclimbable walls were a bit unfair considering that once your gliding above a Death Pit, your as good as dead.

The old MCZ2 was better to a certain degree; this one was also big mess considering the amount of obstacles which made the level quite hard.
For me, the old one was harder. May I point at the last room where you had to avoid falling platforms in order to not die? That's what made it frustrating. The new one is better in that aspect, but yes, you overdid the gimmicks. Just cut down the length of the level and add new gimmicks in the new part. Also, regarding that spin-to-rise gimmick: At times it worked well, but there were parts where you could easily overshoot your destination and miss the next platform. Try to avoid this.

The old MCZ2 was love-hate... people either liked it due to its solid layout, or hated it due to its difficulty and less than obvious gimmicks. This one wasn't as great as the old one in my opinion, but because it was generally easier and had gimmicks that are easy to recognize across the board, there were fewer low scores to drop the average.

What I'd like to see with the new one would be (again) a return of the old visual style with the new cave textures merely supporting them rather than being the level's main appearance.
One thing I also felt was missing in what I played of the new one was a sense of direction. While I didn't exactly get lost, the old one felt a little more progressive as it went from volcanic themes to factory themes. The lava shaft is one feature in particular I miss.
Also, you have some interesting gimmicks here, but most of them were only really fun the first time around. Try to use the falling rocks and pulleys in more imaginitive ways, maybe start bringing in more of the mechanical aspect of the level later on.
Your things really need some cleanup, the overlapping sfx really gives this away from the very beginning. Try to use hazards as methodically as possible so that the placement of a flamethrower doesn't feel random or the player doesn't ask himself why he's crossing another pointless area with falling rocks again.
Lastly, the button room felt somewhat pointless. First, don't hide the button. Second, there needs to be a purpose for pressing the button whether it is in gameplay or behind the scenes. Maybe put it in a niche behind some flamethrowers or something.

Overall, I really liked the level, but it could use plenty of improvement. Do note that just because there are a ton of awesome new textures doesn't mean that the old ones are off-limits or that you shouldn't try to make your own. (although, I will probably go on a mad rampage if half the contest maps start using MMx again like they used to...)

Yes, the textures are some problem. The old brown textures gave the level its own style, something that is missing now. You can use some RVZ-styled textures, but using them exclusively makes the level seem even more repetitive. Also, I'd recommend using more metallic textures for the base. This might sound a bit stupid, but your texture choice makes the "factory" part look more like "Rock" than "Egg". It looks not mechanical or metallic enough. Try bringing back some THZ textures and mix them with the more metallic ones from ERZ. That might make your level even more unique.

And, as stated before, use either more gimmicks or make the level shorter.ö

I just watched archives and i found Canyon CTF.
This zone is funniest map ever!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Back