The Beatles: Rock Band

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spazzo

Why isn't there a thread for this yet?

Trailer --- Song List --- Press Release --- TV Commercial

I don't know about you, but I haven't been this excited for a game since...gosh, Super Smash Bros: Brawl? Not even.

This is a cut above any other game I've felt the need to get excited about. I mean, you have the leaders in the music game industry (Harmonix) making a game about one of the most influencial bands of all time (The Beatles). By those two factors alone, there's no way this game can't be a resounding success! I mean, who could screw up The Beatles + Music Video Game? Activision, probably... ... ...

Quoth The New York Times:

The Beatles: Rock Band is nothing less than a cultural watershed, one that may prove only slightly less influential than the band’s famous appearance on “The Ed Sullivan Show” in 1964. By reinterpreting an essential symbol of one generation in the medium and technology of another, The Beatles: Rock Band provides a transformative entertainment experience.

In that sense it may be the most important video game yet made.
I'm picking up the standalone title for Wii the day of (9/9/09), probably alongside two USB microphones that I'll need in order to utilise the full three-part harmonies. I wish I could get a Gretsch guitar alongside it, but I already have enough plastic instruments...

Am I the only one here who thinks this game is going to be as revolutionary as I'm saying it will be? Anyone else interested in purchasing it?

Last edited:
More important than Guitar Hero: Aerosmith? Lies!

Besides, I'm doubtful the Beatles will register very well with the musical preferences of today's youth. Or at least a sizable chunk of today's youth.

Last edited:

Besides, I'm doubtful that the Beatles will register very well with the musical preferences today's youth.

In that sense it may be the most important video game yet made.
.... I disagree. Its just beatles songs with oddly placed colored notes. I don't even see how its important.

Oh, and like someone said. In todays youth, the beatles ARE popular, but they suck. (Music isnt worth listening to)

I may pick up this game.... if it isnt over 100 dollars...

Last edited:
While I'm not a not a huge Beatles fanatic, I thought they produced some great stuff around the Abbey Road era, and Strawberry Fields Forever is one of my personal favorites. About when did they start to suck?

As for the game itself, I refuse to buy it unless Yoko Ono makes a vocal appearance.

I've heard about this game. This is a kind of Rock Band which plays The Beatles music right?
Well due to The Beatles having a number of albums...what will you do once you've played them all? You simply cant download more songs because The Beatles didn't make anymore music...

so what's the point of making this game?

Am I the only one here who thinks this game is going to be as revolutionary as I'm saying it will be?
On the Wii it isn't.

I'm glad it exists because Harmonix is going out of their way experimenting with things like a 3D background that doesn't just blend in with the HUD like RB2's venues do. After Harmonix has made RB Beatles, it'll definitely broaden their horizons. I'm looking forwards to RB3.

That said, I'm not really a Beatles kind of guy, so I'll probably wait until the game has dropped significantly in price before buying it. However, I think that a music game like Rock Band needs easily recognizable (and fun) tracks to play, and a Beatles game does that nicely. Because, you know, I don't think anybody heard of "Spoonman" before they heard it on Rock Band 2.

I don't see the point of buying a near identical game with different songs. I don't like Rock Band all too much, anyways.

Because, you know, I don't think anybody heard of "Spoonman" before they heard it on Rock Band 2.
Me. It's a pretty well known song and I knew it long before RB2 came out.

About the game, Rock Band has always been good, and with The Beatles' music on it, it can't fail.

EDIT: Why is Strawberry Fields Forever not on this? Seriously, how could they leave that one out.

Last edited:

Besides, I'm doubtful the Beatles will register very well with the musical preferences of today's youth. Or at least a sizable chunk of today's youth.

Beatles is still popular with younger people. They probably aren't as popular with "youth" as they used to be but they are still popular.

Its just beatles songs with oddly placed colored notes. I don't even see how its important.

I...actually agree. It's Beatles, sure. Don't get me wrong, I like them. But it's just another Rock Band with different songs, which isn't a bad thing. But I don't see how it will be revolutionary.

Autosaver said:
Oh, and like someone said. In todays youth, the beatles ARE popular, but they suck.

Beatles are popular, but they suck? What? Whatever, that's your opinion, nothing wrong with it..

Autosaver said:
Music isnt worth listening to

WTF

I...actually agree. It's Beatles, sure. Don't get me wrong, I like them. But it's just another Rock Band with different songs, which isn't a bad thing. But I don't see how it will be revolutionary.

The Beatles calalog is a closely guarded treasure. There's a reason the songs have never been put on iTunes or any sort of online distribution service. It's pretty astonishing in itself that out of everything possible, the first ever instance of The Beatles' music being licensed and used elsewhere goes to a video game.

If you still can't grasp what I'm getting at, just look at the Wikipedia article for The Beatles, just to get a better idea of how revolutionary they were as a band, and how this could potentially expose a whole new generation to the Beatles. It's like Beatlemania all over again!

Nah, the game is the same on the wii. Worse graphics, but they still look ok.

Actually, interestingly enough, if you look at some of the YouTube videos of direct-feed footage of the Wii version of the game, and compare it to the X360 version, they're almost identical. Maybe this is because the video didn't have an HQ option for a more accurate comparison, but other than some minor polish, they looked quite similar.

EDIT: Why is Strawberry Fields Forever not on this? Seriously, how could they leave that one out.

Strawberry Fields, while being a most excellent song, doesn't have that much in the way of guitar - it's piano based. It's the same reason why songs like Eleanor Rigby and Hey Jude aren't included. Sure, the game maps the guitar chart to violins occasionally (I Am The Walrus comes to mind), but you can only do that so many times. The violin is much closer to a guitar than a piano is, too.

I'm curious as to how challenging any of the Beatles' songs can really be. :/

This game isn't about enjoyment from a challenge, moreso enjoyment from the synergy produced by playing a game that includes songs embedded into the public consiousness. The novelty of being able to play songs from The Beatles sells itself here.

Besides, there are still some pretty challenging songs in the game. Nothing like Rock Band 2 has to offer, but hey, this game isn't about super-hyperspeed-fingers-falling-off solos (albeit hyperspeed mode is still in the game).

If you still do want a challenge, the vocals could probably take you for a wild ride, especially if you're singing harmonies.

Last edited:
I don't know how "revolutionary" this will be. I think this will go over quite well, but I don't predict any explosion of popularity here. Also, I'm seeing very little advertising.

The fact of the matter is, is that it is still just a sequel to an existing series, and will play pretty much the same. Yes, these are different songs, popular songs, even. But it's not the first Rock Band game, nor the first Guitar Hero game, nor the first Singstar game, etc.

It is, though, the first (and as of now, only) method of digital distribution for any of the Beatles' catalog. That honour being bestowed on a video game is revolutionary in itself.

As of this post, its metacritic score is one above that of the score for Guitar Hero 5.

It is, though, the first (and as of now, only) method of digital distribution for any of the Beatles' catalog. That honour being bestowed on a video game is revolutionary in itself.

As of this post, its metacritic score is one above that of the score for Guitar Hero 5.

This is coming from a long-time fan of Rock Band over Guitar Hero: You're kinda being too much of a fanboy about this. I can understand the digital distribution thing, but I draw the line at the MetaCritic gloating.

I have to agree with Bigboi here, you're really fanboying it up. I'm not denying the Beatles were great, I love their music too, but you need to draw the line somewhere.

Cue's thoughts and Mine

Posting this part for Cue:
<PocketCue>Yeah, uh, re that rb thread
<PocketCue>It's just the god damn beatles
<PocketCue>it's not going to be beatlemania again
<PocketCue>It won't be some explosive hiit, I doubt
<PocketCue>Maybe on the Wii cause that's the console your mom bought for Wii Fit
<PocketCue>But it's not some sort of revolution in the gaming industry
<PocketCue>Maybe it's a big thing in the music industry, but this is the video games fourm
And my thoughts on it are this:
1. I'm a metal head, so in all reality, the Beatles were great, but I'm not a fan of their music.
2. Beatles music seems INCREDIBLY easy to play with plastic guitars though singing at the same time might be a challenge.
3. It's a great game for some people, but people like me would be better off playing Guitar Hero: Metallica.
4. It seems like Spazzo is the only one that is super hyped up about this game. (ironic being his old name was SuperHyperSpazzo)

Last edited:
Cue said:
Beatles Rock Band won't be a hit, etc.

As of last week, it's earned #4, #6, and #11 spots on the American Preorder Charts. Totally won't be a hit.

2. Beatles music seems INCREDIBLY easy to play with plastic guitars though singing at the same time might be a challenge.

See: Helter Skelter, Back in the USSR, Revolution

Sure, they're not as tough as final tier RB2 songs, but they aren't easy by any means, either. You'll still have a great time playing them.

4. It seems like Spazzo is the only one that is super hyped up about this game. (ironic being his old name was SuperHyperSpazzo)

Admittingly, you have me here. I am psyched, and I haven't been like this for a game in a very long time. I don't generally let myself become this obsessive about something like a video game, but considering that it revolves around something which I hold dear to my heart, I made the exception.

I totally admit to fanboyism for The Beatles. I grew up on Rubber Soul. Moving on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back