(Spoilers) How exactly does the race work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDonoB

The race with Metal Sonic, I mean. I didn't want to put spoilers in the title.
I'm curious and I want to edit how Metal Sonic races you.

Does Metal Sonic follow a replay when he races? If so, is it possible to edit it?

Well, in zones.dta, there's a file called MAP24MS. I believe the key to this mystery lies in that file. Also, there appears to be a linedef that starts the race.

Well, in zones.dta, there's a file called MAP24MS. I believe the key to this mystery lies in that file. Also, there appears to be a linedef that starts the race.

I noticed that as well. The only thing I could actually read from it is "ðSRB2Replay"

EDIT: It is an SRB2 replay. I replaced it, and then Metal Sonic doesn't even start.

Last edited:
The "-metal" command-line parameter is used for recording Metal Sonic race replays.

In your editor of choice, set up the Metal Sonic Race Start object and the linedef executor to start the race (rig it up to a Level Load trigger for instant race starting), then test the map with the -metal parameter. Then just play, and alt-F4 when you finish. (You'll spawn at the Metal Sonic race start, so don't worry about repositioning the player start or anything.) The game will tell you what filename it saved the replay to. Then just put that lump in the level WAD and run it without the parameter.

It's actually really easy to do.

Edit: Here's a sample WAD.

Last edited:
When using -metal, normally, all you can use is Sonic, even if you use a command line to make your skin someone else's. However, if the map forces you to play as someone else like Echidnaopolis forces you to be Knuckles, you'll use him for the Metal Sonic ghost instead. As an added bonus, it turns out Metal Sonic outright kills enemies just by going straight at them. Oh, and being just replay data, Metal Sonic will imitate whoever was being recorded.

vEE3OPU.gif

If ya wanna try it for yourself, here's the wad.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7986587/echidnametalopolis.wad

(The skybox was just me trying it, and I dunno why some spikes are invisible somehow)

When using -metal, normally, all you can use is Sonic, even if you use a command line to make your skin someone else's. However, if the map forces you to play as someone else like Echidnaopolis forces you to be Knuckles, you'll use him for the Metal Sonic ghost instead. As an added bonus, it turns out Metal Sonic outright kills enemies just by going straight at them. Oh, and being just replay data, Metal Sonic will imitate whoever was being recorded.

vEE3OPU.gif

If ya wanna try it for yourself, here's the wad.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7986587/echidnametalopolis.wad

(The skybox was just me trying it, and I dunno why some spikes are invisible somehow)
Can't actually play this until I beat the srb1 remake, but it seems cool. Do the Ambush or Object Special flags do anything special? I don't see anything different. Also, what if you use Character WADs? And I wonder if I could make the level force you to use a certain character, record the replay, and then switch it back. Also, off-topic, but how long does it take before a user can edit the Wiki?

Object Special/Ambush do nothing special for Metal Sonic Race Start currently, if that's what you meant.

Also, off-topic, but how long does it take before a user can edit the Wiki?

As long as it takes for someone to remember to confirm your user account, I'll get on it right away. =V

I am having a some trouble making this work. Metal Sonic doesn't move for me. Someone help me please.

Last edited:
Can't actually play this until I beat the srb1 remake, but it seems cool. Do the Ambush or Object Special flags do anything special? I don't see anything different. Also, what if you use Character WADs? And I wonder if I could make the level force you to use a certain character, record the replay, and then switch it back. Also, off-topic, but how long does it take before a user can edit the Wiki?
You can use anything you want, including NiGHTS mode. Metal Sonic's replay is nothing but a series of position adjustments, so it doesn't depend on the presence of any character WAD. (As an added bonus, it'll gladly clip through anything in its path if you adjust the level layout later!)

It might be cool to delay the linedef executor and use the race function to make Metal Sonic into an NPC for some function in a level... I've been tossing around the idea for a map I'm starting to work on, too.

Last edited:
Somehow this game me an idea. In Time Trial your fastest times as a particular character are recorded as a ghost depicting Metal Sonic colored alike the character you're playing as (Blue for Sonic, Orange for Tails, Red for Knuckles).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back