SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Archived > SRB2 Forum Archives > Archived Announcements

Old 08-31-2008   #1
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

Default Ban System Revamp and Rules Update

There has been a major change to the way bans will be dealt with on this forum.

First, the ban time for both strike 1 and strike 2 have been extended, to one week and two weeks respectively.

Second, strike 3 is no longer a permanent ban, instead lasting for 52 weeks (approximately a year). Permanent bans issued by strike 3 on the old system have been replaced with these new extended bans, with a start date of today, so anyone permanently banned via strike three on the old system will be able to post again August 31st, 2009. Instantaneous permanent bans are unaffected by this change.

Ban evasion will no longer be dealt with separately from the rest of the ban system. If you evade a ban, you will simply be rebanned with an extra strike on top of what you had. If you already had a strike 3, the extra strike will give you a permanent ban.

Finally, the period of time it takes for a strike to be removed has been extended to two months.

The rules have also been changed somewhat, mostly attempting to clean up the rules and make them FAR easier to read. There aren't any real changes to the rules themselves except the wording, but I'd appreciate you read them over just in case I made a horrid grammatical error that you can all point out and mock me for.

These changes should lead to more people being banned and for a long enough time to actually matter, while leading to less permanent bans except for people who really deserve it.
Old 08-31-2008   #2
Chisuun
Lord Almighty

I see Armonte is one of the first to suffer for this.

EDIT: I don't hate this, I think it's a good change.
Old 08-31-2008   #3
A-star
now Known as Player 1.1

Well this isn't too bad. I don't think you had to go in to detail that it's 52 weeks long. BUT, I don't think anyone is coming back after a year.

EDIT:: Does that mean a year 'till ash comes back? *shot*
Old 08-31-2008   #4
Chisuun
Lord Almighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by astar
Well this isn't too bad. I don't think you had to go in to detail that it's 52 weeks long. BUT, I don't think anyone is coming back after a year.
Well, hopefully, that will keep away the users that managed to get banned for a year. Is that what the 52 week ban is for, Mystic?
Old 08-31-2008   #5
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

Actually, Armonte was banned for something unrelated before the change happened. He decided to post a topic on how to evade bans, like the 11 year olds around here need instruction on that, and was banned on general stupidity. The lack of common sense shown by posting such a topic is just jaw-dropping. He was given a permanent ban yesterday (strike 3), which was revoked and replaced with the one year ban on this system. That is the last we're going to discuss his ban.

This new system will be leading to people being removed from the forums. That is the goal. It's been clear for several years now that the forums are on a downward spiral, and if removing 30-40% of the user base is what it takes to halt that spiral, I'm willing to do that.
Old 08-31-2008   #6
Chisuun
Lord Almighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic
This new system will be leading to people being removed from the forums. That is the goal. It's been clear for several years now that the forums are on a downward spiral, and if removing 30-40% of the user base is what it takes to halt that spiral, I'm willing to do that.
Awesome. Maybe the forums can be saved...
Old 08-31-2008   #7
Camouflage

What happens if a user breaks a rule after strike 3? Do they get another year long ban, or are they perma-banned?
Old 08-31-2008   #8
BlueZero4

This is just awesome, mainly because this is oriented towards the type of person who will forget about the community in a week. I can definitely see the quality of the MB improving.
Old 08-31-2008   #9
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

It would actually reset to strike 1 officially (6 months would erase his first 3 strikes), but if the user comes right off a one year ban and immediately breaks a rule, I suspect that rule 15 would kick in and the admin would just permban him, because he clearly didn't learn his lesson.
Old 08-31-2008   #10
Chisuun
Lord Almighty

Mystic won the internet. We (or at least I) are not worthy to be in his presence.
Old 08-31-2008   #11
:SonicMaster:
<0>_<0>

Uh, why are you treating Mystic like he is some sort of god? He's a human being like the rest of us.
Old 08-31-2008   #12
Chisuun
Lord Almighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRB2WikiSonicMaster
Uh, why are you treating Mystic like he is some sort of god? He's a human being like the rest of us.
Because I can.
Old 09-01-2008   #13
Chaos Knux
Daww, a mother and her foal

On this forum, Mystic is a god. *worships*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derpy Hooves; Today, Tomorrow, and Forever
SUPER NARWHAL, MY MUFFIN!
Old 09-01-2008   #14
Warpshade
Usually lurks somewhere.

It could be worse, I'm sure I saw a post that treated DashFox like a JTE.
Old 09-04-2008   #15
Gemini Spark
The EX version

Quote:
Originally Posted by astar

EDIT:: Does that mean a year 'till ash comes back? *shot*
He didn't get a strike 3 permban; he got a "for the lulz" permban. I think that means that he is permanantly banned... I haven't checked to see what his status is, so I'm not 100% sure.

Besides, I'm no admin; they probably made a decision about that themselves. Ash himself is probably ticked at the ban, so don't hold your breath. If he comes back, fine. If not, that's his decision.
Old 09-04-2008   #16
Sniperific

Ash's profile

Yep he's staying dead....for now.
Old 09-04-2008   #17
zck2020

This is wonderful, and at the same time kinda sucks. I went nuts not being able to post for 3 days, let alone a week. D:

But on the bright side, all the pestering n00bs will most likely be gone. :D

But still, a week? <:\ Oh well, guess it's for the best.
Old 09-05-2008   #18
Nev3r
Global Offensive
Developer

The ban length doesn't really matter as long as you don't get banned.
Old 09-05-2008   #19
I'll Begin
💪🐑

I like the new ban system.
Old 09-05-2008   #20
zck2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev3r
The ban length doesn't really matter as long as you don't get banned.
It's inevitable that everyone gets banned once and a while. Plus, I tend to get myself banned whenever I'm hyperactive and online at the same time. :P

But I do agree that this new banning system is better.