SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Archived > SRB2 Forum Archives > Archived Announcements

Old 03-08-2007   #21
Silver360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman
My first levels weren't bad. Just not that good.
I'm sorry to say this but...The way to the bridge.It's a good start though

2 YEARS WITHOUT THE BANNAGE!!!
Old 03-08-2007   #22
supersonic45
not a loli i swear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousFox
Actually, I would say that you shouldn't release any of your creations until you are ready to accept criticism. I see alot of people that say "don't be so harsh its my first level", but without being a little harsh, you can't really get some good points across. All creations should at least follow the basic rules (Maps should have thok-barriers, SOCs should be more than simple timer-mods, etc.). If you can't at least do these things, then you aren't ready to release your creations to the public. People are going to be harsh in their criticism because it is required to let the wadder know what they are doing wrong. If no one tells the wadder what they are doing wrong, they will never improve. However, the wadder must also be willing to accept some of this criticism, instead of just ignoring it. Ingoring criticism is the same as not receiving any; you can't get better unless you use it.

So, back to the main point, don't release wads until you've got a good understanding of the basics and are ready to accept and use criticism to improve your future wads.

I agree. When I released my first level, I was ready for a bad review. But those tips had told me something. "Do Better!". So now I'm trying to fix all my bugs.
Old 03-19-2007   #23
Shu

I have a question thingy. What if, by some miracle, your first map is actually pretty good.
Old 03-19-2007   #24
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shu
What if, by some miracle, your first map is actually pretty good.
Not possible. Seriously. Now, you could fix it later, after a few weeks of goofing off with the editor and learning how to use it, but everyone's "first map ever" is almost universally bad.
Old 03-19-2007   #25
Super mystic sonic
The Golden Blur

Heh, you're gonna be suprised, in that case.

Anyways, if the rules would be "Don't post your first map", there would never come any new map makers. They can't post their first map, so a second or third will never come either.
Old 03-19-2007   #26
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

I don't mean "Don't post your first map."

I think a better point is "Don't start releasing stuff until you've made more than one map."

Don't make a thing, and then release it, and say "Isn't this awesome?". Make several things, get the hang of it, and refine your work a tad before you start releasing stuff on the forums. Expect criticism of your first map, and work to make your stuff better.

It's not "Your first map is always bad" as much as "You need experience in creating stuff before you start releasing stuff".
Old 03-19-2007   #27
Ritz
cornstar

Default Re: Hay guys, read this! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffle
First wads are always awful.
Not mine. You said so yourself.

It was absolutely necessary that I point that out.
Old 03-20-2007   #28
JJames19119
Why did they remove Grey

My first map wasn't necessarily BAD, it was just very mediocre. So not everyone's map is very, terribly bad.
Old 03-21-2007   #29
BlueZero4

Actually, I think there's two catagories of Maps: Practice and Maps.

Practice is simply learning the thing. Glitches, tiny rooms, and no real effort are expected in this catagory. Normally, these maps are never relesed and stay in the creators hard drive untill rightly disposed of. I would not call these maps.

Maps are just that: Maps. Real levels that actually have an exit (for single player maps), decent item placement, and some sense of actually being playable. These maps would show farmiliarity with the hardware in making the maps, and suffer little to no glitches.

On the other hand, "practice" is all relative. Mystic may consider himself to have a larger period of "practice" compared to what early mappers would consider as "practice." Still, the categories are there nontheless.
Old 03-21-2007   #30
I'll Begin
💪🐑

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZero4
*faints*

The big box on the outside is a working Thok Barrier.
Old 03-21-2007   #31
Super mystic sonic
The Golden Blur

The most made mistakes are the fact that rings aren't deafed or that there's no thok barrier. Sometimes people forget only rings should be deafed, and make the other items deafed too.
Old 03-21-2007   #32
JMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super mystic sonic
The most made mistakes are the fact that rings aren't deafed or that there's no thok barrier. Sometimes people forget only rings should be deafed, and make the other items deafed too.
Or they make other items deafed by accident.
Old 04-13-2007   #33
Dash the Hedgehog

I never actually released my first Level Wad. Because not only was it cramped and linear etc, but it was also really buggy and quite broken.
Old 04-13-2007   #34
Sonow Hakura

I'm currently working on my first Level Wad and I've taken advice i've seen in everyone else's topics, watched the criticism, and I think my Halo 2 Level pack could be pretty good, the only thing I need help with the textures.
Old 05-11-2007   #35
.hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super mystic sonic
I remember...in my first (practice) wad, I couldn't figure out why the jettsyn bombers weren't flying...I had the deaf flag set. Took me forever to figure it out :lol:

Airsoft > paintball!
Old 06-05-2007   #36
Warpshade
Usually lurks somewhere.

I didn't even post one wad until this year. But I made them. Some might be good, but I'm not taking any risks :)
Old 06-07-2007   #37
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shu
What if, by some miracle, your first map is actually pretty good.
Generic Hill Zone. Screenshot for the lazy.

First wad, only a few minor edits. Water isn't blue, just has a lower brightness. Other than that, I honestly can't see anything particularly wrong with it.

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff
Old 06-20-2007   #38
hack_the_hedgehog

I released my first level wad, I short of like it because its very hard, but thats the reason why dudes hate it, also it's cramped :roll:
Old 07-09-2007   #39
Eblo

My first level was released but sucks. :oops:
Old 08-31-2007   #40
Gaaradude6969

Emerald Coast was my first map.
I totally agree with Shuffle.
Chisuun: No, I gotta go take something something out of the oven.
[leaves and comes back]
OMG WHAT YOU DO???
Now Im called, sigh, Gaaradude6969...