Contests

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoJames

Ok then...most of us know there is a level contest...but SRB2 isn't just level making...Why isn't there a character contest? Or a SOC contest?

There isn't really much for me to say...but I think you get the idea

To be truthful, I'd imagine that neither contest idea would work very well in practice.

We don't have contests for either of those because the community has proven to be utterly inept at creating anything but levels time and time again. Honestly, something like that would only encourage character and SOC creation, while we've been trying our best to subdue them (Characters, anyway, but SOCs need the same treatment).

I can easily see a character contest becoming an S_SKIN creation contest, and if we're really lucky, a full blown recolor contest. Bad idea. A SOC contest would require, you know, actual knowledge of SOCs, something not everyone has. Not to mention that...Well, how the hell would you rate SOCs anyways?

Maybe as the most creative SOC you can think of, although Draykon or Flame the Hedgehog would win every time. And if there's ever such a contest, it would encourage people to learn SOCing.

But then how do you rate levels too? We would rate SOCs on these categories:

Creativity-How much does the SOC change?
Usability-Are there glitches? Does multiplayer screw it up?
Replayablity-Is the script some little gimmick, or is it a significant enough change to keep people using it now and then for a long time?

Chaos Zero 64 said:
Maybe as the most creative SOC you can think of, although Draykon or Flame the Hedgehog would win every time. And if there's ever such a contest, it would encourage people to learn SOCing.

Draykon would probably win every time seeing as his SOC edit program works.

As I explained several times before, my SOC editor doesn't work. It always comes up with an Automation error and saying a specified module couldn't be found.

Then again...levels arn't the easiest thing ever

and SOCs arn't that confusing really...

And there arn't as many recolors as they'r used to be (Although characters do take some time)

A Character contest would be a horrid idea, sprites take too long to make.

SOCs MAYBE, but after awhile, it becomes extremely difficult to devise clever SOCs. I'd rather just keep them as the occasional thing to pop in and spice up a level design entry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back