SRB2 downloadable soundtrack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake

I remember the soundtrack was posted somewhere on this board in OGG format, but when I finally found the link the page was apparently broken. Any chances of putting up the soundtrack again?

FuriousFox said:
You could always just get the music out of music.dta.

Yeah, but there are some stupid people out there like me who don't know how to go about doing that.

I actually still have the oggs from that site, but no way of uploading them right now.

The downloadable oggs were higher quality as I remember.

I can see about reuploading them. However, the 1.08 soundtrack's new adds (Green Hill, Red Volcano, Verdant Forest, Aerial Garden) I don't have in the higher quality format.

As for extracting the songs. If you are okay with using a command line program, get LumpMod from http://www.thunderpalace.com/software/lumpmod.html and read the included HTML file to figure out how to use it. The syntax should be something very simple, something like "lumpmod music.dta extract O_MAP01M GFZ1.ogg" for GFZ1's music.

If, like many people, you are command line shy, DeePsea will work. You can get it from www.sbsoftware.com. I believe what you have to do is press F7 and look for something in there that says "examine," "extract," or "export." The downside here is I can't explain exactly what to do with it since I don't remember. While less efficient in this situation, command lines are faster for adding or modifying a single lump, so I usually use them.

You can figure out what music lumps of the form O_MAPxxM correspond to by looking here:

http://www.lawrencegearheadz.org/~a441/text/newmapheaders.html#musicslot

I made that document for a different purpose, obviously, so just pay attention to the list up to 108. Also note that 100-108 on the list correspond to O_MAPA0M through O_MAPA8M.

The O_ lumps are all encoded with Ogg Vorbis, while the D_ lumps are alternate versions as MIDI files.

This means that someone can make an uber high quality music.dta and torrent it out to people? Cool! :lol:

Yeah, 112kbps I think, instead of 64kbps.

There's also a REALLY OLD SRB2 Soundtrack that has a lot of tunes on it that got cut. I'll be adding this to the history section probably... tonight! I'll reply to this thread with a link when it's up.

Hey, I THINK I remember that... was that the one that was up on the STJr. site, before it was shut down in favor of srb2.org?

No.

Hmm, actually the soundtrack isn't as old as I thought. But it's on the history page now, anyway.

a441, whenever I try running LumpMod in my SRB2 folder I get an error message saying, "Not enough arguments," and it closes itself immediately.

Did you give it any commands, and arguments thereof?

I'd THINK that it should be something like "lumpmod music.dta extract O_MAP01M" or something like that.

It is a command line program. The way command line programs work is, you tell them what to do on the command line, and they either:

a) Do it

or

b) Whine that you didn't properly tell them what to do

then immediately quit. You need to specify more information if you want a) to happen instead of b).

Oh. So I have to use the program within the game? All right, I got it figured out. Thanks.

Nevermind, I meant MS DOS program.

SSNTails said:
Hmm, actually the soundtrack isn't as old as I thought. But it's on the history page now, anyway.

Ugh. Thanks, AJ, for putting those up so I can relive my worst memories of music making. =/

Actually, not a lot has changed between the old OST and the new one now that I listen. Mine Maze is the only one that really went through any kind of severe expansion; everything else is pretty much identical, except it either loops longer or just got redubbed with better instrumentation.

Well, there's the new Invincibility tune.

Off-hand, there was this Game Over tune floating around somewhere that doesn't sound like the newest one... whatever or wherever it was, I happen to prefer it to the game's official one... tossing in the Sonic 1/2 part where the melody... well, for lack of a better term, "dwindles down in pitch", irritates me. It just feels odd. Unusual. Kooky. Out-of-place. Bad. Awkward. Irritating. [insert similar adjective here].

Besides, I liked Sonic CD better than Sonic 2; I'm not sure why everyone thinks 2 was the best in the series, though it's only their opinion. :P

Close second, IMO. SA1 wasn't bad, either, if you can get over the clipping glitches (I honestly have less trouble with the camera than I do that, and even that I have very little trouble with unless I'm going OUT OF MY WAY to break the rules).

As far as I'm concerned it is. The Genny/MD games aren't a series all of their own, just the pinnacle of a fairly lengthy series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back