How would you rate the official levels? - Part TWO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meadow Match - 10/10 1/10
omigosh dis stage is a klassick and it is soooooo much fun i mean it looks great the items are not to easy to get and not to close to each other the stage totally isnt a sonicthokfest the stage totally isnt to simple and to flat and it is just overly awesum and stuff and it totally doesnt break down when you have more then six players dis stage is just perfect in every way thank you stjr for porting dis i luv u so much for doing dat!1!!!1one!11!!!eleven!11!

Perhaps people would have shut up about the map breaking down after 6 players if we left the original "1 vs. 1" subtitle on it?

Then again, somehow I think that's unlikely.

Regardless, complaining because small maps break down with large player counts is as ridiculous as complaining that large maps break down with small player counts. Knocking a map down for THAT? Seriously?

Here is my review of the official SRB2 game:

GFZ:

·act 1: short, boring, uninteresting in most part. I enjoy the level only when i found the secrets. Needs improvements and an extension for the newer versions since the other zones (ACZ, RVZ, ERZ) make this level a bad piece for this Sonic game. Sorry but... 4/10

·act 2: a little long than act 1, it has more variation, and the gameplay seems more athletic. However is not a great map, i'm get tired to see only crawlas and plattforms in this map... 6/10

·act 3: Meh... a generic boss, at least better than GFZ boss of v1.09.4. 6/10

Total: 5.33/10

THZ

·act 1: i hate the textures here, also this level is poorly decorated. I was running for a long hallway that has any decoration. Sorry but the unique part that i like of this level was the factory entrace. 4/10

·act 2: at least a good stage although is too short for me. it has more texture variation and the ambience is better than act 1. 7.5/10

·act 3: good boss. Not much to say. 8/10

Total: 6.5/10

DSZ

·Act 1: a great stage. Good gimnicks, good ambience, it could be more decorated, some areas feel empty. 9/10

·Act 2: New gimnicks, similar visuals than act 1. The labirinth if you take the first part is really boring, the walls of the breakable collumns should be transparent, so the player could see where he have to go. Also some areas and hallways feel empty. I like the waterslides gimmnicks. 8/10

·Act 3: Original boss, a little easy. 8.5/10

Total: 8.5/10

CEZ:

·Act 1: seems empty and boring in the first part. After it became gradually good. I like the addition of new stuff like the ball and chain. Need improvements. 7.5/10

·Act 2: Although is too short for me this stage has great gimnicks. I like the ambience, textures, etc. This could be a 10/10 but it's a short act, so 9/10.

ACZ act 1: Excellent stage. i like all of it (ambience, enemies, music, etc). The unique complaint is that is much easier for tails and knuckles than for sonic. It could became better and polish, but this is an epic win stage 10/10.

RVZ act 1: Great stage. I like the ambience, but i think it could have more stuff. I like the gimnicks although those seems old. 9.5/10.

ERZ:

·Act 1: Good but too short for be the last zone. It needs an extension. The stuff used here is excellent. However the two path splits are unbalanced. 9/10

·Act 2: epic, long (but not the longest level ever made, i could beat it in 6:50 minutes), excellent gimnicks. Also it's a very hard level, more than act 1. 10/10

·Act 3: good boss but it turn repetitive for me when i battle it the first times. Now i found a way to beat him quickly, and it became easy. 9/10

Total: 9.33/10

Conclusion: Excellent game, but the first zones need improvements. GFZ and THZ are staying in the past. ACZ and ERZ are the best levels in the game for now.

Okay, here is that uber-huge review I promised earlier. Since I love putting tons of effort into what I do, it's a few thousand words long in total, and that's just for the single player stages. I spend about two months on this on and off, but the bulk was done on three days.

I tried to address everything that warrants mention, and this is really meant more as serious feedback and suggestion material for the dev team that the usual "I like this, I don't like that" chit-chat. The ratings are not very important, and I tried to ignore personal preference as much as possible and focus on what objectively makes sense from a developer's standpoint. Of course, there's hardly anybody who will actually read this massive wall of text (probably not even the devs), but I figured I should write it anyway.

I do plan on reviewing every stage, not just the single player ones, but I just needed to get this out of my way now. Reviewing the multiplayer roster will luckily be much easier, since most of my complaints actually come from gameplay preferences. For example, just because I don't like Cloud Palace, that doesn't means it's a bad stage at all. But I should really stop talking now and get this out of the way. Have fun laughing at me for being serious about this ridiculously ambitious review nobody cares about ;) Spoiler tags for each zone because you do not want to see all of this on one page at the same time. The post would probably be as long as the rest of the page.

Greenflower Zone Act 1 - 4/10
I know that it does what it should, and I won't complain that it's so short or easy, because it really should be that way. The lack of gimmicks is also excusable, since for a new player, this level will offer more than enough to do. There's also a decent amount of exploration if you look around a bit, so everything should be fine, right? No. This level is just so damn ugly and bland (in terms of visuals) that it hurts the whole experience. This is the grass level of a Sonic game, it has to look good to encourage the player to continue the game. Where are the trees, for example? Also, one checkered texture all over the place? Bad thing. This really needs a visual overhaul, because the first zone needs to look real pretty, and it sure as hell doesn't in this case. Of course, I'm all for simplistic design in a first level, and large amounts of sector-based detail might distract new players. Actually, the scenery and the layout is not the problem, it's mostly the textures. Texture variation is always a good way to do make a level much more interesting without making it confusing or cluttered.

There is another problem, and that's the weird use of path splits. Take the bridge area, for example: The whole right half of that pool contains nothing. There are a few small ledges, but there's nothing to be found, not even an alternate way onto the bridge. If you leave the player with choices, make sure those choices are actually worth something. The same goes for the path split at the end. Who would ever go left there when going right is so much easier and quicker? I'm also not a huge fan of the slightly maze-like layout of the section directly after the bridge. I'm positively sure that quite a lot of players take the wrong path there and get lost. That wouldn't be a huge problem if those other paths would get you closer to the exit, but instead they move you away from the exit, to dead ends and secret areas. A little more clarity would be appreciated here.

Greenflower Zone Act 2 - 6/10
For some reason, several devs seem to be extremely proud of this level. Well, I give you that the layout is very effective. The main path is simple enough to blast through quickly but still offers some slight challenges. Additionally, there are many optional areas scattered around the whole stage, and there is really a lot to do if only you look. But the visual aspect is much, much worse here than in Act 1. Everything is still covered in one wall texture, but in this case, we're talking about tall, wide rooms. Sections like the opening or the large room at the end look absolutely disgusting, and the lack of real sector-based scenery makes the level looks rather empty and flat in places (again, just look at the opening). Too much of this level looks like it's just there, are there is not much that draws the player's attention. You tried with these pseudo-stalagmites and that fenced area with Crawlas, but quite frankly, neither of them really look all that good.

On second thought, I did realize that the gameplay here is very much thought-out. Essentially, this serves as an introduction to spring bouncing for the most part, and it does this very well (and it only four steps, too). The first row of springs teaches you to hold forward while bouncing, the second one teaches you to the force of red springs, the third one teaches you to hold still on longer spring chains, and the fourth shows you that you can take different routes with the same sets of springs. I'm also very fond of the big room at the end, which both offers the first clear path split and introduces the player to more complex platforming (in both paths). Although I still find the visuals to be awful, it seems like I was a bit harsh on this stage at first. The layout is in fact very strong and the massive amount of exploration is really great. Though the score is not really important for me, I raised it to 6/10, which I feel is appropriate. This is a good level, but it needs work on the visuals.

Greenflower Zone Act 3 - 7/10
There is little to say about this level. It works like it should, the arena looks good, difficulty and length are appropriate. It might not be the most exciting boss ever, but it's perfect for a first one.
Techno Hill Zone Act 1 - 3/10
This level is so damn redundant, it's almost funny. It feels like a GFZ4, just with an even uglier wall texture that stretches everywhere and some slime instead of water. Rooms like the one just after the island hopping sequence are completely empty and just contain nothing at all. The first section is completely useless, being cramped, linear, empty and flat. The bridge is the only thing that makes any sense there, and the weird pseudo-maze below it is just a head-scratcher. The left path in the second area is also a bad joke (hey, let's run around for three seconds, stop and wait for a platform, and then continue running again, all the while not doing anything else). What redeems this is the solid factory part (which actually looks good, I want to see more of this kind of detail in Act 2), the also solid island hopping sequence (which should be expanded a bit upon in terms of length, not difficulty), and the underground path. Still, horrible visuals and flat stretches of nothing drag this stage down a lot. Noxious Factory looks so engaging, why is this so bland?

Techno Hill Zone Act 2 - 6/10
I could handle a bit more visual detail. There is some really cool stuff here and there, but there are also some rooms that received little attention, especially the last one. That room feels like it was simply built to contain the elements it has, without much care about how the end result appears to the player. For example, those ledges up in the air feel very awkward and I always get a feeling of "Who would build such a factory?" because of that. Also, that button control room must be a joke. I'm all for the sealed-off-by-a-glass-wall idea, but the room itself is empty except for that red circle. That button seriously looks like a proof-of-concept thing that was put in to test if the linedef executor system works. In the actual level, it sticks out like a sore thumb. Another visual complaint is that the level is too gray, since one wall texture is used for almost everything. Of course, the theme of the level is supposed to be sterile and functional, but small things like that THZWAL08 section make a whole lot of a difference in varying things up.

Regarding gameplay, the first section is very solidly designed, featuring a well-rounded choice between speed and danger or a slower but easier path. The turret room is flawless, featuring enough cover for players to get through without getting hurt, but still offering a challenge. The crusher path is also flawless and is luckily not too hard. The second split doesn't work at all though. Going forward is both easier and much quicker, and the Deton path, while featuring a cool gimmick, is simply too slow because the elevator takes ages. Also, the switch on the other path always reminds me of Castle Eggman: Going through the same section twice is always boring, especially when the switch doesn't change anything in said room. One thing that's positive about this zone is the creative usage of secrets, which require some thinking to acquire.

Techno Hill Zone Act 3 - 8/10

The boss is very cool, even if it's not really moving, but that's understandable of course. Plays out very well, the arena looks nice, so no complaints.

Deep Sea Zone Act 1 - 9/10
I love Deep Sea Zone to death, bear with me. The gameplay is perfect in most sections, being extremely varied and creative, and always keeps me on my toes. For instance, the upper path in the first room makes an otherwise simple platforming sequence much more complex and interesting simply through rising water and its physics changes. As another example, the room where Knuckles' path reunites is something I admire. The player has the choice between staying underwater and making his way up via some stationary platforms, or to hop across the ones that rise and fall with the water. Not only that, but the player is able to switch between those two approaches at any given time.

Rooms like these are just ingenious if you look at them from a designer's perspective, even if (especially experienced) players might accidentally overlook such things. The enemies are very cleverly placed, making them an actual hazard as opposed to space filler. The Skim section, for example is very effectively made (again, those who knew Skims from 1.09.4 had the surprise ruined), and the mines sections are also extremely well-built. From a gameplay perspective, DSZ1 might just well be the most refined stage in SRB2. There's also tons of cleverly hidden secrets, a lot of scenic detail (that looks absolutely gorgeous) and of course, several unique paths branching in and out, giving this a lot of replay value.

Now to the (few) complaints: The room where Knuckles' path comes back is covered in one texture, pretty much. No only does it get dull considering that the section after this up until the corridor with the crushing platforms has the same textures, it also makes it a bit hard to see where to go since everything blends together. It's fine for the more hallway-like rooms after this, since those are straightforward and it's clear where to go, but here it feels monotonous and distracting. Also, the big semicircular room might just be too big for its own good. While I do like the idea behind it and the grand scope does pay off (that huge building looks very imposing), the half to the left and the water below feel kinda dull and empty as a result. I don't really know how that is supposed to be fixed, and it's actually not much of a problem, but it irks me a bit every time I go there. Another slight problem are the up-and-down moving platforms in the room where Knuckles' path splits off. They tend to kill momentum because you have to wait around for too long, which can be extremely tedious if you're being threatened to drown at the very same time. But these are very minor qualms, and as it stands, this zone is both a blast to play, to explore and to look at.

Deep Sea Zone Act 2 - 8/10
The visuals are more of the same as in Act 1, which is a very good thing in general, but I always have the feeling that the temple parts outshine the cave parts. It's not like the caves look bad, but I tend to feel a certain disappointment with them. For example, the first cave, while certainly looking very good, has nothing to really draw me to it. The bottom of the water has a lot of scenery and detail, but there is nothing to find in it, and it lacks one of these eye-catchers that are so prominently used in many other rooms. At its best moments, this stage is solid gold, probably even more so that Act 1. This includes the way the left path can be accessed at the beginning (you have to explore the room to take notice of it, and even then you have to think a bit about how to get up there, but if you fall into the water, it's much easier to take than the other path), the epic outdoor waterslide, the Acid-Missile-ripoff crusher room, the epic gargoyle-crusher secret for Sonic's emblem, and the action-oriented parts of the underwater slide (I'm talking about the spike dodging, both horizontal and vertical). The problem, however, lies in the content that is not refined and thus falls flat on its face.

One big problem are the waterslide mazes. Let's first look at the underwater one. It's just not a very cool idea to force the player to trial-and-error, especially when the punishment contains long, boring zoom tubes. Why are there zoom tubes in flooded ruins anyway? Especially horrid is the one that sends you back in the room after the slide, in case you should fall in. Not only does that lead to the very inelegant situation of having the platforms already up when the player returns, it also forces the player through that tedious maze yet again. To make it even worse, the great sideways spikes are often bypassed, because most people memorize the right-right exit which doesn't contain them. If you took the left path, you also don't get to see them.

The other waterslide maze at the end is also not quite up to par. Sure, some ideas are fine, such as making the player leave the waterslide to progress and looping them back if they bypass the exit. But in general, I feel like there is too little action and too much guesswork involved. The room with the continuously falling platform of course also needs refinement. The platforms are somehow assembled in a very player-unfriendly way, making this section feel luck-based. Everybody I know just ends up cutting it short with the waterfall spindash trick. The rest of that room is also ridiculously empty. A room with such a two-dimensional gimmick should not be as wide-open as this one, since most of the space winds up unused, and the room is bland as a result.

Deep Sea Zone Act 3 - 6/10
It takes too long, and it's a bit hard to see where Eggman will head next. Also, the water is just too deep for no good reason at all. The pinch phase is sorta non-spectacular, and I'd like to see more attention drawn to the physics changes experienced by the sudden flooding of the room. But the boss is definitely solid as it stands.

Castle Eggman Zone Act 1 - 3/10
Castle Eggman has a reputation as a very hard theme to come up with good designs for. While of course this is much better than the Final Demo attempt (which would have made for a rather mediocre custom map, but as an official was way too unoriginal), this is still very weak. Unlike other sub-par stages, this one will not be easy to fix, because it actually has too few interesting gameplay ideas. Removing bad ideas is one thing, but coming up with more will be hard. Now, let's come up with examples of bad ideas, shall we? The tree trunks with spiraling staircases are just awful. Whoever thought of this needs to be shot *runs from Mystic* In all honesty, it's just not a cool idea at all, it's just boring. Similarly, the enemy trap after that is not that great either. It cannot be avoided unless you already know it's there, in which case I guarantee you everyone will skip it. Combatting Sharps is a pain in the ass, and that lone Crawla must be a troll.

I'm sure there was a great idea behind the lake room where both paths merge, I really do. I think I can even sort of imagine how it was supposed to be. What should be obvious, however, is that the end result does not compare to that idea. In theory, it's all there: the moss, the trees, the lake with a fence around it... Yet, the room itself is bland. The cause of that problem is characteristic for what makes this whole level feel dull: It doesn't have its own texture set. Its main texture is the gray Mine Maze wall, even though that doesn't fit the forest theme as well. JEV3 has made some pretty god-like forest textures, and I think this whole level needs reworking to be purged to the rocks and re-designed as an actual forest. Not only will a distinct texture set make the level look more engaging, it will also make it more original.

Coming back from the lake room, I find the gameplay to be horrid there. The concept is actually fairly interesting, as the bridge would theoretically lead to an exit if that wasn't fenced off. The player gets a feeling of "how do I solve that problem now?" and starts exploring. But the end result is just underwhelming: a no-action waterslide and a no-action zoom tube, then you're there. Once you have found the way to solve the problem, it's all auto-pilot. Now if there was some underwater tunnel leading up there, maybe with some additional action inside it (or at least some platforming), that room would suddenly become a centerpiece of the stage, and help a lot in making it a much better level.

I won't go over the other path at the beginning, because I think it's main flaw lies in the lack of forest-ness, which I already addressed. The room after the zoom tube actually looks fairly good, except for the out-of-place MM rocks. The introduction of the rotating chains after that is not particularly well-made. When introducing a gimmick, you should make sure that the player has to use it, and you make sure that failure doesn't result in death. In this case, both aren't true. There is a death pit spanning most of the room and you can just bypass the chain entirely by thokking. The sudden castle elements that now pop up in the next room utterly destroy the buildup of the level, just as that lone mace does. It really feels at this point like no thought went into the concept of this level, and that it is just a culmination of random ideas with no logical progression. That is a really big problem, and it just destroys the level.

The rotating chains inside the tree trunks are probably the only really good idea in this level, but I still feel like the chain gimmick is not used to its fullest. The waterslide section is totally inappropriate and makes this level feel even less original than it already is. Waterslides belong to DSZ, and I don't wanna see them return here. The idea of using a chain to propel you over a dam is a good one though, it just needs a better implementation. The castle at the end is indeed very nice-looking, but the rest of the room was just totally neglected for it.

All in all, this level feels redundant. It has no original ideas, a boring visual theme, and not even a logical transition. I really don't know if this level can be fixed without remaking large chunks of it. It also doesn't help that there is a lack of alternate paths, which means that you need to come up with even more ideas for this level. A forest is not a thankful surrounding for interesting design.

Castle Eggman Zone Act 2 - 4/10
Yes, I actually gave this a better score than the first act. While the design here is actually much more haphazard and less refined than in Act 1, this one at least has interesting ideas going for it. That means that in the end, transforming this stage into something good is much easier than with the first Act 1. It does, however, need a lot of work. The visuals are actually quite decent in a few spots, but totally lacking in others. The very first room is not bad, and offers some nice ideas, but it's too empty as a whole. Additionally, those spiraling staircases look unrealistic, and the "towers" they lead up to are not really towers. The overhead bridge that can only be reached from said towers would be a great location for an alternate path, considering that there is a lack of a second path at the beginning anyway. The castle walls need some more decoration too, brick textures exhibit Moire patterns very quickly.

The door that opens when you collected all emeralds is not exactly a great idea. I don't feel like getting to skip an integral part of the level is a reward. Another thing that needs to be addressed is the Tails/Knuckles 1-up room. It is just weirdly designed, with random stuff crammed everywhere, and it really looks confusing and not structured. This, of course, applies both to the room itself and the entrance from below. Also, I don't really think the room itself is a great idea. Tails and Knuckles have a much easier time than Sonic already, and giving them twelve exclusive extra lives makes things worse.

But now let's get back to the level proper. The idea behind the first dungeon room is great, and I really like that bridge with the swinging spikeballs. But I don't get what all the random stuff on the lower levels is doing there. Why are there spinning maces in an area where I'm not even supposed to go and which doesn't offer any real award? It just feels like those were put there to make the room feel less empty, and that's not a good thing. The special stage token location is also not all that great, it's just a pit with some random spikes, to be blunt. The rotating spikeballs are a cool hazard, but what are flamethrowers doing in a castle level? They are a good gimmick, but they just don't fit here. Save those for RVZ instead.

The exit to the next room feels like an easy way out. A spring tucked away in a corner, and another spring on a ledge, then you're there. That doesn't flow all too well and doesn't feel organic. It's actually rather hackish, sort of like nobody could think of a real way to get the player up that ledge. The idea of the following room is not bad, but the execution is horrid. This is a prime example of a room which was built to contain a gimmick and then was neglected. The room is basically a square with some hanging platforms in it, and there are spikes below each wooden platform. This gimmick needs to be integrated into the level, but here it feels like the level was built around the gimmick.

So, now we're in the second courtyard, and it's quite obvious that this room is not complete. In case it actually is complete, whoever decided that THIS is enough should hide in shame. The whole room is empty, and the Moire pattern stretches everywhere. Either make this room much smaller, or add much more content and decoration. I do like the spinning chain leading to the alternate path, but the other path feels much more obvious and easier to access in comparison. On both paths at this point, we get some very good ideas that are drowned out and overshadowed by very sloppy execution. Much of it probably comes from the unfinished-ness, and I think there was just to little time spent on this map.

The trap dungeon from the old CEZ2 is a good idea, but the random buttons on the floor don't feel like a very clever activation method. I'd rather see some more complicated mechanic being used to release these Jetty-syns, although it should be something that fits the castle theme. The following room, while containing some nice ideas with the swinging mace and the cogwheels, is another example of the functional but uninteresting design found everywhere in this level. Essentially, it's a gratewalk over a pit, and that does not make for a very interesting setting. The last room is horrid in terms of execution, even if the individual gameplay elements are awesome. The problem is, yet again, how they were incorporated. The whole room is an empty square, and most of it never gets used, while small parts around the edge are where all the action is. This section should probably be split into several rooms which actually feel like they contain something, even if the gameplay elements and the rising water concept can and should be retained. This would of course also remove the lag.

The beginning of the other path, with the somewhat empty bridge and the windows out to the cannonball room that are too small and tucked away to be noticed might need some additional attention to make it less of a hallway. Just a bit more decoration and exposing these windows properly would help already. The turret room has a cool concept, and I like the idea of destroying pillars to bring something on the ceiling down, but what is a mechanical laser turret doing in a castle? The corridor after that with the spinning chains is great, and one of the few sections that I have nothing to complain about. The red carpet and the flames to the sides are appropriate as decoration, and make the level actually feel like a castle. Then, the cannonball room. It's the very definition of bland, and it simply looks horrid. Also, these staircases don't fit there at all and the button platform just look totally weird as a result. I also feel like the player should be forced to stop more, since the cannonballs rarely have time to catch up. The rising floors after that feel more like some weird experiment than an actual section of the level. It doesn't feel very thought-out and complete (well, it isn't), and the corridor-heavy design throws me off.

Arid Canyon Zone Act 1 - 9/10
Arid Canyon Zone is, together with Deep Sea Zone and Egg Rock Zone, the highlight of the single player campaign. The gameplay is, again, very refined, and I have few complaints in that regard. What I don't quite like is that the rope pulleys at the beginning can be skipped because the starting area is so high up there. Sure, the player is forced to use them later on in a non-dangerous setting anyway, so it's not a huge problem, but this whole beginning section just feels wasted if it's skipped all the time. The path split at the beginning is really well-done, with the cave offering less immediate danger but taking slightly longer. Both paths are really enjoyable, and I still admire those boxes that are used as stepping stones.

The other path split, however, always feels slightly less balanced, because one of them is quicker and easier. That's quite a shame, since the longer path offers some really awesome ideas like the falling rock section (which is actually dodgable and fair), the slippery oil and the PolyObjects at the end (which, in contrast to the other one, make the player do something). Then again, that path seems to actually be the quicker alternative for Sonic, so it might just be more balanced than one might think. One small complaint for this path is the rope pulley in the falling rocks room. It feels superfluous, adding nothing in terms of gameplay. You simply hang on it and wait.

Now to the other path, which contains the famous/infamous PolyObject lift. I do have to say that it's very pointless, and its novelty quickly wears off. You could somehow force the player to jump off while it's still moving, and draw attention to the sudden loss of momentum, but then again, that might be too cheap over a death pit. Another not-so-great section is the tunnel where the rocks crumble up, either killing you over leaving you in a maze. The idea might have been good in theory, but in the actual level, it's not all that cool. When the rocks are finally up, it just becomes a search for the exit in a cramped maze. The ending doesn't need much comment. While it is kind of a big difficulty spike, it's a very effective and dramatic ending to the level, and I do think it would be lacking something without a room that uses the rope pulley gimmick to its fullest. The BASHs/Vultures should be removed however, they can suddenly attack the player while hanging on a rope, which is kinda cheap.

Aside from the three qualms listed above, I'm a huge fan of the gameplay elements here, especially the well-balanced mix of larger gimmicks with more traditional platforming. The level architecture is also top-notch, probably the best in the official levels. This stage really does look like a huge, sprawling canyon, and not only is there a lot to see, there is also a lot to explore. The way the paths subtly intertwine every now and then makes this great for time attack and encourages exploration even more. Side-quests like the Whirlwind Shield at the beginning (with the falling rocks) or the oil draining machine add even more replay value. But there is one issue that pops up every now and then, and that's the texturing. For the most parts, it's great and varied, and the slight machinery elements in the caves add a refreshing note. But there are some sections that feel too monotonous, mostly in rooms where ACZWAL1 dominates too much. I always was a huge fan of the texturing job in Dusty Barracks from Project: Hyper Duels, because it managed to vary the canyon theming very effectively. It's not much of a problem, since most of the level does look great, but I feel it could be improved in that regard.

Red Volcano Zone Act 1 - 6/10
I guess we can all agree that this level is solid, yet a bit lacking in comparison to more recently built maps. The upgraded texturing helps its fair share in making this map feel fresh, but I wonder why the actual RVZ texture set isn't used at all. There are a few spots that feel a bit dull because of repetitive texturing, and expanding the set would definitely help. As a basic indicative, the visual tend to get dull when there is too much of the red rock texture, which notably happens in the room where the paths merge, the room with the rising and falling lava in the lower path, and the room with the dense orange colormap and the sinking platforms. I do have to say that I very much adore the wall and ceiling scenery, which was assembled with a lot of care. Since there aren't very many scenery objects to be expected in a volcano, these help keeping the map interesting. You might want to incorporate some of the elements seen in Infernal Cavern though, such as the brown rocks and some of the textures, just for adding more variation.

Speaking of Infernal Cavern, why are there no flamethrowers in this level? To be fair, I already know the answer to this one: There probably wasn't much time spent on this level for 2.0, since it already existed beforehand. Yet, it shows now that it needs some additional work to be brought up to par with the better parts of the campaign. It obviously needs expansion, since it's too short and linear at current, and it needs creative new gimmicks, something that flamethrowers would certainly help in (although they aren't enough on their own). While I have nothing against the lava-dodging found in most of this level, there needs to be more to it than that and crumbling platforms. There are already some segments which are a tad overlong and need trimming, such as the crumbling rock section on the upper path and the rising and falling lava room in the lower path.

The buildup in itself is actually very strong, and the gimmicks become increasingly complex and challenging up until the grandiose wave room. But of course, the level is too short to just stop there, and there's only one alternate path at the moment. I am rather unsure if the current ending should stay as the ending, with additional segments tacked on before it, or if the level should continue at that spot, probably expanding on the slight mechanical themes found there. While the latter would certainly make it easier to find new gameplay ideas, you would also risk an overuse of factory theming, which is already present in THZ, ERZ and even ACZ to a small extent.

Another small thing to be considered is the slight crampedness in places, especially in the first segment of the lower path, and the narrow corridors leading up to where the paths reunite. I'm also not particularly fond of the low ceiling in the lava river room. Oh, and that overpowered shortcut needs to be removed or massively toned down in its usefulness. Nobody ever takes the lower path or even the regular upper path, because that shortcut is just so much quicker and easier. It should probably lead to a point much earlier in the stage, so that it doesn't actually cut down the time.

Blue Mountain Zone Act 2 - umm/10
Nice start, I guess... I'm looking forward to this, but I can already see too many Mine Maze textures in here. I think their overuse in the current version has to do largely with the fact that most single player stages were assembled when many of the new textures weren't yet available, but I want to see them used more in later versions. I already commented on that in my reviews for CEZ and RVZ, where they are much more present than they need or should be.

Egg Rock Zone Act 1 - 9/10
Luckily, Egg Rock Zone is extremely well-built, so I can keep these reviews fairly short in comparison. There are, however, a few (mostly minor) things to comment on. The most obvious one here is the huge imbalance of the path splits. The right path is massive compared to the left one, and it's not even easier. I really think there needs to be some rebalancing in this regard, and if possible, some rooms simply could be shifted from one path to the other. Of course, that might lead to problems with the level geometry, but it's worth a try.

Another qualm is how the reverse gravity is introduced in the right path. In the left path, you are flipped around just after the laser room, and then immediately flipped back, in a setting that provides no challenge. Then, in the next room, the player is supposed to deal with this newfound gimmick. On the right path however, reverse gravity is introduced right in the middle of an already difficult platforming hopping part in low gravity. Not only that, but the effect wears off immediately upon leaving the switch sector, and you have to cut a sharp corner at the same time. This can lead to huge frustration and a lot of deaths until the player is properly accustomed to the concept of reverse gravity, and it's just not a good introduction.

Another nitpick would be that room with reverse gravity where you press a button that releases space countdown fog and run down a staircase. It's really boring and tedious to run down that staircase, and since there's no real action, it's just not an interesting room at all. I guess it could be just thrown out, which would help path balance a bit too. The appearing/disappearing FOFs at the next section have the problem that they are all set to appear upon spawn, which trivialize the whole section upon respawning at a star post. The 2D section is pulled off rather haphazardly, and doesn't really allow me to see the hazards before approaching them.

On the left path, I have two issues, one of which is really minor: Just before the character-specific split, you use a gas jet to fly over a wall with lava on top. That lava floor on top of it looks really stupid and amateurish, especially considering that the side textures are regular brown rock. The other thing is that Tails' path is too easy in comparison to the other two, and that the character emblems are kinda unnecessary.

Egg Rock Zone Act 2 - 10/10
Quite honestly, I have nothing to complain about here. This level is indeed perfect, except maybe that the disco room needs its own boss. I won't waste my time talking about what I like in this level and why I like it, because, quite honestly, everybody knows why this stage is awesome, and nobody needs me to repeat that.

Egg Rock Zone Act 3 - 8/10
The visuals have gotten an overhaul for 2.0.5, which makes the map look a lot better. It's actually sort of a shame that this arena is only a placeholder, and I hope something similar can be seen in the ERZ boss stage. The boss fight itself is really awesome, but the missile attack is just way too hard to pull of. Hitting Brak Eggman midair almost never works, mostly because the camera just can't keep up and the missiles go upwards too slowly. And hitting him while he's on the platforming and shooting goop is something I didn't pull off once.

Last edited:
This is my GFZ1 to THZ3 ratings:

GFZ1: Almost Perfect. The years have made it great. 9/10
GFZ2: Almost Perfect also. 9/10
GFZ3: Very nice, very nice programming on Eggman's retreat stjr! 10/10
THZ1: Nice, a few more decorations would be nice. And maybe some surprises? 10/10
THZ2: This zone could use some "outdoor decorations?" 7/10
THZ3: Eggman is so easy on the last two hits. Could you guys make him harder on those? 8/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back