A little help with connecting two computers together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naga

True liar.
I've been trying to to connect my laptop and computer together on a "Network" [Read: Just the two of them] to be able to share files between the two and play multiplayer games, but I haven't had much success. Both have the ethernet port; and I have the cable. I've tried using the network setup wizard, and as both connect directely to the internet through an ADSL connection, I've used the "This computer connects directely to the internet. The other computers on my network connect to the internet through this computer.", unfortunately, it won't work.

Both computers are using WIndows XP Service Pack 2, both use a USB ADSL modem, but I can only connect to the internet on one of them at the same time, due to lack of phone sockets, and they both have NIC.

The computer uses a "VIA Rhine II fast ethernet adapter", which is onboard, and the laptop uses a "Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI fast ethernet NIC".

I am unsure of the type of cable I am using, but I think it is a CAT5, as it worked on a different computer for the same reasons.

Does anyone know how I would get this to work? Any attempts so far have resulted in the "Network" being displayed, but no computers "Connected" to it.

Thanks.

If you try to use a network cable that is a straight through cable (AKA normal CAT5) it won't work as the wires are not connected to the proper pins on both ends. A "Crossover" cable is what you want so you can connect two computers together. The straight through cable is meant for plugging into routers and hubs.

Also make sure that both computers are on the same workgroup so that you can see if you see your laptop and the computer that you are trying to connect to.

Sonict

He needs crimpers, ethernet cap thingies, wire cutters, wire strippers, and well not many people have crimpers x.x

It isn't hard to do though, just google it up.

Yes, but it can get frustrating when you have to "skin" the wire and not get nicks (?sp) in the wires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back