What Is The Line Between a Recolour To A Decent Character?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, this question has been bothering me a lot. What IS the line between a re-colour/overpowered character to a decent one? I know some people tend to judge differently but I really want to know. Most people tend to say a re-colour is just a official character with a different colour scheme, which it right, but now most people are calling characters with slight add-ons, re-colours, just because they look similar to an official character.

From what I hear, 75% of fan-characters are hedgehogs and most of them are slight edits of Sonic, Shadow and now Silver and some have either encountered, worked with or related to official characters. So, how do YOU judge a bad character? By looks, powers? Tell me.

Personally I judge by power, I really don’t care if it’s a hedgehog or re-colour. All of my friends fan characters have powers that can be explained by science and that ticks me off. Basically, How can you tell what’s bad and what’s not?

(((This is probably a stupid topic .-.’)))

I would consider anyting made fomr an official character a re-color

I mean really...what if Sega/SonicTeam made a character that looked just like Sonic, but green and with a coat?

I judge re-colors by what abilities they had at first. In SA2B Shadow would be a re-color because at first he had the same abilities, his power-ups wouldn't count. Though now people are just slightly altering characters abilities to make us thing they're not a re-color, but if they lower their speed or they give them one extra ability, I would call them a re-color.

Overpowered people suck, recolors or not.

Also, if it's freakishly obvious that it's an edit, then yeah, he's a crappy recolor.

A recolor is a character loosely based on another official character; for a recolor to be officially defined that, however, it must also lack creativity. If you look at the Mario series, there's the Hammer Bros. and Fire Bros., Lava Piranha from Paper Mario and the Piranha Plant boss from Yoshi's Island; Kirby and the unmasked Metaknight (and don't forget Dark Kirby from the mirror world) have a similar look too, and just about the same goes with Megaman and Protoman.

The main reason those characters mentioned aren't considered recolors is because they still contain creativity. Fire Bros. is a subspecies of the Hammer Bros., as is a ton of other kinds of creatures, from Sumo Bros. to 1337 Bros. from M&L2. It's believable, and not overdone either. While Kirby and Metaknight unmasked look very similar, minus contrasting colors, their personality, traits, and role are extremely different. Megaman and Protoman are also not considered recolors, due to the simple fact that it isn't overdone. They look similar, but there's no real reason to bash them anyway.

It's a different case with the Sonic series. Amy isn't exactly a recolor of Sonic; she not only looks very different (old or new design, whichever you prefer), but she's also the second hedgehog to appear in the series. There's nothing wrong with having another hedgehog around, right? It's not like they're a one-of-a-kind species or anything. Something has to be said about Shadow and Silver, though. Practically the only differences between Shadow and Sonic is that Sonic is blue and Shadow has red stripes. Other than that, they're the same in design. The real difference in SA2 was that Shadow took role of a villain; he was also a dynamic character with backstory that ended up persuading him to help Sonic save the world for the cost of his own life. That's enough to make him a legit character, except Sonic Team screwed the hell up by bringing him back to life, eliminating the point in the heartfelt atmosphere of the SA2 ending. Worse, they dulled his personality to "OH WHY MARIA WHY I MUST MAKE SURE NO ONE SUFFERS MY FATE", ruining credibility, and giving him the reputation of a needless recolor. Silver isn't any better either. Silver's design differs a good deal from Sonic's compared to Shadow -- in fact, he looks more like a peacock than a hedgehog. That doesn't save him any, though; he's the fourth hedgehog to appear in the series, and doesn't seem to have much personality. His backstory? "im from the future i need 2 find the iblis tiger"

Most fanmade characters can be considered recolors, if they're based on major characters of a certain game. Super Mystic Sonic, Nitro, and even Senku are recolors, because the idea of another hedgehog has already been done a thousand times. If Sonic has a thousand other official characters as friends that look a lot like him, then his design can no longer be considered unique.

Lee-way can be made to some minor characters, especially minor enemies. Some great examples can Emerald Sir Kibble (fan-made), Kooper (official), and Master Head (SSB fan-made). The plain reasoning is because they're never done. Do you ever see someone naming themselves as Emerald Kibble? I sure don't. Fan characters are fan characters no matter what, but with enough rarity of the concept, it can be considered legit enough to be above the rank of a recolor.

I can barely name any Sonic fan-characters that aren't just recolors. Hyper Metal Sonic X is the coolest fan character I've seen yet, recolor or not. For those of you looking to make a fan character based on Sonic the Hedgehog, why not base your character on some of the minor enemies? You know, like Grounder or Crabmeat. It'll look a lot more respectable just because of its rarity.

I judge them by both design, and what they can do. You have to make a character stand out from the rest, you can have some abilities from others but not the whole entire list of what they can do. But also you can't make him/her overpowered with other character abilities then just one to.

Speaking in terms of Sonic, a recolor is another character that looks similar to another character of that same species, or, in extreme cases, another species. (Mighty & Sonic, for example.) Some recolors have an actual point. Mighty made a good alternative to Sonic in Chaotix. Amy is the damsel in distress that the hero has to rescue. Others have no real point, like Shadow. But that is what a recolor really is. However, most recolors are fan characters.

Now, there's nothing really wrong with fan characters. Just a little something that was done in boredom, or some such. They also make great scenery objects in a city-based level, if done decently. However, the real problem with recolors is the "OMG MIE HYPER FORM IZ BETTER THAN URS!!!1", and the like. And especially the problems in characters for SRB2 are that recolors were constantly coming in, had the same basic stats, were edited from the Sonic sprites with only a few minor paint-drawn differences.

Blue Warrior said:
Hyper Metal Sonic X is the coolest fan character I've seen yet, recolor or not. For those of you looking to make a fan character based on Sonic the Hedgehog, why not base your character on some of the minor enemies? You know, like Grounder or Crabmeat. It'll look a lot more respectable just because of its rarity.

I never knew that someone in the SRB2 community would actually like his first design, when I first joined all I thought was that everyone here would call him a horrible re-colour, I was too scared to show the 2007 version, I ditched the n00bish name and replaced it with “Techron” here’s the updated version

(((Turned to URL form because it’s a big picture)))

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1816/blueprintru2.png

Although this is his hedgehog form I made a few changes to him and he became a three horned Jackson Chameleon due to his cloaking ability and his colour has been changed to murky green and rusted silver. Heh, I’m not in the 75% anymore XD

But yes, there are way too many hedgehogs on the fan-characters-verse with dorkey names to go with it and a hideous bio’s, a combo!

NeoJames said:
I mean really...what if Sega/SonicTeam made a character that looked just like Sonic, but green and with a coat?[/i]
Also, there is Scourge from the comics. Comic # 161 to be exact.

Honestly, I personally consider a recolor to be anything based on another character. The difference is, sometimes there is a good reason to have a recolor, and sometimes there isn't.

The perfect example of a well done recolor would be Luigi. Luigi was created for the sole purpose of having somebody for player 2 to control. Heck, in a lot of the early games, he shares the same sprite as Mario, just colored green. However, as time went on, Nintendo added some differences and gave him a separate personality and some physical differences, and created another character, instead of just "Player 2".

I'll even break from most of the forums and say that Shadow, in Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Adventure 2 ONLY, was a well done recolor. He had a reason to exist, as a "bad" Sonic for purposes of SA2's light/dark storyline gimmick, and he was a well-executed character with a plot they fully explored. He then died at the end of the game, since he didn't have a reason to exist outside of SA2. Stupid fanboys.

However, most people seem to love making fan characters, including SEGA at this point *cough* Silver *cough* that simply don't have a reason to exist, and more importantly, aren't interesting. I don't want to play as Sonic with a shirt on, and I REALLY don't want to play as a character with no reason to exist.

Fan characters are lame. Period. No exceptions. I don't care if they're the most creative, well-edited idea imaginable, I don't have any interest in a character that means nothing to me. I play as Sonic because he's SONIC, a character I've liked since my childhood. I don't play as him because he's well sprited or looks cool, although if that's true it certainly helps. If you feel you absolutely must make some stupid fan character, if you want me to have any remote interest you'd better have some plot in cutscenes where he's relevant and interesting, and give him some kind of moveset that's totally different from what we already have. Otherwise, I will ignore his existence entirely.

I started out as a metalsonic recolor. I started to make a few edits to my avatar. Recently I had my spike style like SF94's but I changed it to the shadow hair style you see now...

NeoJames said:
I mean really...what if Sega/SonicTeam made a character that looked just like Sonic, but green and with a coat?

They'd name it Blaze.

Nope, actually, I thought Blaze had pretty good character design for that time. But her head, ... it looks like a guy's, even in ecchi.

EDIT: One thing I don't like about fan characters is when they give them about seven super forms that the don't need any certain item to morph into.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back