Doom 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larz T

Bool Man Larry
Judge
Yes, there is going to be a new Doom. Possibly, the finally of the Doom Series. It was seen at this years E3. I was actully there but I did not get any footage when I was there. But I've found an article on Wikipedia and a video revealing AT E3 2010 (mostly a folder named Doom 4 VO TALENT). As I had read on Wikipedia. It has said, this project has been in the works since 2008. But at this years E3, John Carmack, the co-founder of id Software, was interviewed. He said,
There is really not any news on Doom 4 and we wanted to devote this year on the making on Rage. Also, Doom 4 will be using a new scripting language that is based off C++ and we'll call it "super-script".
Basiclly, once Rage realeses on October 4 (NA), October 6 (AUS), and October 7 (EU), they'll start working on Doom 4. The realease date is currently unavalible.
LINK TO ARTICLE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doom_4
LINK TO VIDEO ON THE DOOM 4 PROJECT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKtfZXMHxLo

EDIT: Forgot the consoles. It'll be for Xbox360 and PS3

Last edited:
Srb2 will be ported to doom 4. No exceptions. Scrap eveything and restart in doom 4. Now.

Last edited:
Srb2 will be ported to doom 4. No exceptions. Scrap eveything and restart in doom 4. Now.
Oops, sorry. I forgot which systems it'll come out for. Plus, it'll probably be more like a FPS like Call of Duty and Halo without sprites but with 3D modules.

Last edited:
This better not end up being Half-Life with more dark like Doom 3 did. The best way they could go with this kind of thing is to basically make another Painkiller. Still, though, I'm hoping for the best.

..And if this doesn't work out, at least we still have Serious Sam 3. :V

. . .That was sarcasm Tyler? XD

Anyway, regarding Bob's post, I have to say I actually liked the darkness that was used in Doom 3, I mean for it's own good it was WAAAY too dark, but it really made the enemies consistent with it, especially when you could hear the zombies walking around and you couldn't barely find where it was without your flashlight.

In just my defense, Doom 3 really gave off a true action horror experience despite the lack of real lighting now and then.

The fact that they're focusing on a higher enemy count seems like a pretty good sign to me. I've only played the demo of Doom 3, but what bothers me the most about the game is that there's more emphasis on one-on-one battles with highly-intelligent enemies. There's also too much focus on cinematics and generally scaring the player rather than providing a solid gameplay experience. I recall IGN once writing a (rather poor) article on how some video game franchises could get back on their feet. They erroneously classified the Doom series as being all about scaring the player. That's not what Doom is about. It's about all-out action. It's about running freely through each map, taking down hundreds of swarming demons on your quest to find the exit switch. Scariness is a much lower priority.

IMO, the sound of a cyberdemon when low on health and ammo in Doom 2 was much scarier than anything Doom 3 threw at me, at least in the megawads of the game. Doom 2's original level design really sucked, but that's a bit offtopic.

Doom 3 got repetitive and rather boring after a while.

I'd say the first run through of Doom can be pretty scary, actually, with a lot of surprise attacks, cramped spaces allowing for dangerous ambushes, dark rooms everywhere and a general feeling of loneliness and dread. Then, once you begin to understand how the game works, it quickly ramps up into an all-out slaughterfest, with you generally doing the slaughtering instead of the monsters.

The first Doom is a much better example of this than Doom 2 is, however; that one honestly felt like a slaughterfest from the word "go". Doom 64 ramps the "scary" phase up to eleven, especially since it starts to use some rudimentary scripting, colored lighting, and moodier music to set up a much creepier atmosphere. The PS1/Saturn ports of Doom do this, too, except without the scripting, and in the Saturn version's case, without the colored lighting. Changing the music from heavy metal to what sounds like crying babies in the background can do a lot to change the game's feel, y'know?

From what I've gathered, though, Doom 3 never reaches the "slaughterfest" stage, instead playing up the "scary" phase for all it's worth, which... doesn't really seem to work. I haven't played it yet, but it's kind of disappointing, just from thinking about it. My understanding is that they want to go back to the old formula for Doom 4, which is a good sign. Hopefully they can recreate the labyrinthine level design to go with it. It's not really Doom if it's linear as hell - actually, scratch that, Doom had Hell, and it was definitely not linear in the slightest...

Bump

Sorry for the bump and a very late update for this game.

Anyways since QuakeCon 2012 (I belive that took place in early August), John Carmack said:
John Carmack:
The majority of id Software’s manpower and resources is focused on DOOM 4. DOOM 4 will be done when it's done.
So like John Carmack said, it will be done when it's done and probably won't see a release for a couple of years or so. Right now the only thing to do is be patient and look for more updates for Doom 4. If there are any updates regarding Doom 4, I will post here. But for now we can all enjoy Doom 3: BFG Edition until we get sick and tired of it.
Again, sorry for the bump. I hope this bump was worth it.

RESOURCES:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back