SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > SRB2 Discussion

Old 08-27-2015   #4881
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

It is a difficulty spike, but it sounds to me like his problem is that he isn't noticing the differences between the boss and the fakes, because when you hit a fake you don't bounce off like you do when you hit the boss. Hence why he's falling into the water after they split up. You have to hit the real boss, not his clones.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015   #4882
JEV3
There and back again~
Developer

I think the difference between the boss and the clones needed to be pointed out to me when I played the DSZ3 remake. I was just trying to make an educated guess by which direction I thought I saw him go through the pipe, if I remember correctly.

Once it was pointed out to me though it was easy to see the difference.

~The Greatest Adventure: Ballad of the Hobbit
JEV3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015   #4883
Death Egg

Perhaps have the fakes be smaller in the same way they are with Metropolis Zones boss?
Death Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015   #4884
TripleT

I know there are fake ones but they look very similar to the real one and it is really hard to tell on there.

Another thing is it even possible to hit Dr. Eggman in Castle Eggman without getting hurt? It seems if you hit him you will bounce back into the spike balls of doom behind you.
TripleT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015   #4885
Unknownlight

Absolutely you can. I'm actually not even sure what you're doing that's causing you to get hurt.
Unknownlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015   #4886
Blaze The Cat
& Knuckles

I have never found any visual difference from the clones and the real yet, and it's bugging me, because I have to rely on luck if I want to time trial this. (Or force the same RNG by re-opening SRB2)
Blaze The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015   #4887
Nekoishi
Is actually

Default Got to plan my dispersal; time to leave them all behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze The Cat View Post
I have never found any visual difference from the clones and the real yet, and it's bugging me, because I have to rely on luck if I want to time trial this. (Or force the same RNG by re-opening SRB2)
I'm pretty sure there's multiple differences but the only one I remember is that the clones have different eyes.
http://puu.sh/mtIMI.png
Nekoishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015   #4888
Puppyfaic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze The Cat View Post
The clones are fatter and have an opaque background. They also aren't animated.
Puppyfaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015   #4889
"Lat'"
Stop it

The clones' heads are also much bigger than the original. But yeah, I gotta admit that DSZ3's boss fight is extremely annoying.
"Lat'" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015   #4890
Prime 2.0
Grape flavored
Administrator

The clones have an Eggman balloon in the cockpit.
Science tells us that nothing can be proven, only rendered more likely to be true. If we do not question what we already know, how can we know, much less admit, when we're wrong? Such things are vital to progress.
Prime 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015   #4891
MosaicMario
Possessed User Title

Also only the original makes shooting sounds. The clones do not have any soundeffects.
In my opinion the DSZ boss was totaly fine. The only thing that bugs me is when you play that stage in the openGL render and if Eggman goes to the middle he will be black what can make it hard to see and differ from the fakes.
Old 09-25-2015   #4892
StarmakerJasper
Hey, that's my pudding!

Allow for more information to be placed on the Player Select for new skins, preferably in a page by page style. Many character wads on the forums right now play very much differently from normal characters, and those wads often have to tell the player to refer to the thread since they don't have enough space to put all the info required down. I guess you could probably just include a readme with the wad, but I think it'd be nicer to have that info readily accessible in-game.

I also wouldn't turn down putting in support for showing graphics on the aformentioned Player Select as well, such as being able to place an image of a specific HUD element for a character or something of that caliber.
StarmakerJasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015   #4893
Rumia1
Backseat Developer

Add an analog-specific linedef that transitions from one camera angle to another. This camera angle should be able to be set in a certain place that follows the player, or have it follow the player from behind, thus aleviating some of the need to have the player manually turn the camera.
Rumia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015   #4894
Ritz
cornstar

A "camera focal point" object for the camera to selectively point to. Possible solution, make a linedef type that points to the tagged thing when triggered no matter where it is in the map, with another linedef to deactivate it. Some way to control the degree of influence on the camera's Y would be nice.

Also voting for stick sensitivity for movement, camera control and thok direction in analog mode, plus actual strafing. I know these must have been requested 30 times already, what's the holdup? (As in "what's stopping this" and not "hurry up already slaves")

EDIT: Plus a button to center the camera wherever the player's facing.

Last edited by Ritz; 10-10-2015 at 05:34 PM.
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015   #4895
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

Nothing is stopping it. Nobody is implementing it.

There's a major difference between "X would be nice" and "I'm going to go implement X". Nobody on the team actually USES analog mode, and generally anything the dev team doesn't use gets neglected.
Old 10-10-2015   #4896
Ritz
cornstar

I figured, but you guys should give it a shot. I set it up just to see how the characters looked with my palette mods, and I wound up beating the whole game like that. The front sprite visibility, increased field of view and availability of camera control makes the game feel so much larger. Bounces are easier to pull off. Multidirectional thokking is a total improvement- backdashes and 90 launches around corners feel great, but the increased margin of error makes me more taciturn with my jumps.* It's tightening up player movement and correcting the pacing all at once (see also: "thokfest" complaints).

I dunno, I've been rolling keyboard for 12 years, but I kind of feel like it's the only way I want to play now. With a little polish, it could be the definitive way to play for anyone who isn't a competing veteran. It feels so right.

*EDIT: Of course this wouldn't be a thing with sensitivity for more than 8 angles so I don't know why I even brought it up

Last edited by Ritz; 10-10-2015 at 11:49 PM.
Old 10-12-2015   #4897
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

Just want to chime in that I actually really like the analog control scheme, and I've preferred it for a little while now. It feels more like a traditional platformer and I can actually see the awesome Chuckles front sprites. It's just that its implementation is so bad that I have to hamstring together a custom input method so that it's more precise.

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff
CobaltBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015   #4898
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

The problem is that a lot of the dev team, myself included, finds analog mode to be absolutely unplayable. I can play the game without strafe FAR better than I can play the game in analog. I do agree that analog mode is what people expect from a 3D platformer, but even without fighting the camera constantly, I find it unusable.

I'd love to see it improved so people who choose to use it aren't shooting themselves in BOTH feet, but when nobody working on the game is actually using it, it's both hard to get motivation to fix it and hard to even test that the changes are an improvement.
Old 10-12-2015   #4899
Ritz
cornstar

Well I mean, my whole suggestion was to make it playable. Binding rotate camera L and R to the shoulder buttons on a pad makes it a hell of a lot more functional if anyone reading this hasn't tried it yet (using xpadder to max out the stick deadzones and minimize thok error helps too). To be clear, it won't ever top keyboard as a more precise input method for me, but I recognize its aesthetic appeal and I'm willing to trade off for that.

But then I'm a special case since I outright refuse to play 2D Sonic with my hands now. Control deprivation is super fun to me because it strips all motor memory and makes the game fresh again. Just saying, analog is fun and everyone should try it again in earnest

Last edited by Ritz; 10-12-2015 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-12-2015   #4900
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

I assumed you'd bind the keys to reasonable things. I still find it so unplayable that I suspect I'd have better luck trying to play on a DDR pad.