Yes, the SRB2 Master Server is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spazzo

Cue Edit: http://www.srb2.org/mb/viewtopic.php?t=17403

And no, this ISN'T an April Fools joke.

Cue has become overwhelmed with putting up with it, and just decided to pull the plug.

Notice from Cue: Since people can't control themselves and have screwed up the MS, I've decided to shut it down. That is all.

Sorry for any inconvenience this causes. You guys are more than welcome to make your own master servers, however.

glaber said:
So what is SRB2 ME going to connect to?
ipconnect.png

BACK IN MY DAY...

<insert ranting about going to school through the snow, uphill, both ways>

That's the way it was done in the past for me too, so it's nice to go back to old times.

You should have shown a TUSL picture, though :(

This makes me curious as to whether I should open back up the SigSev Cafe master server.

Furthermore, I'm curious how this will affect the whole community.

Blue Warrior said:
This makes me curious as to whether I should open back up the SigSev Cafe master server.

Part of the beauty of this, is that it allows for people to make their OWN master servers that we don't have to deal with. There's nothing stopping you from making your own, so be my guest.

The analogy I used in #srb2fun was how hosting the MS to cue was like hosting the bigass frat party for everybody, versus GOING to a frat party.

I have 2 thoughts in this

1. Everyone ruined it...
2.You want to save money :)

.....So I wonder if anyone will join our games now...

So how should we go about organizing our net games? Chances are that with the MS gone, again. We might see an influx of n00bi5h posts all asking about why they can't play online and when they find out how to play online they might try setting up a game here. Also how in the world are we suppose to do the multiplayer portion of the last contest of SRB2 v1.09.4a?

It is a shame that the master server is gone, but I bet Cue has his reasons. I can understand how dealing with n00bs every waking moment could drive you to near insanity.
That is the price for managing a master server with millions of servers that are basically "Amy chasing Sawnik LOL".
My main concern with the shutting down of the master server is what would players who get their multi-player enjoyment from SRB2 do if they do not have the resources to host/manage a master server and they do not know anybody to do the host/manage one either?

You don't need a master server to join netgames, just get a list of your friends ip's and join the old fashion way

It's been a while, Mikesword221. While Logan/Alam were still administrators (IIRC), Cue was officially handed the MS.

I personally think this is a really stupid idea. There is no valid reason for removing a legitimate feature, let alone one with such merit as this. I like being able to jump on servers at random and do whatever they're doing. For certain, the lack of a legitimate and bona fide Master Server will cause SRB2 to die off a lot faster than it would have otherwise.

Srb2 isn't going to die off that easily. If Cue decides to put the MS back up, I'll gurantee you that people will actually start joining and playing again.

Boinciel, I disagree. If the RP's know how to change there IP to avoid bans, I'm sure they know how to make there own MS.

Boinciel said:
For certain, the lack of a legitimate and bona fide Master Server will cause SRB2 to die off a lot faster than it would have otherwise.

Go tell that to the folks that played SRB2 before the 1.09 era.

This has it's good sides and it's bad sides. I know I don't have to explain them.

But in the end, I think it was the better choice.

I'm one of those post 1.09 netgamers, but I did play single player and 2 player split screen before then. Is ther a wiki article for hosting?

"Good job" and "It took long enough" are the only things I can say at this point.

Why not remake the ban system to only allow specific IP's of users? IP's of users that Cue trusts of course. It'd be something similar to HDiJ's admitance system, but with ban exceptions for the Master Server.
Not a good idea?

The sides?

Good sides: Saving money,doesn't have to look at reports,has more time,

Bad sides: People will join just to ask "Why cant i connet to da mastr server????" or something like that,Srb2 will start to get boring,people will bug us on
" how to make a master server", Again people will bug us on " what is a good master server??????".

That is all I can think of right now.

Let's hope Cue reconsiders his decision,If not...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back