Impersonating another server/person: A form of harassment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyro Fox Boy

Me and everyone else
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I need to get some clarification if this is a form of harassment or not.

Okay, so, I was hosting a Tortured Planet game on the casual server and I have a few close friends playing on my server. One of them is lagging pretty badly since his connection is kinda bipolar (meaning it runs great one day and then it runs bad the next day or so) and we got to Nimbus Icecap when we started to get more players. My friend was still lagging and I really didn't want to kick him because I wanted him to play. Then this one guy started complaining about the lag and started telling me to kick him. I have already told my friend to rejoin or restart his computer to see if it would work, but it didn't. But then, the guy started really started to get angry and yelled at my friend to get out of my server. Instead of kicking my friend, I kicked him instead. I kept track of his IP and he started to join and leave repeatedly. During a lag spike, I took this chance to ban his node and he never came back.

I shut my server down after a while and reopened it back up. My friend with the bad lag came into my server and told me that I had two servers opened. I checked by doing the listserv command and sure enough, I found that another person did have the same server name that I had. Not only that, a couple of friends of mine were in it. So, I went in to check it out and before I could say anything I was banned right on the spot. This pretty much pissed me off and I went ahead and reported him. Before I did that, I have captured a screen shot of his and my server while we were both online. Sadly, I didn't keep the logs of what happened. After I got done playing I changed my server name to hide my actual server name, but then I went to check to see if that person's server was in the server log thing. I didn't see my old server's name that the person was using, but I did notice his IP address.

Here is a screen shot of my our servers and our actual IPs:

Moderator Notice:
snip

I am still irritated by this and I am not sure why he did it in the first place... What do you think? Is this a form of harassment or is this guy angry just because I didn't kick my friend out of my server?

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe we should have a way of tying your server name to your MB account...

I agree. Most people probably don't check the IP of a server before joining it and could be misled, causing them to stop joining your server.

That looks less like "impersonation" and more like "slander".

Impersonation is "meh", slandering another user is a whole 'nother matter entirely (and most certainly worth a temp-ban from hosting at minimum).

However, having said this, starting a topic on the matter is probably not the best action. Thus, I'm locking this.

Maybe we should have a way of tying your server name to your MB account...
Oh, AJ, how many times that has been wished for...

Last edited:
For the record though, we've looked into this and dealt with it accordingly; the report wasn't faked. For future reference though, make reports either through the master server's built-in reporting server, or by private messaging a mod or admin.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back