Counting Crows
Daughtry

TOP 5 FAVORITE SONGS:
Cowboys (Counting Crows)
Say When (The Fray)
What Have We Become (Daughtry)
All These Lives (Daughtry)
Every Time You Turn Around (Daughtry)

Yeah...my favorite songs are pretty much all concentrated between those three groups. My list actually extends to a well-maintained playlist of my 50 favorite songs (though I don't order them at the 50-song level; that would be insane). About 90% of what's on there is split between the three groups, with a smattering of others.

Since I only really listen to rap

Eminem - My favorite
J. Cole - 2nd fav
Kanye west
Lil wayne
B.o.B
Wale
There are plenty more but I don't have that kind of patience.

but for some reason I feel like when I listen to DOOM rap, his flow sounds a bit different or off. Is that just me?
No, it is "off" in a way, but that's just what makes it so much more interesting. To quote a great Youtube comment (yes, these things exist):

What I find truly fascinating about DOOM, is that most rappers ride behind the beat, or rather take their cue from the beat. Whereas DOOM seems to dictacte the beat- not vice versa. If it were a dance, others let the beat lead, where with DOOM he is right there with the beat if not anticipating it. For example the beat starts on his first consonant. Rapping in DOOM's style is very hard. I, atleast find myself sounding like I'm behind the beat, because DOOM rides infront of the beat.

...And as you may have guessed, I'm really getting into Madvillian. I'm not that much of a lyrics person, even with rap, so the better the producer, the better the chances I like it. Which is why I love this stuff.

Last edited:
Gang Starr - I don't know, when I introduced my friends to Gang Starr, they all started acting less cocky and generally became nicer people. Must be something in this stuff. Work My Ringtone =) Moment Of Truth - If you're not into rap I noticed most people like this one. How can you not?

Gang Starr's another good group, one of the ones I forgot when I made my first post. DJ Premier's around great producer with a signature sound, and Guru (RIP) has a voice pretty much made for hip-hop.

What Does Your Soul Look Like Pt 1
yesssssssssssssssssssss

One of my favorite songs of all time, maybe even number one.

I liked the popular Doomsday song, but for some reason I feel like when I listen to DOOM rap, his flow sounds a bit different or off. Is that just me?
One of the things about DOOM is that when he raps, more often than not, he has his rhymes dictate the beat, instead of the other way around.

god damn it spiritcrusher quit being me

Last edited:
I also prefer Peter-fronted Genesis, although Selling England by the Pound is probably my favorite. I guess the really short tracks on Nursery Cryme do nothing for me (although the longer ones are definitely up to par) and Foxtrot... well, I don't know, I just love some of the songs on SEbtP a tad more. Especially The Cinema Show. Well, tastes always differ a bit.

Gonna have to bump for this shit:

http://www.gorillavsbear.net/2011/01/03/mp3-madvillain-avalanche-victory-lap/

oh sweet jesus the second madvillain album can't come out soon enough
Holy shit where does that guy get all those awesome samples from?

Now that this topic came up again, I'm gonna tell you guys what I bought from some of the money I got for Christmas (if anyone cares):

• Jethro Tull - Thick As a Brick and A Passion Play: You should know Jethro Tull. They're somewhere between folk rock (with a flute), progressive rock and even jazz rock (some tasty saxophones, especially on the latter one). The two albums I bought are their prog rock epic, and both contain a mere song spanning the whole album length. Thick As a Brick is widely considered the best prog rock album ever (along with around ten other albums) while A Passion Play was almost universally hated by critics and half of their fans and was one of those overblown records that caused punk to happen. Interestingly, I think it's better one of the two. Both are on Youtube in their full length, so listen if you want. It's really good even if exhausting stuff.
  • Radiohead - Kid A: If you seriously don't know this record, look it up now or remain forever ignorant.
  • Return to Forever - Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy: I think I advertised this group here before. I only owned Romantic Warrior before, which is awesome, but this one is even better. Energetic, fast, complex jazz rock.
  • Rush - Hemispheres: Again, prog rock, but a heavier version of it, even borderline hard rock. Haven't listened to it much since I bought it because I knew most of it anyway, but it's a great album. For anyone who gets the reference, one of the songs is called "La Villa Strangiato". Does that ring a bell to you people here?
  • Most of the Soft Machine catalogue. In fact, I'm only missing Six and Seven. A Canterbury Scene prog band that did just about anything. Their first incarnation was psychedelic rock typical of 1967 but much more elaborate. With Third, their classic, they turned into one of the few jazz-rock bands coming from the rock side from the equation that even jazz fans enjoyed. Then they stopped singing altogether and made more jazz fusion with less and less emphasis on rock. Then, when the last original member was in the process of leaving, they transformed to jazz-rock similar to Return to Forever. This was actually the first time they had a guitarist. Great band, though I've yet to listen to all of the stuff I bought from them. It's a whole lot.
  • Taake - Doedskvad: Melodic black metal with a classic heavy metal edge. Might come as a surprise after the rest of the stuff I listed, but I'm rather proud of my diverse taste. :diploma:
  • Ulver - Bergtatt: A black metal classic. One of the first records to mix black metal with folk.
  • Yes - Tales from Topographic Oceans and Relayer: Part 2 of "stuff that caused punk rock to happen". Yes were known for making overblown prog rock before, but this is just so much more over the top. The former is a four-sided record with four 20-minute epics, while the latter features three songs on a single album. Haven't listened to those that much either, but first impression left me rather cold, unlike the overblown Tull stuff and also unlike the Yes "classics" that were just as overblown.

I'm not going to bust out details like SpiritCrusher, but I will make a short-and-sweet list (again).
  • Five Finger Death Punch
  • Papa Roach
  • Drowning Pool
  • Sukima Switch
  • Hollywood Undead(I don't listen to their hardcore just-rap shit like Christmas In Hollywood)
  • Saliva
  • Three Days Grace
  • Avenged Sevenfold
I listen to mostly rock, in case you didn't notice.

Holy shit where does that guy get all those awesome samples from?

That's a question I'd reserve for DJ Shadow. The Stem/Long Stem monologue about parking tickets that sounds like it's from some sort of dystopian movie is from a stand-up comedy routine!

But yeah, Madlib's still in his prime, if you ask me. There's something about the Victory Laps beat that makes the little snippet of it infinitely listenable.

Jethro Tull
yayyyyyy

Radiohead
booooooo

Radiohead's a rather overrated group. I get their appeal (and they get props for having the guy who does the Robin animated series do the Paranoid Android video), but I just can't get into them. Even if they are good, they're not #1 album of all time material, IMO.

yayyyyyy

Haven't heard Hemispheres, but I've listened to Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures, and they're both great. I'm going to have to check that album out.

That's a question I'd reserve for DJ Shadow. The Stem/Long Stem monologue about parking tickets that sounds like it's from some sort of dystopian movie is from a stand-up comedy routine!

But yeah, Madlib's still in his prime, if you ask me. There's something about the Victory Laps beat that makes the little snippet of it infinitely listenable.
DJ Shadow is out of competition in general. Gotta agree with that Victory Lap sample. I think one of the reasons why I've never really gotten into rap is that as a non-native, I miss about half of the appeal of the lyrics. Sure, if I look them up, I'll understand their words, but I can't really get behind what they are saying. Analyzing always seemed like a stupid thing to do with what's essentially street poetry. It's direct, and I'm too slow at English to get all of it. So good music underneath really helps to get me into rap.

Radiohead's a rather overrated group. I get their appeal (and they get props for having the guy who does the Robin animated series do the Paranoid Android video), but I just can't get into them. Even if they are good, they're not #1 album of all time material, IMO.
Actually, I find their alleged "best" album OK Computer to be rather overrated. Sure, it has great songs, but it also has some excruciatingly boring ballads (hi "No Surprises"). Also "Paranoid Android" leaves me cold. Kid A is much better, but I don't listen to much electronica, so maybe I'm overrating them in that respect. Apart from that, I've only heard the The Bends (some nice stuff but mostly typical britpop, which I don't like much), Amnesiac (Kid A leftovers, some great, some awful) and In Rainbows, which, even if it's excessively whiny, is great. And I think that's the trait that makes them a "not for everybody" band. They're incredibly whiny. Actually, Kid A circumvents that just fine by not letting Thom Yorke sing much.

#1 album of all time? Nah. But Kid A is one of the better ones in recent times, and certainly one you should have heard, no matter if you like it or not. Hell, I don't like London Calling much, but I know it's essential listening if you're really into music of different styles.

Haven't heard Hemispheres, but I've listened to Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures, and they're both great. I'm going to have to check that album out.
I have Moving Pictures, and it's my favorite. Hemispheres and everything before that is much less synth-heavy, has much longer songs and much more hard rock influence. But if you aren't turned off by that, the songwriting is the same quality. Oh, and they also wrote shorter songs back then. Check out "The Trees".

Last edited:
Ehh, Alternative Rock/Alt Metal fag here. My entire collection consists of Disturbed, Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin, Trapt, Three Doors Down, Papa Roach, and some Puddle of Mudd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back