Horrible sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really sad about this.

Every once in a while my computer will make this horrible revving sound upon boot up, that sounds like well... a car revving an engine...

I've heard rumors and facts looking it up that its one of 2 things.

1. 1.) It's the fan hitting and grinding up agents something.

2.) It's my Hard Drive Dying.

Now the first one is not bad but if the second one is true than my computer is gonna die soon..

Does anyone know a solution to this problem? Or possibly a place where I could buy a cheap good hard drive?

When my hard drive dies it went BANG! BANG! BANG! along with continuous tapping sounds then the fans started acting up and made the room VERY hot then finally complete shutdown.
Does that make you feel better?

Sure it's not just the fans in your computer running at maximum and then down to their normal setting? Most computers do that when they start up. Can you record the noise that's being made?

When I first purchased my new graphics card (88GT with a massive BFG OC2 heatsink) it always revved up on boot. Hard drives usually click when they die and the fans would probably be easy to spot, just turn your PC on with the case open (don't be a coward, it won't kill you, I do it often).

Yea I'm sure its my hard drive... I ran my computer with the case open (I know it wont kill me I do it all the time to... xD) and the source of the sound was the hard drive, but this doesn't happen every time I start it up only once in a great while. But I am positive its the hard drive.

I have a ST320413A from Standard Disk Drives.
Probably not the best drive... but I've only had it for a while now...

bob_the_flying_monkey said:
When my hard drive dies it went BANG! BANG! BANG! along with continuous tapping sounds then the fans started acting up and made the room VERY hot then finally complete shutdown.

Yes this does make me feel better... xD

Onja The Fox said:
bob_the_flying_monkey said:

Yes this does make me feel better... xD
Glad I can help XD

Hm. The sound of a fan making a grinding sound? I've heard that before.

Friend's card (An ATI Radeon X1650 Pro AGP) started "grinding". We simply took it as an annoyance; God, yes, it was annoying. Though this was constant. Not just at boot up.

A few weeks later, the fan stops working, heat generated by the GPU damages the GPU, and he has to get a new card. :3

Though if this only happens at boot, no problem.

If the hard drive was breaking, it'd be making noises at boot up and during any period of activity...

Your computer is fine. My graphics card's fan always revs at boot. As did my old 8800GT.

Mine used to do this a lot. It was in an enclosed little area though, so when we moved it into a wider place where it could cool off it started sounding fine.

Onja The Fox said:
Yea I do think I might be over pre-cautious with this, but I love my computer. xD It's like my kid.... 0-0

Uhhhhh......
spockgg1.gif

Eh, doesn't matter. Down here, it gets quite cold and all of the computers go really slow. They make a whirring noise, a really loud one in fact, it's just heating up, I just put the charger in and it solves the problem. =D
Now then, a car engine, that seems wierd. It isn't your hard drive dying by a mile. It would be more likely your fan, or the heater.

When I got my newest PC last year, I was worried that "revving" sound was coming from the hard drive as well...until I put my hand next to the fan itself while the PC booted up. I was pretty relieved. =P

I need to look into it more before I assume it's the hard drive. But it did sound like it was coming from the front where the HD is. the fans in the back... so I don't know...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back