Does joining a Roleplay server make the joiner banned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bouncey

This is something I wondering.

I know you get banned for hosting Roleplays or Hangouts but do you get banned for joining them, and I do mean joining them KNOWING there Roleplays or hangouts.

Rule 10 Use meaningful topic titles. I changed it for you this time, but don't do it again.

MS Rule 8 Only the host is responsible for the server. So, if only the host is banned for breaking the MS rules. There isn't any way to know the IP of joiners anyway, even if we DID want to have the joiners banned for hangout.

Awesome.. Of course with the servers getting banned there is less likely chance of being able to join one..

Torgo said:
MS Rule 8 Only the host is responsible for the server. So, if only the host is banned for breaking the MS rules.
... a rule that I will always disagree with in regards to dedicated servers. I mean, on a normal listen server that rule is fine, because 99.99% of the time, the host is actually AROUND, and if they're hanging out, the host quite obviously should be held responsible.

With dedicated servers, however, there's no true guarantee that the host is ACTUALLY there to police the place. Sure, he may set a password so some people can login and police the server, but THEY aren't even going to be around 24/7 either. Which makes it all too easy for someone to maliciously join the server with a few clones, and make a scene to get the dedicated server taken off despite it not being the host's fault whatsoever.

Rule breaking dedicated servers are extremely rare though. Actually dedicated servers in general are a bit rare. I doubt that would be a problem. I always look at what the host does anyway, not what the joiners are doing.

Torgo said:
Rule breaking dedicated servers are extremely rare though. Actually dedicated servers in general are a bit rare. I doubt that would be a problem. I always look at what the host does anyway, not what the joiners are doing.

What if the dedicated server turns into a hang-out?

Its the servers fault for giving his awesome hosting connection? :(

If the map is a coop map and people want to hang out in it, someone who doesn't want to will finish the map, and there's nothing anybody can do about it.

MattW_CFI said:
With dedicated servers, however, there's no true guarantee that the host is ACTUALLY there to police the place. Sure, he may set a password so some people can login and police the server, but THEY aren't even going to be around 24/7 either. Which makes it all too easy for someone to maliciously join the server with a few clones, and make a scene to get the dedicated server taken off despite it not being the host's fault whatsoever.

But considering the only people who know how to and actually host dedicated servers are those we know won't break that rule. Ezer hosts once in a while, IIRC, Sky Ninja hosts the WADBase server and then there's the SRB2.org server. To be honest, I don't see much of a problem here.

Either way, since you're making such a fuss, I'll alter that rule slightly... >_>

MS Rules said:
<a name="r8">8.</a> You are responsible for what happens in your server. The host of the netgame is responsible for making sure his or her netgame follows these rules. If a netgame is found to be in violation of a rule, the host will be held responsible. Exceptions may be made for dedicated servers in rare instances, as generally a dedicated server will not be monitored 24/7, but this will be down to the MS admins and their decision will final.

Cue said:
But considering the only people who know how to and actually host dedicated servers are those we know won't break that rule.

That's because noobs don't like to read the wiki.

Every time someone asks me: "SERVER HOW U DO A DEDICATED SERVER??", I answer: "Read wiki.srb2.org". Seems it's working until now...

Some days ago, I had hosted a dedicated server and went to give a ride. When I got home, I saw some players were chatting and RP'ing in my server. I sat down and typed some kind words from my heart:

"YOU ALL HAVE 5 MINUTES TO FINISH THE LEVEL, OR I'LL START BANNING!"

... worked. They finished in 2 minutes.

MattW_CFI said:
Sure, he may set a password so some people can login and police the server

I'll (try to) choose some reliable members and send them a password of my dedicated servers. May it helps a bit to keep things "more" clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back