Ever composed music?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just the title screen? You aren't being serious, right?

EDIT: or maybe you are... Is it the main theme and the title screen features a shortened version of it? This happens in a lot of soundtracks... always with cool main themes XD

*Gasp*

That's the first time I've heard that piece of music from Aled! It's great! Well done!

It's no joke Sik. I've heard Aled's music so far, and they are all going well. Too bad I never finish mine...

Impressive, I like it. You wouldn't happen to have Yamaha XG, would you? I'd love to hear some mp3s of your songs recorded in that softsynth.

Aled The Hedgehog said:
Rating. Please...

ATH2008.MID, 8/10

This is very good. Techno = ^_^. The beat's very good, too! The melody is simple but good.

The Synth Bass 2...I feel, should be something slightly different. Perhaps a Hammer Bass? The snare drums felt unusually loud, too.

What this song really needs is more reverb.

Monster Iestyn said:
It's no joke Sik. I've heard Aled's music so far, and they are all going well. Too bad I never finish mine...
I think you didn't catch it. I mean, it's simply way too good to be just the title screen... Through it's also true the title screen is sometimes a shortened version of the main theme. And those themes are normally very good.

Can I know how do you all do to get good instruments?! I always fail whenever I try to find a good instrument for a music x_X

I assume you're talking about making midis, but what exactly do you mean by "good" instruments? Do you mean high-quality instruments or fitting instruments?
SRB2WikiSonicMaster said:
The Synth Bass 2...I feel, should be something slightly different. Perhaps a Hammer Bass? The snare drums felt unusually loud, too.
That's a GM midi, SonicMaster. Try listening to the song in MSGS if haven't already; Hammer Bass is an XG exclusive instrument anyway.

Blue Warrior said:
I assume you're talking about making midis, but what exactly do you mean by "good" instruments? Do you mean high-quality instruments or fitting instruments?
High-quality instruments. Samples, whatever. All the instruments I have suck horribly. There's no way to make a decent music with them. And it's the main reason I don't make music.

Also, something scary:
http://srb2town.sepwich.com/junk/ingame.mid

EDIT: I prefer modules over MIDIs, so as you may expect my instruments are taken from samples, not from a patch bank. So think in that.

Blue Warrior said:
SRB2WikiSonicMaster said:
That's a GM midi, SonicMaster. Try listening to the song in MSGS if haven't already; Hammer Bass is an XG exclusive instrument anyway.

New comments:
The bass drum feel was done really well in both synthesizers! ^_^ But your sawtooth wave was too loud for MSGS.

Sik said:
Blue Warrior said:
High-quality instruments. Samples, whatever. All the instruments I have suck horribly. There's no way to make a decent music with them. And it's the main reason I don't make music.

Also, something scary:
http://srb2town.sepwich.com/junk/ingame.mid

EDIT: I prefer modules over MIDIs, so as you may expect my instruments are taken from samples, not from a patch bank. So think in that.

Sik, it is possible to make high-quality GM MIDIs (as Aled's thing has shown as well):

http://www.mediafire.com/?htmixajj2x3

This is a 30-second sample from my 20-minute Symphony in 32-Bit[/b]. Aotk stands for "Attack of the Kitsune," the third movement. I don't want to show you guys the whole thing because I want to actually sell this symphony. Took weeks to make.

@Syk: Well, it sounds like you're using Microsoft General Synthesizer (MSGS), which is supplied as the default midi synth for most computers. SonicMaster, most of SRB2's composers, and I have Yamaha XG, which far outranks it in terms of both instruments and effects. The first two questions on this FAQ of mine explains a bit more about midi synthesizers.

If you want an example of how good XG can sound compared to MSGS, listen to these two pieces:

Plain ol' midi: http://www.sapphirecontrol.com/music/scgame/versus1.mid
Midi recorded in an XG synth: http://www.sapphirecontrol.com/music/scgame/versus1.mp3

MSGS users will notice a big difference. I'm not even using XG to its fullest capabilities with that midi, though - a better example would be this: http://www.sapphirecontrol.com/music/videogame/supermariogalaxy-floaterland.mp3

Unfortunately, I simply got my XG synth from a friend, so I wouldn't know where you could buy one today. Maybe if you're lucky, though, you can come across one via download. Meanwhile, there ARE different versions of Yamaha XG floating around, and I know there's one available as freeware (whether it's still only in Japanese is beyond me). Do some googling, and you should be able to find something on it.

I used to use MSGS until I got a fresh install of XP. Now I use "B: SB Live! MIDI Synth" which I assume comes with my sound card.

It sounds that little bit better than MSGS, which is nice. And the volume isn't as overly high either. But it doesn't sound as good as the one BlueWarrior demonstrated.

Blue Warrior said:
You wouldn't happen to have Yamaha XG, would you? I'd love to hear some mp3s of your songs recorded in that softsynth.

No, I don't. But I do have a S2 Keyboard with about...422 sounds and Its so simple... and a Yamaha CX5, But that's for games like Sonic 1, 2, 3 and so on...

PROBLEM: One is covered with so many things with the Top Floor, I'm not getting it right now, and the other has no sound module, so I need some speakers. I 've got some, gladly. But I also need a computer with Cubase SX. Gladly, the one at the Top Floor is the Yamaha CX5, So...

I'll Begin said:
I used to use MSGS until I got a fresh install of XP. Now I use "B: SB Live! MIDI Synth" which I assume comes with my sound card.

It sounds that little bit better than MSGS, which is nice. And the volume isn't as overly high either. But it doesn't sound as good as the one BlueWarrior demonstrated.

Yeah, SBLive! isn't as great as XG, but it's the first synth I started making midis in. I don't do so much anymore with it since it's on my other computer, but I still appreciate having it around, if simply for nostalgic purposes.

You can make some pretty rockin' midis with it, though. Which I guess is also why I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back