SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > SRB2 Discussion

Old 04-08-2014   #4041
Unknownlight

So, as I learned from this topic, the old Act Clear screen gets used if the background screenshot of the normal Act Clear screen gets corrupted.

While this has only ever happened to me once, from that topic it looks like it happens a lot more often for other people. So, for the sake of polish (and because the old Act Clear screen is so blatantly different from the normal one), I think a better solution would be to use the level select/Record Attack screenshots for each level as the "backup" background instead.

...Hi-res versions of those screenshots do exist, right?
Unknownlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014   #4042
Wolfy
wolfs
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownlight View Post
...Hi-res versions of those screenshots do exist, right?
Nope! 320x200 only.
[23:56:36] <SM-MaxX> prisma illya is a gift to this impure earth and a shining beacon for all anime
Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014   #4043
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

Actually, unless they've changed, I'm pretty sure they're at 160x100.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014   #4044
~Confusion~

Default Suggestion

How about some more Record Attack Record types?
<hms> nice try aries
<~Despicable Me> Lol 2 hms
Despicable Me renamed to hms
Back then we all had windows xp... Lucky we were =S

Last edited by ~Confusion~; 04-10-2014 at 12:36 AM.
~Confusion~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014   #4045
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

What would the purpose of recording enemy kills alone as opposed to score be? Score is essentially the same only with chaining and other things involved.
Old 04-10-2014   #4046
Sapheros
That guy that ports
Permanently Banned

How's about making a "Zombies" mode for badniks? It could work like Call of Duty's Zombie mode, where you survive as long as you can while badniks constantly spawn in trying to hurt you. I thought of this idea because of the chaosmode.soc from 2.0 that if you were stuck in the stage for too long, too many badniks could overflow the stage and kill you easily. Implementing this idea as a survival mode would seem some type of fun, and if everyone dies, the game ends giving out the score results. Basically, It's Chaos Mode with co-op and a survival gameplay.
Sapheros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014   #4047
Zero_the_artificial
A Weavile Enthusiast

That's a good idea, but for a WAD. SRB2's point is to capture the essence of Classic Sonic's era, platforming, mind-bending speed, FUN. The survivavility mode would fit more in games like CoD, DOOM, and that kind of shooters. Chaos mode was truly fun (at least for me) but it was cut from the game because... I dont know, peanuts?
Either way, it's still a fun idea.
Old 04-10-2014   #4048
TehRealSalt
Ya Gal Sal Here (σᴥσ)
Judge

I'm certain the answer will be no. Chaos mode didn't work for several reasons, and I'm certain adding those things into the mix won't make it any better.
Old 04-10-2014   #4049
Sapheros
That guy that ports
Permanently Banned

That WAS the fun part about Chaos Mode, It's broken spawning structure, that's why i pitched the idea. Also, what is everyone's damage about about implementing things for the sake of classic nostalgia?
Old 04-10-2014   #4050
Larztard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duon the Adventurer View Post
Also, what is everyone's damage about about implementing things for the sake of classic nostalgia?
Nostalgia is just a bullshit silly reason to include stuff that was broken or unnecessary from previous versions of SRB2.
Old 04-10-2014   #4051
speed2411
*Speed-Roid*

I kinda miss Chaos mode, although I think it could be compiled into the Srb2 source code.

Spoiler:
Clearly, I controlled your mind to make you open this spoiler box. You cant resist my power!! I shall control your mind. ^_^
speed2411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014   #4052
The Zero Team

...Okay, am I the only who actually read the wiki about the Chaos gametype? "The gametype was eventually disabled in Final Demo 1.09 due to poor reputation, but can be enabled by compiling the source code with the CHAOSISNOTDEADYET symbol defined." Though I have no idea what that means, nor if that can still be done in 2.1.

Last edited by The Zero Team; 04-11-2014 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Fixed the first link
The Zero Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014   #4053
Jellybones
Lawful Neutral

just the fact that it requires compiling the source code means we will be too lazy to do it
there is also an old tale that 3 out of the 5 people who looked at the source code killed themselves. I'd like to avoid this fate.

On a serious note, has an unlockable character ever been considered? I know, sounds crazy with how long it took us to get a good Knuckles, but- consider the following: Metal Sonic. He's already done for you, already in the game, and his play style isn't so wildly different that levels need to accommodate him. In fact, he is like a Hard Mode Sonic, in a way. Food for thought.
Jellybones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014   #4054
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybones View Post
just the fact that it requires compiling the source code means we will be too lazy to do it
there is also an old tale that 3 out of the 5 people who looked at the source code killed themselves. I'd like to avoid this fate.

On a serious note, has an unlockable character ever been considered? I know, sounds crazy with how long it took us to get a good Knuckles, but- consider the following: Metal Sonic. He's already done for you, already in the game, and his play style isn't so wildly different that levels need to accommodate him. In fact, he is like a Hard Mode Sonic, in a way. Food for thought.
For what it's worth, I think that in the future we should consider a fourth character for the sake of multiplayer variety.

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff
CobaltBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014   #4055
Sapheros
That guy that ports
Permanently Banned

But then again, it's better to have the main trio so people that join servers without that fourth character don't get spoiled of all the fun to be had, and it wouldn't be fair for those if they can't complete the game.
Old 04-11-2014   #4056
Steelie
hakuna matata... wait what?

I support the unlockable character idea; but only for Singleplayer.

My suckish channel for SRB2 (and cats).
Steelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014   #4057
Trolo Bobo
Get "N" or get out!

I got 1 more suggestion:

A real tutorial level. We all know that GFZ1 tries to act like a tutorial stage but it's not that good. The level can be accesed from the single player menu, between start game and record attack and it should be called "tutorial level". After you select the character, you are instantly spawn to a short level with diffrent textures and explains to the player how to use things such as shields, tokens, slime, avoiding lava and bottomless pits, etc. It should contain only one emblem which is gotten directly from the level. Everything should be explained in a box in the upper right corner. If this level is made and ACZ and RVZ are finished, there will be exactly 200 emblems: 16 from both second acts of the zones, 8 more from the third hyper stage and 2 more from the bosses of the zones. That means 26 emblems. 160+26=186 so it remains 14 free emblems and 3 super levels. There should be 3 emblems for each ( because they are super) and that means 12 emblems. That means 198 emblems. Another one is an extra emblem for completing all hyper and super levels and the last one is the one from the tutorial level, which adds up to exactly 200.

Last edited by Trolo Bobo; 08-21-2016 at 03:31 PM.
Trolo Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014   #4058
Unknownlight

I really don't think things like rings, bottomless pits, slime, etc. need to be explained. They're all pretty self-evident. The only thing I think might need clearer explaining is shield abilities, but for that it would be much easier to simply display text the first time you get a shield: "Press Spin while in the air to activate this shield's special ability!" A tutorial level isn't necessary.

On another note, the Super Levels will have eight emblems each, not three. They're just like any other stage.
Unknownlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014   #4059
Sapheros
That guy that ports
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownlight View Post
I really don't think things like rings, bottomless pits, slime, etc. need to be explained. They're all pretty self-evident. The only thing I think might need clearer explaining is shield abilities, but for that it would be much easier to simply display text the first time you get a shield: "Press Spin while in the air to activate this shield's special ability!" A tutorial level isn't necessary.

On another note, the Super Levels will have eight emblems each, not three. They're just like any other stage.
Well at most, there should be a hint system that tells you how each feature works the first time you encounter it. It makes new players at least know what it is and what it does instead of posting fake bugs like: "The water in techno hill zone doesn't hurt me anymore wtf?"
Old 04-11-2014   #4060
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

While I don't object to the concept of adding unlockable characters, the problem is that they need to have a real purpose instead of just being there for the sake of being there. I've been trying to get more differentiation between Tails and Knuckles in SRB2, and adding in a fourth character would make giving them all a purpose even harder.