tossing an idea into the wind

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawhog

I don't mind if nobody listens or this thread gets locked, it's a harmless idea for a new gametype, Team Co-op:
-go to the end of the level while fighting the other team.
-in special stages, the team with the most rings wins
-rings can be fired at opponents, like in Team Match.
-if a player loses all of his/her lives, she will remain dead until a level is completed
-if all players die, the level will be restart.
-boss levels will be a deathmatch between teams

Anyone like my idea? Or is it too complicated?

I'm seeing if anyone else likes it first, before I officially suggest it. There needs to be changes to the maps, like weapon rings and team-only rings, but a separate set of maps would do. There's a few teaks the idea needs, but other than that, I'd think it'd be fun.

I was thinking of something like this earlier on too, but the problem is that all existing SP maps would need one hell of an overhaul for this to work. Lemme just list the potential problems to save me the trouble of an indepth explanation:

- SP maps have no weapon rings or team spawn points
- Some maps can either be exploited to unwinnable effect (Egg Rock ambush lol) or have a point of no return which prevents defenders from rejoining the attack
- SP maps are freaking massive and often have multiple routes completely seperate from each other, making it difficult to hunt people down (ever played Hide & Seek in one?)

If I were to seriously support this idea, I'd follow Left 4 Dead's example - making the attacking team visible at all times, allow the defenders to spawn anywhere (under the optional condition that they're out of sight) and so on and so forth. I'd also strongly recommend using Race maps instead of SP ones, being much better suited to this kind of thing. But alas, this would've had to be implemented very early in development for it to work, and by the looks of things the existing level design has already grown too far beyond the context to work well at all.

Another thing I was thinking of that is along the same lines, is have it play like ctf, the teams have to take their flag to the end. That's another way that could make a team-based co-op work. I do agree on its flaws (that Blacklightning brought up)

Come to think of it, This idea would have worked with the last version's levels, they were short enough to do this.

I did recently talk about an idea in IRC about a Counter-op mode; One team goes or the exit while the other kills the running team. The running team will not be able to shoot rings, but the opposing team will be able to not only shoot rings, but use the weapons rings too.

Sadly, Mystic stated how it would be ruined by people camping in one spot, making it useless for any level not like GFZ (Open, multiple paths, nowhere to really get stuck), meaning while 1.09 era levels would be perfect, newer ones would be a disaster (Arid Canyon and it's ropes, Eggrock zoom tubes, etc). though, levels made for it WOULD work, it's not an interesting enough feature, and is not important to the dev team. I suppose it CAN be done with the default things via a few scripts and things altered to work, or perhaps an EXE mod, but I know nothing about EXEs...

Hmm...Just the team race bit would be possible.

Although:

sawhog said:
Another thing I was thinking of that is along the same lines, is have it play like ctf, the teams have to take their flag to the end. That's another way that could make a team-based co-op work. I do agree on its flaws (that Blacklightning brought up)

If ya mean that by each team one end, uhhh...I highly doubt it. Think ERZ. One-way zoomtubes, anyone?

Although if you mean someone with a flag, and the others have to help...could be interesting:

Team Race:

First flagger to get there makes their team win. However, helpers cannot finish. If the flagger is hit, this is where an ingame variable might come in: co_race_flagdrop: if set to 1 it drops, but enemies cannot pick it up. If dead, it gets teleported to someone else. If 0, the flagger keeps it but is damaged. This also applies to death. If game-overs happen, then it is teleported to a teammate.

However, if one team dies completely, the other team insta-wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back