Version 2.1 Release

Status
Not open for further replies.
SRB2 is an ongoing endeavor which will likely last until time itself ends.

There is no "afterwards" because that implies there is an "after" to time.

Last edited:
SRB2 is an ongoing endeavor which will likely last until time itself ends.

It doesn't matter if civilization collapses and SRB2 has to be ported to the abacus, or humankind transcends the boundaries of reality and STJr starts using the infinitely powerful computers of the gods as server hosts - this project will never, ever die!

Version 2.1.9 Patch

Posted by Mystic on 08-04-2014 03:41 AM.

It’s been a while since the last patch, but this one is a little larger than the last few patches. The main fix in this patch is that netplay should at least mostly work now. Also, no, the next patch is not 2.2, it’s 2.1.10. Don’t even get us started.

• The netcode is dramatically more stable, especially when new players are joining. This of course doesn’t mean it’s perfect, but it should be much better than before.
  • Late joiners in Special Stages in Co-op now spectate until the end of the map instead of interfering with other players and/or exiting the map early.
  • Many bugs in the engine and level design that were reported on the forums were fixed.
  • Egg Rock Zone 3 now supports the Competition and Race game modes.
  • Lots of new functionality has been added to Lua scripting for use in modifications. Additions include (but are not limited to):
    • Hooks for player skin abilities and multiplayer chat events.
    • Custom map header options.
    • Many sorely-needed functions in the game’s code were opened up for use in Lua.

View on SRB2.org

Be patient. The announcement's always up before the download.

edit: did that really take me two minutes to type

This seems very interesting. I'm tempted to check it out and see how much better the netcode is, hah. I'll check it out and look for any bugs while I'm at it as well I guess.

Holy crap these netcode changes fixed some big issues. Finally srb2 has multiplayer again.

Awesome stuff! Now I can play with out getting stressed out.

Now all we need is Mlooksens and I will be a happy camper.

The netcode is a lot less nonsensical and unplayable, but I do hope those other 2 bugs get fixed sooner or later, being:

-Sometimes your client doesn't detect when another client joins the server, and you end up syncfailing into oblivion. (THE GAME BREAKER)

-Dropping chat lines on your side and/or chat lines not getting through to the other clients. (THE FRUSTRATINATOR)

Apparently 2.1.9 won't compile in Linux (32 and 64 bit) unless NOPNG=1 is set.

Code:
In file included from /usr/include/libpng12/png.h:536:0,
                 from hardware/hw_draw.c:704:
/usr/include/zlib.h:1673:5: error: unknown type name ‘off64_t’
     z_off64_t pos;

2.1.8 does not require NOPNG=1 to build successfully.

I managed to work around the issue by adding the line #define off64_t off_t to the top of doomdef.h, which can't possibly be a proper solution. Only then did I realize that opengl no longer works due to the switch to SDL2. Renaming src/sdl to src/sdl2 and src/sdl12 to src/sdl got SRB2 to build with working opengl, and fixed the off64_t issues. Which means, whatever is causing the build issues I'm having is somewhere within SRB2's sdl2-specific code. Also, that can't be the right way to switch to sdl12. Unfortunately I don't have the time to look into any of these matters any further, and won't until the next week.

Apparently 2.1.9 won't compile in Linux (32 and 64 bit) unless NOPNG=1 is set.

Code:
In file included from /usr/include/libpng12/png.h:536:0,
                 from hardware/hw_draw.c:704:
/usr/include/zlib.h:1673:5: error: unknown type name ‘off64_t’
     z_off64_t pos;

2.1.8 does not require NOPNG=1 to build successfully.

This is a bug in SDL2. Try this.

CFLAGS="-D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE" make -C src/ LINUX64=1

If you want to compile for the sdl 1.2 interface, grep for INTERFACE=sdl and change it to INTERFACE=sdl12, and include sdl/Makefile.cfg replace with include sdl12/Makefile.cfg.

Version 2.1.10 Patch

Posted by Inuyasha on 08-05-2014 11:23 PM.

We said 2.1.10 was the next version to be released and we weren’t kidding around. Though this patch may not look like it contains much, it makes modifications (especially Lua-based ones) much less prone to breaking in unusual and frustrating ways.

• Longstanding issues with Lua’s stability have been fixed.
    • Lua can tolerate large scripts much better.
    • Lua can handle multiple separate scripts running at the same time much better than before; you should no longer have to fiddle around with adding WAD files in different orders to make the game stable.
    • The game no longer crashes if scripts are added via the command line (-file) that replace commands normally present in the game.
  • The game no longer crashes if you try to host your own server after failing to join someone else’s server due to not being able to download WAD files.
  • The game no longer crashes at the end of the last special stage, and the shrink ray section now works again.
  • A few minor level design fixes.

View on SRB2.org

I notice that Flooded Cove (DSZS) got a big makeover in the new update. Were there any other significant level improvements made?

No other levels had changes aside from bugfixes and ERZ3's race/competition support. Flooded Cove just got a redecoration in because we happened to have it ready when we were wrapping up patch.dta for 2.1.9.

Didn't think that there would be a patch before 2.2(or 2.10), it's nice to see a netplay fix and more lua options. Thanks for adding the waterrun flag back, this will be very useful.

Are there any news on the lua bugs(srb2 crashed if too much was added or in a special order).

Didn't think that there would be a patch before 2.2(or 2.10), it's nice to see a netplay fix and more lua options. Thanks for adding the waterrun flag back, this will be very useful.

Are there any news on the lua bugs(srb2 crashed if too much was added or in a special order).

The netcode is still a bit buggy. The next update will be 2.1.11 most likely. After 2.1.11 is released the netcode should be fully fixed. There is still 2 annoying netcode bugs in 2.1.10. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not going to mention 2.2 as that version hasn't even began development.

Last edited:
Let's just say from what I've heard in #srb2fun that it's entirely possible SRB2 2.2 could ship without any netcode fixes at all. Whatever happens, netcode fixes will be released as soon as they've been tested- which is unlikely to be simultaneous with a long-planned major version release.

Let's just say from what I've heard in #srb2fun that it's entirely possible SRB2 2.2 could ship without any netcode fixes at all. Whatever happens, netcode fixes will be released as soon as they've been tested- which is unlikely to be simultaneous with a long-planned major version release.

I agree about it being unlikely. I would be kinda shocked if they didn't fix the netcode before releasing SRB2 2.2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back