• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Dash's World: Moving to releases/massive update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalaron

Dash's World is a mod I've been working on for some time now.
I think I've put a lot of neat little changes and additions in here, so I hope you like them.
Comments, suggestions, and criticism are always welcome.

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/2141/shot0008yx5.png
shot0009zw2.png

A grassy, windy, almost dream like garden high in the mountains. Uses day to night feature

picture1bk5.png

shot0015dg7.png

The Single Player part of Dash's Space HQ

The project has taken a totally new direction since it was started, some parts of this topic are now irrelevant to the new project.

-------------------------------------
What's in development?:
WAD content
Making the camera rotate a zoom across a level before the player starts
Making a complete thing based flight system
Movable cursor (blinking line)for the console and chatting.
Checkfile - check to see if a file is loadable or has any errors/warnings
Change the cursor to an upright line instead of an underscore
-------------------------

It should be noted that this uses a few snippets of Shufrb2's source, this is used with permission.

-----------------------------------------------------

This is designed to be used with existing add-ons, and has a slew of new and imported features. There are early copies of levels included, but remember, these levels are still being worked on and are incomplete.

All levels have a thok barrier

Download:

Dash's World Readme: This contains the credits

http://www.mediafire.com/?ytgaymymvw1

Source Code

http://www.mediafire.com/?nmnwmgdzvgm

Note: Source updated to compile without errors, doesn't match the exe right now

Win32: Version for Windows 95 and up I think

http://www.mediafire.com/?ydmwei2mmto

Mac Version: For Mac OS X Tiger and up(Old)

http://www.mediafire.com/?xmsu06bx9yj

Non-Level .data file:

http://www.mediafire.com/?m7fmx2focet
You can replace your DashW.data file with this if you'd rather play without level tests. Make sure you keep both .data files though.

Info on every new feature shortly, please list any bugs you find.

-----------------------------------------

Setup:

Setup for Windows:
Copy srb2.srb from your main SRB2 folder (Not 1.1) into the folder extracted from the zip

Setup for Mac:

There's two ways to do this:

1)
Make a new folder in the directory of whereever you have the game
Copy srb2.srb and music.dta from your main SRB2 folder (Not 1.1) into the new folder

2)
Copy music.dta and srb2.srb into the apps resources, to do this:
Ctrl-click on the App
Choose "Show Package Contents" from the popup list
Go into Contents->Resources

--------------------------------------
Version 0.2 Stuff:

limitdraw - makes the game limit itself to drawing a certain number of sprites at a time,
this is useful if you're in a level with a lot of sprites, or if your computer can't handle
calculating too many things on screen at a time

falljump - turns the fall after jumping animation off

tempanalog - this is a variable the game uses to switch analog control on and off as it needs to,
if you want to change whether analog is the default control, use the "analog" console variable,
there's no need to touch this variable

Add 32 to a level type to make it a speed zone, a speed zone is a map type that allows the player
to go faster than normal and allows them to use a new move called spin-skid
A spin skid is a simple move that allows the player to make sharp turns at high speeds.
While running and going into a spin on the ground, turn to the new direction you want move and press
the light dash button to run forward with a little more momentum.

freefly - a new type of nights option, this allows the player to fly around a nights level freely
with no time limit or egg capsule, this was made to allow new gameplay options like a level that's
part singleplayer and platforming with gimmicks based around flying. Since you have no limit, you can press the spindash button to stop flying at any time.
The HUD is also the same as normal.

The "tunes" command can now change the speed of the music

daytonight - a feature based off of shuffrb2's code, the sky, fog, darkness, and music of a level can
change according to your computer's time, like shuffrb2, you can add daytonight = 1 to a map header.
Additionally, you can add daymusic, sunsetmusic, and nightmusic to the header. These variables allow you
to adjust the speed of music according to the time.

Sector Types:

430: Go super no matter how many emeralds you have

511: No dig sector, if you try to dig on this sector you'll here a clank sound

514: Disables your character's ability

500-510: Trampoline

The sector springs you up like a trampoline. 500 is the weakest bounce, 510 is the strongest

513: Like a regular Current/Wind sector, but puts you into your pain animation,
like you're on a slide

Other changes:

The camera is farther by default
Trilinear is the default OpenGL filter
GR_MD2 is a saveable variable
In the menu, you can go to multiplayer->network options and can change the map or gametype in a netgame

More Feature Info(Incomplete):

Key:
Original: I coded this myself
SVN: An online system of files with SRB2 source code
Extension: This feature was someone else's, but I added to it
Reworked: Changed someone else code to do some thing different
Recoded: Took someone else's code and completely changed it
Addition: Some thing completely new, a feature you won't find anywhere else

Switch from 3D to 2D
Source: Now original code
Kind of Feature: Extension/New

This isn't really a brand new feature, this effect was done in the SRB2Riders mod, and was shown in the 1.1 preview video. I recoded this feature to act a lot more like the original 2D Mode and now can effect other objects.

Give the sector where you want the effect to start a type of 432(Anywhere in sector) or 434(Floor Touch) the player does not need to constantly be in a sector with a type of 432 or 434 for the player to stay in 2D mode. The player will continue to travel from left to right when viewed from overhead on a map with the camera facing upwards while in 2D mode unless a disable 2D mode sector 433(Anywhere in sector) or 435(Floor Touch) is touched.

Notes: Only the player moves in 2D, enemy AI's for 2D mode have not yet been coded.
If you do not restrict the player( As in making them enter through a small hole or teleport so they can only move in 2D mode on one path)
make sure the player can complete the part of the level or switch back to 3D no matter which plane they are in.

-------------------------------------------

Day to Night:
Source: Shufflrb2 SVN merge
Kind of Feature: Extension

Like Shuffrb2, you can put daytonight = 1 in a map header to enable the day to night function.
The addition to timeofday is that the fog dynamically changes, such as fog being thicker and darker during the night
and an orange tint during sunset. The next version of the mod wil feature the option to change the pitch and speed of a map's music depending on the time of day.

--------------------------------------------

Trampoline/AntiGrav Effect
Source: Original
Kind of Feature: Addition

A simple new effect, this makes the player suddenly move straight up when touching a floor with a type of 500-511. 500 is the weakest, 511 is the strongest.

--------------------------------------------

Twilight Mode:
Source: Original
Kind of Feature: Addition

A new mode in progress, all it does right now is turn the game grayscale and give the player a multicolored
shadow. This is to be extended in the future, you can enable this by typing: "twilight on" in the console.

-------------------------------------------------

Slopes:
Source: In the original source code
Kind of Feature: A simple test

No proper way to set this up, try experimenting with slope.wad.
A proper setup method may be done in the future.

----------------------------------------------

Digging:
Source: SVN Shuffrb2
Kind of Feature: Recoded

A character with a line of "digging = 1" in their character skin setup can dig while jumping in the air and pressing lightdash.
While underground, the player is invunurable to damage(Unless in match, tag, or CTF) the player must come up for air after a certain period of time. When you
jump out of the ground after digging you must land on the ground and junmp to dig again, this is to prevent players from repeatedly going underground.
When you jump out of the ground you are vunaruable to damage, as soon as you land you can jump normally again.

-------------------------------------------

Test Files:

Trampoline test:
http://www.mediafire.com/?olmnjjxz1x9

Slide test:(old)
http://www.mediafire.com/?hsnydpx9tty

Slope test:
http://www.mediafire.com/?bnaynjmpjnc

2D test:
http://www.mediafire.com/?yk3m9yyls2n

More tests soon...

Hm... Well, this is the first time that I commented in a mod a whole ago.

Personally, I seem to like the gems HUD as far as the screenshots go.

Anyone can say they're gonna make "teh awsumust mod evah!", but I seriously expect this to be canned before it's done.

Good luck though, I do like what's done so far.

Well thanks, but I actually do have alot of it done, I started this about a month ago and I am going to release it, the only problem I face is uploading it.

Those grass sprites aren't very attractive. Otherwise, there's not enough content in those screens for me to make a proper judgement, but there's more to your layouts than flat planes without thok barriers, so you're on the right track.

It's not quite finished yet and I'm still uploading more screenshots, I'll keep this page up to date evey day.

Both, I'm adding many, many new textures and I'm replacing some old ones with a better looking or more realistic texture.

Old Texture:
GW644H160.png

New Texture:
GW512H512.png

The new texture doesn't seem like it, but it actually does fit into SRB2's pallet and reapeats smoothly.

I'm using this image as a standard size, the quality looks worse when it is actually used in SRB2, but it actually seems less blocky than I expected.

In the first image, it looks like the texture I had made from scratch (it took a very long while) was being used for the walls. I really hope that isn't what you're using, because it looks extremely similar to mine, and I actually had to make it, so, clarification please. Please post the texture here so that I may compare it to mine, because I'm starting to get suspicious.

I know it's just a texture, but no one likes it when anything of theirs gets stolen right? Especially when they, themselves, made it.

Edit: Nevermind. I just get paranoid like that sometimes. Go figure.

This actually looks pretty good. But there are a few things I don't like:
1. Topic title needs a 56k warning x.x
2. PLEASE don't add a character. Even if it is made from scratch.
3. The gems look like they're based it on SMS' style, bad move.
4. Yeah, a large corona for the Liquid Shield is nice in OpenGL mode, but totally useless in Software.
5. Grass things need to be greener.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back