• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Jay's Miscellaneous Makings

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's... pretty contradictory or whatever it's called. I'd prefer not setting a time limit gives no time limit. (Also, it may be worth making the console command act as a "cheat", as in "modify the game" so emblems/unlockables and such can't be gotten. Edit: If that's possible with Lua, that is.)

If you set the level header option to 0 or -1, there won't be a time limit. However, any value above 0 is accepted, and overrides the default. As for the console command, I thought of that, but I actually have no clue if Lua can make console commands "cheats" or not.

Speaking of the console, would it be possible to have an "always-run" console variable? Wouldn't act as a cheat. I'd just prefer not holding B to run, up-arrow to move forwards, and pressing Z to jump. It hurts a bit to do so. And my computer can't handle Z (jump), X (spin) and up-arrow (forward) at the same time, so... eh. If I were to use a controller, I'd also prefer not holding left D-Pad button to run while also using the left stick to move. (I have Custom 1 bound to left D-Pad key on DualShock 3's/4's.) I wouldn't like to have to change my key mappings just for a mod. Of course, this suggestion can be ignored, it's nothing major.

This isn't a minor suggestion at all (in fact it's very important). I want my mod to be easily playable, and if it's hard for people to play it, then something needs to be done. I never really took into account how hard it'd be to play it at first, because I had a five-button mouse and Custom 1 was mapped to one one of my thumb buttons (easily accessible and didn't get in the way of anything). This was kind of a bad way to make it, because not everyone has access to that, and so I tried to think of alternative methods. Thing is, while I don't want to just outright remove it, I just can't really seem to figure out what to do with it.

So please, everyone, while I'm getting the next version ready, play it and give feedback (download link to v4 here). The next version will feature spin as an alternative control method.

Last edited:
If you set the level header option to 0 or -1, there won't be a time limit. However, any value above 0 is accepted, and overrides the default.
Well, okey dokey lokey, then.

As for the console command, I thought of that, but I actually have no clue if Lua can make console commands "cheats" or not.
Currently, according to the Wiki, Lua can't mark commands nor variables as cheats. I've suggested in the suggestions topic to make it so if the console command/variable "hook" returns true, it's marked as a cheat, similarly to player-special-/MobjCollide-hooks overriding default behaviour.
You can KIND of do that right now by making it set devmode, that's what I did for one of my cheats. I think devmode 0 sets cheats on without actually using any of the devmodes.
I can confirm "devmode 0" sets cheats on. So, will the line COM_BufInsertText(player,"devmode 0") work in the hooks of the cheat things? (Didn't test.)

This isn't a minor suggestion at all (in fact it's very important). I want my mod to be easily playable, and if it's hard for people to play it, then something needs to be done. I never really took into account how hard it'd be to play it at first, because I had a five-button mouse and Custom 1 was mapped to one one of my thumb buttons (easily accessible and didn't get in the way of anything). This was kind of a bad way to make it, because not everyone has access to that, and so I tried to think of alternative methods. Thing is, while I don't want to just outright remove it, I just can't really seem to figure out what to do with it.
In that case, I would highly suggest making a marioalwaysrun variable or something. (I don't even use my only-3-button-mouse for non-RingSlinger-gametypes, heh.)

So please, everyone, while I'm getting the next version ready, play it and give feedback (download link to v4 here). The next version will feature spin as an alternative control method.
Aw, I thought this was gonna feature more stuff, but it turns out I already had version 4 of it. By "alternative", do you mean "separate Wad", "instead of Custom 1", or "both Custom 1 and Spin"? Of those, I'd prefer the third one.

Last edited:
Current HUD
srb20019.gif

As of now, the life icon (which is just the end sign portrait) does not change color, and does not support custom characters. Hopefully a future update will give Lua the ability to change color/skin of HUD objects. I also need to add the red coin counter, and some other things.

These coins aren't rings, either -- they don't protect you from death. However, collecting 100 will still give you an extra life.

Well, okey dokey lokey, then.

I can confirm "devmode 0" sets cheats on. So, will the line COM_BufInsertText(player,"devmode 0") work in the hooks of the cheat things? (Didn't test.)

I might try that. Thanks!

Aw, I thought this was gonna feature more stuff, but it turns out I already had version 4 of it. By "alternative", do you mean "separate Wad", "instead of Custom 1", or "both Custom 1 and Spin"? Of those, I'd prefer the third one.

Custom 1 and spin will both be sprint buttons.

Last edited:
Current HUD -Image-
As of now, the life icon (which is just the end sign portrait) does not change color, and does not support custom characters. Hopefully a future update will give Lua the ability to change color/skin of HUD objects. I also need to add the red coin counter, and some other things.
Personally I think the life icon is a bit too far to the right (but it's to compensate for wide icons, I know), and the coin icon is pretty far to the right in my opinion, but it's nothing major at all for me. Oh, and don't forget split-screen support, just in case you forgot about it.

You're welcome, though I can't guarantee it'll work just like that. You might also want to make a check for modifiedgame first (or more specifically not modifiedgame), since it would be weird to have devmode 1-7 active, and then have it turn to 0 due to using a cheat command, if you know what I mean?

Alrighty then.

Current HUD
srb20019.gif

These coins aren't rings, either -- they don't protect you from death. However, collecting 100 will still give you an extra life.

I would think about changing the life icon to something else, a lot of custom characters use a complete signpost sprite to have custom color for that, which would be very glitchy here.

Did you change the Fireballs so that you fire them with a different button or is it still the ring toss button ?(If it's that, then please make that a run button too so it's like in the original games).

It wouldn't be glitchy, it would only stand out. Besides, I don't remember any character that had a complete signpost sprite. So far the ones I've seen only had the character's face.

So, an explanation is due: I got a virus on my laptop around New Year's, and formatted my laptop, since there were also various other things like custom skins installed and stuff. However, I forgot to back up all of my Mario stuff, and, well, I lost most of it. I can't promise I'll pick it back up, but there's always a possibility. Seeing as I haven't worked on any of it in the past six months, I decided to change the title of the thread to something less specific.

Anyways, having seen HellHawkX's project, I decided it'd be fitting to reveal mine. It's a shooter, too!

PinkInsignificantCoati.gif

http://gfycat.com/ImmenseMetallicGorilla
http://gfycat.com/LeadingCarefulAvians

Pre-order and purchase the season pass! While initially a mere product of my boredom, this has grown in an effort to expand my knowledge of Lua. Not sure if I'll release it.

Last edited:
...You didn't back any of it up? You never shared the files with ANYONE? Please tell me there's somebody else out there you shared Peach's Castle with, at least!

UUUUuuugh that really, really sucks, I liked your Mario stuff so much. Please take better care to keep your stuff safe in the future.

I don't even know if it is do-able, but making the camera zoom when you scope with the sniper would be a good idea. Also make viewsprites pls =3 And this time, save all of this on an USB device or something, the loss of a potential proper Mario mode is already painful for us (And even more for you), but losing SRB Fortress 2 Global Offensive Of Duty has to not happen, or the earth will potentially explode and transform into cookies.

I don't even know if it is do-able, but making the camera zoom when you scope with the sniper would be a good idea. Also make viewsprites pls =3 And this time, save all of this on an USB device or something, the loss of a potential proper Mario mode is already painful for us (And even more for you), but losing SRB Fortress 2 Global Offensive Of Duty has to not happen, or the earth will potentially explode and transform into cookies.

Unfortunately, camera zooming seems impossible, unless I went with a control object that's positioned based on player.aiming - even so, anything between that and the player just wouldn't show, and player.aiming doesn't allow for precise, minute movements and stuff. However, yeah, I'm definitely backing things up now.

Viewsprites would prove a daunting task. I'd love to do them all, but I don't wanna go in over my head and end up coming short due to laziness. We'll see.

Also, if I have time, I will remake Peach's Castle. It does suck that I lost it, but it was a small map anyways - remaking the textures would be the only tedious part.

EDIT: I have an older version of my Mario script, thanks to Dropbox! However, instead of the then-new-and-shiny v6, it's v4. Sadly, v4 doesn't have the HUD, coins, and stuff.

Last edited:
Perhaps increasing the FOV would work? that creates a pseudo-zoom, and causes a similar kind of distortion found from a scope lens.

>not sniping someone from half the map away in software 640x400 when they're no more than a pixel on your screen

tumblr_inline_nbx4p95kiv1snb4zo.jpg

czhfIe3.png

Having learned how to use tables, I've been able to both preserve my sanity and improve my code. It's not a change you would notice in-game, but definitely a change I notice when I have to edit it now. If you were to open up the version of the WAD from yesterday, you'd see that the reloading code, firing code, and basically everything related to guns was written twice. Once for the primary weapon, and once for the secondary weapon. Now, it's all one block of code that's so much better. I can get the current gun's stats easier. For example, checking the name is done with currentgun.name instead of "if player.mo.currentgun == gun1 then player.mo.gun1name", and so on.

This also allowed me to implement per-weapon movement speed, per-weapon movement spread factors, headshot damage multipliers, and more.

Medals are also easy:
Code:
medal_mymedal = {graphic = "MEDALXX", name = "My Medal"}

Anyways, this is pretty much it for right now - fixing my code so it's better on both ends: the player's and mine.

As I don't want to post solely for the purpose of me bragging about having code that isn't as bad anymore, I must ask: how should attachments work? If you don't know what an attachment does, it alters the weapon stats in some way, from reload speed to damage, range, accuracy, and so on. Should they be awarded by getting kills, or should they spawn in the map using emerald spawn points?

Last edited:
Definetly emerald spawn points.Just rewarding the player for getting killing sprees is like sealing the joiners's fate in a server.
You can also give them to "in distress" players using the game's pity mechanic, perhaps?

ShamefulAccomplishedIguana.gif

Experimented with vertical recoil.

Sonic is the only character with a full-auto weapon, and it needed a nerf. I don't know if I will add vertical recoil to semi-auto weapons, but the sniper rifle will receive a variation of it.

I added manual reloading, and reloading can now be cancelled by switching weapons. Oh, and I added a knife for when a player runs completely out of ammo. It's a one-hit kill, but it only works about a player's length away or less.

EDIT:
SillyArtisticEuropeanfiresalamander.gif

It actually feels like it's powerful now. Still don't exactly know how to change the FOV. What I've tried doesn't work.

Last edited:
Still don't exactly know how to change the FOV. What I've tried doesn't work.
This is what I did in SkyLua's scope command (minor alterations in here from what's actually in SkyLua):
Code:
    -- Scope function
        if (player.cmd.buttons & BT_CUSTOM3)
            player.fovadd = -fovvalue*FRACUNIT // Modify the field of view. This must be applied constantly, or the game will snap back to the normal FOV. fovvalue needs to be lower than 90 to make a pseudo zoom effect.
        end
Note that it's a negative value because this doesn't set the FOV; it adds onto the FOV, so to get lower than 90 (default) FOV, it needs to be a negative value. See SkyLua if you need a 100% working example along with console adjustment to the scope.

ZypPDV6.png

Sky, you're awesome.

Needs a bit of tweaking, but it should be fine afterward. Only thing is, this gives OpenGL users a huge advantage over Software users, which is why I'm reluctant to add it. Either way, it's definitely awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back