Although it's probably a outdated 17-year old question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chimes

the typo fixer
...what does the Spindash Release actually do in the last version of SRB2 Christmas?
unknown.png

I've tried to use it to literally release the Spindash, and I tried to use it as a way to slow down the spindash, and I tried to even use it while jumping, and it seems to have no function whatsoever.
Was this a dummied out function where the Spindash presumably was planned to work differently (you press the button and it charges, then you turn to aim and then you release it by pressing the release button), or does the Spindash Release actually do something, but I haven't found a function that does anything with it that affects Sonic?
It's a old version of SRB2 Christmas, but I couldn't find anything in the official .TXT or the SRB2 Wiki about this possibly useless function.

Incredible how someone still playing something from 2000...
Anyway, i don't think it will work because, most old versions were more DooM-like than 1.0.X, which means, it doesn't had normal Sonic controls...
I also, remember myself playing lastest version of SRB2 Xmas and i could spindash, this maybe is just the wrong control, did you even tried "rolling?"
But, what were you trying to do in SRB2 Xmas??!

Last edited:
different interest, Just because it's old doesn't mean one shouldn't try it.
But, i'm still thinking what the heck someone would do in SRB2 Xmas...
Adding DooM Legacy WADs? Anyway, if it works it would be really funny...
The unique thing to do there out of that, is searching SRB2 timeline.

But, what were you trying to do in SRB2 Xmas??!

I was gonna marathon through all the known found old versions of SRB2 to see how different it was, but SRB2 Xmas was actually the one that stood out the most after the TGF and Halloween iterations. After all, SRB2's almost turning 20 years old!

I also, remember myself playing lastest version of SRB2 Xmas and i could spindash, this maybe is just the wrong control, did you even tried "rolling?"
I did exactly that, no result.

Last edited:
Well, choices.

---------- Post added at 10:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 AM ----------

I was gonna marathon through all the known found old versions of SRB2 to see how different it was, but SRB2 Xmas was actually the one after the TGF and Halloween iterations. After all, SRB2's almost turning 20 years old!
Oh, sorry i didn't know that, i thought you already have seem SRB2 past versions.

To answer the original question, I looked in the source code for SRB2 Christmas itself for answers. It seems that "Spindash release" was apparently intended to be a replacement of Doom Legacy's "Fire" button with ...something to do with spindash at least (I can't really tell, maybe it was never fully implemented), but the only relevant code I can find for making it do anything spindash-related seems to be disabled.

So yeah I guess whatever it was was dummied out in SRB2 Christmas, and presumably abandoned/reverted in later versions, considering we still have a fire button in SRB2 today (two even, lol).

Maybe SSNTails can clear up what the actual plan for this button was...?

Last edited:
Well, that somewhat answers my question.
Another thing is that it's mapped to CTRL, which funnily enough, is where the fire button in Doom is mapped!
DoomControls10.png

And in Sonic Doom IIRC, when you shoot a weapon Sonic spindashes as a animation.

I actually want something like this to happen, make it like an SRB2 challenge or something.

I actually added DOOM2.wad into Demo 2 IIRC, and literally the sky was red, all of the textures were turned into either nothing or blood/stone, and the Crawlas were Zombies.

Hell on Mobius.

---------- Post added at 09:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 AM ----------

I played Demo 1, and the former "Spindash Release" is now "Unused Key".
That sort of answers my questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back