Quick question for anyone who wants to answer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used OpenGL all the time since I started playing SRB2 with v1.09.4.

I can't stand the shaky camera of software mode, and Nearest Mipmap is amazing.

I pretty much only use the hardware renderer (OpenGL). In fact, the only times in the many past years I've used the software renderer in SRB2 has been when slopes were in development without OpenGL compatibility and when "paper sprites" were in development without OpenGL compatibility. (By "in development", I mean I downloaded some source code from GitLab and compiled it myself, before it was/is officially released in a compiled SRB2, like version 2.1.15 (slopes) or 2.2 (paper sprites, presumably).)

The primary reason I use OpenGL is because I can't stand the 256-colour limit. I'm okay with textures and such being restricted to a 256-colour palette, but having the renderer be restricted to a 256-colour palette too just looks bad to me when colourmaps, darkness, or any sort of colour tinting is involved.

I'm perfectly aware that there are people (including some/most/all(?) of SRB2's developers) who like that look and find it stylistic, but I just personally don't like it.

Your opinion isn't like mine so that immediately makes it wrong.

All jokes aside some of the colors do look horrible, specifically yellow. 2.2 and it's pallette couldn't come sooner.

I don't, OpenGL mode for some reason looks less colorful compared to Software, especially COLORMAPs, they don't look as good as in Software mode.

I don't... well not anymore;
Back at 2015 I posted a thread asking how Open GL works, I got it to work via the thread and I just found it bad. I just don't like how if you're over a thing, you can't see it.

OpenGL's my renderer of choice. Considering I play an extensive amount of first-person games, it's really difficult to play with such a weird sense of depth in software mode. Even though software's typically always been viewed as the "safer" and "accurate" option.

I don't, my computer seems to suck at running OpenGL unless it's 320x200 windowed. Any bigger and the framerate goes way down. =V

That and I'm not really bothered with Software's look in general anyway.

I rather enjoy Software's look, thanks to stuff such as the signature Doom light fade out, and as a mapper and texture artist it's a lot more fun experimenting and looking at palette effects and colormaps than always truecolor and lame looking fog (see: Groggy Gale).

Though, I gotta admit that perspective correction's such a nice boon, and I'll often use it when I connect to a Match/CTF server (in those modes colormaps just make it harder to play anyhow, though really that's the map's fault; please stop colormapping match/ctf maps :U). My ideal renderer would be OpenGL with a palette shader, like GZDoom has gotten recently.

Last edited:
Never like to use opengl, its way to painful for my Pc.

I do use it for testing but other than that, nope. Software all the way.

I like OpenGL's lack of palette limitations, superior performance (on my comp), and actually correct perspective. I use it as my default renderer and refuse to touch any addons that don't support it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back