2.2 Preview - With Slopes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
srb20032.png

Can I recommend you about good enemies to Doomship Zone?

First:

ElectroBuzz
FLYBA1.png

Health Points: 1
Attack: Sparkle Shot
Type: Enemy

Second:

Crawler
SPIPA1.png

Health Points: 5
Attack: Gaining spike balls and dashing

And the final:

Turret Mobile
CRXYA1.png

Health Points: 15
Attack: Throwing 2 big spike balls
Rage Attack: Gaining 1 mini spike ball each time and dashing
Type: Boss/Midboss
There all work in progress!

There seems to be a lot of misinformation in here about framerates. It sounds like a lot of people are thinking that you'd double the internal gamelogic to run at 70Hz or something. I know I've seen the idea floated about, but personally, the better approach would be to keep that ticking at 35Hz, and instead decouple the renderer calls from the gamelogic. That way, the renderer would pump out as many frames as your monitor can support (whether it's a bog-standard 60Hz monitor or a high-end 165Hz monitor), with an option to cap the framerate back to 35Hz for people who prefer it the old way.

Think of ZDoom, or PRBoom, or similar Doom source ports. They don't magically run twice as fast when the framerate is uncapped, because the internal logic is still running at 35Hz; they just linear-interpolate ("lerp") the positioning of things or sector heights in-between tics, resulting in a smoother feel. PRBoom, in particular, can produce and play back demos that are 100% compatible with the original vanilla EXE, even though that renderer is permanently capped at 35FPS.

Though, I should probably note here that I haven't really paid attention to 2.2's development, nor have I been a particularly active participant on the dev team in over a year. I'm not sure this feature is actually in 2.2 (and I'd advise assuming it's not, until somebody else says it is). I'm mostly basing these comments on the public demos Furyhunter put out a few years ago. IIRC it broke the netcode (because of course it did), which is why I'm skeptical about its inclusion officially.

And there's a reason none of said source ports turn it on by default; it adds control lag to even single player, and can cause nausea in people. (Case in point: I cannot play with interpolation on. I tried it when furyhunter attempted to do this.)

That doesn't make it any better, but TIL.

Also, interpolation doesn't work for everything, so no matter how smooth you want to make the game run, there will always be something displaying at that proper 35 frames per second, and that discrepancy is jarring.

(Linear interpolation is also bad at capturing non-linear moment -- curves and such)

Last edited:
I'm just gonna say I don't mind the game running at 35 frames per second. I'd prefer the levels and gameplay being worked on over 60-FPS support.

Can I recommend you about good enemies to Doomship Zone?

First:

ElectroBuzz
FLYBA1.png

Health Points: 1
Attack: Sparkle Shot

Second:

Crawler
SPIPA1.png

Health Points: 5
Attack: Gaining spike balls and dashing

And the final:

Turret Mobile
CRXYA1.png

Health Points: 15
Attack: Throwing 2 big spike balls
Rage Attack: Gaining 1 mini spike ball each time and dashing
Type: Boss/Midboss
There all work in progress!
Someone likes the idea?

We haven't taken enemy ideas from the community for a while, sorry. It's good that you're being creative, but your creativity doesn't have to be directed towards the main game for it to be valid.

That said, some honest criticism: There are very few enemies in SRB2 which are recolours of each-other, the exceptions being the Crawla (the red one isn't used in the main game any more), the Buzz (both of which are only used in THZ) and the Jetty Syn (intended to be AGZ exclusive, but used in ERZ once as well). We're not going to add another type of badnik that looks the same as another in an entirely seperate zone.

Also, 15 hit points is almost as much as Brak Eggman, that's excessive for a non-final boss. 8 is our general upper limit for bosses.

Last edited:
if the Jetty Syn is intended for an unlockable level, is there any plans to update the opening sequence to replace them?

As it is, their presence in the intro doesn't make a lick of sense anyways. Chalk it up as one of those things which we'll deal with eventually because it looks stupid but don't really super care about to upheave everything right this moment.

Also, 15 hit points is almost as much as Brak Eggman, that's excessive for a non-final boss. 8 is our general upper limit for bosses.

Actually, Brak takes 12 hits, so a 15-hit boss might be even tougher than him, and thus even less appropriate for Grand Eggship.

As it is, their presence in the intro doesn't make a lick of sense anyways. Chalk it up as one of those things which we'll deal with eventually because it looks stupid but don't really super care about to upheave everything right this moment.
Well in my opinion they can make sense as being some of Eggman's elite robots and hence why in normal game play, they currently only appear with him in the intro and in Egg Rock. I don't know if Egg rock will recieve new robots, but I think the Jetty-syns should at least stay around in that zone.

Choalover, custom maps may be laggier for you because they push the boundaries with Lua scripts that aren't super optimised, possibly. If you give some examples, we could try to see what the problem is instead of relying off guesswork. Alternatively, it's a possibility that your computer doesn't like the SDL video output. Have you compared the lag levels of the Direct3D version of 2.1.14 to the SDL version?

Glaber, fair point. They do make a good enemy for that single usage, anyways.

I haven't played SRB2 or even been active on these forums for quite a while, but I just want to say keep on keeping on. I dunno if people pestering you guys about release dates is still an issue, but personally, I'm not that impatient.

If it isn't obvious already, these guys aren't game-making machines, and have their own things to deal with. Just work at your own pace. It's not like SRB2 is the only thing that we can enjoy in life. :P

P.S. - Can you guys bring back the old Special Stage music? Tunes 50 I think it was? It's very nostalgic to me.

P.S. - Can you guys bring back the old Special Stage music? Tunes 50 I think it was? It's very nostalgic to me.

If you mean as a music choice for custom maps ...pretty sure it's still there.

If you mean as the music for the special stages... have you played them recently? They're totally different to the old ones from 2.0 and earlier now, if you weren't aware. I don't think the old theme would fit most of them now anyway tbh.

Because ACZ and RVZ were made first and with the first incomplete acts, so, they are focusing on ACZ and RVZ first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back