SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Editing

Old 08-09-2015   #461
Doctor Clockwork
Older than SRB2's dev cycle

This looks amazing. I love what I see so far and now I cannot contain myself. Keep up the good work guys.
Doctor Clockwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016   #462
Iceman404
Tyler52 Forever

Heya

So, I'll just be honest to not get anyone's hopes up. Interest internally in this mod hit ground zero like a year ago and stuff hardly gets touched about every 4 months or so. Initially at the start of this thread, progress was absolutely explosive and almost unreasonably fast, as well as exciting. We set multiple deadlines over n' over but never met them because of life, games, laziness, and just lack of interest in general (college too). After seeing the same thing so much, personally, you just get bored; y'know?

I personally haven't been around SRB2 in general in 6 months (because of some eye-opening experiences oooooo), I have almost no idea what goes on with the main game itself anymore, even... which isn't good because I do the mod's management, direction, and extra art here n' there. Its a shame all the scrappy WIP files're sitting around in our group dropbox though, and we're actually kinda 'close' to what we wanted now, so we're gonna do what we can to see if we can get something done over the next while.

I bring this up so no one gets their hopes up for anything big after all this lost time- well, if anyone kept up with this still anyway considering how dead it is. Though... I think I've said this before anyways? Who knows- There was a point a long time ago where I distinctively stopped cracking jokes with others about how the vanilla game takes forever to update, its because I don't wanna be a hypocrite after realizing how this can get after a while; and sheesh I don't even do the hard stuff... I'd thank Sryder, Chromatian, n' CoatRack for that

tl;dr, slow but not dead. Expect something soon-ish 2016, but nothing mind blowing or big. It's just a small mod with levels like any other mod here, just happened to have more people on board

personally i don't even know if we'll continue after release on this thing but we'll see

Old 01-02-2016   #463
RomioTheBadass
PK3 Fetishist

Well at least release a test demo (Call it a beta) if you don't mind :) .
Old 01-02-2016   #464
Rumia1
Backseat Developer

While it is slightly disappointing to hear, it's also understandable. Life goes on and you just don't get the time to do things like you could.

And yes, a demo would be nice, or at least if development comes to a complete halt, a release of what's been made. I'd honestly like something rather than absolutely nothing.
Rumia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016   #465
toaster
トースタちゃん

Good luck. If there's anything I can do to try and help kick this out the door, let me know; I owe several of you on the team for one reason or another and I like seeing cool new stuff.
Old 01-02-2016   #466
Jeck Jims
Oh, THAT guy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomioTheBadass View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumia1 View Post
While it is slightly disappointing to hear, it's also understandable. Life goes on and you just don't get the time to do things like you could.

And yes, a demo would be nice, or at least if development comes to a complete halt, a release of what's been made. I'd honestly like something rather than absolutely nothing.

While this is true to an extent, SRB2TD can easily be extended by user-made content. So, if there is interest from the Message Board to create levels, the core gameplay is pretty much there for it. What's done thus far also takes a few hours to complete.

Last edited by Jeck Jims; 01-02-2016 at 04:01 PM.
Jeck Jims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016   #467
Wolfy
wolfs
Developer

Default Don't you worry; You'll be told exactly what to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomioTheBadass View Post
Two weeks late, but yes, a demo has been our intention the whole time. Though we don't intend to release a beta in the slightest. Release gets delayed so often because we take the time to make sure everything comes out polished for release. Most of TD development is spent on testing to make sure everything works properly and content is designed well enough. Trust me, we're as eager to get this out the door as everyone is to play it, but we can't avoid getting caught up in problems that require more attention.

I appreciate the patience you guys have had up until now, and I hope we can get this thing out the door ASAP. TD has been in dev limbo for far too long now.

And I'll say this right now: it's a good idea to stop believing anything you have previously seen or read in this thread about content because I can guarantee you we change our minds every five minutes. Wait for the release, and let yourselves be surprised.
[23:56:36] <SM-MaxX> prisma illya is a gift to this impure earth and a shining beacon for all anime

Last edited by Wolfy; 01-19-2016 at 03:42 AM.
Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016   #468
Phantom-blade
Door

What about Kart? Is it also still in limbo? But yet you guys do deserve breaks now and then.
Phantom-blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016   #469
Iceman404
Tyler52 Forever

Hasn't been touched since 2013 (Source-code wise, Blitz-T makes a crap ton of maps still)... but recently because TD's so close, it's being discussed again
Old 01-23-2016   #470
Icee
The one and only...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman404 View Post
Hasn't been touched since 2013 (Source-code wise, Blitz-T makes a crap ton of maps still)... but recently because TD's so close, it's being discussed again
I really hope you guys do consider picking it up again. It'd be a shame if all the tweaks and new content went to waste because the project got canned.
Old 01-24-2016   #471
Chrome
Chromatian Kiske

Nothing is canceled, but priorities need to be made if we're going to get any of it released. Kart is being held in stasis so can <Shulk> "Focus our efforts!"
Old 03-14-2016   #472
Mr Chezz
Known as Blitz-T

Speaking of Kart, we've got another course whipped up (but not quite ready yet) for the rotation. Here's Crystal Abyss: https://youtu.be/T1SMT1Jn9PM
Old 03-14-2016   #473
Phantom-blade
Door

This made my fucking day! at least we have another 'hellish'-looking map besides Digital Dimension. Loving the look of the map and the music!

Last edited by Phantom-blade; 03-14-2016 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-15-2016   #474
Icee
The one and only...

Man, Crystal Abyss looks pretty sinister. That invisible road in the caves was actually pretty cool. It's only a 2 Lap course? How long is one lap in this course?
Old 03-15-2016   #475
Mr Chezz
Known as Blitz-T

Not accounting for items and player interaction, a simple playthrough of Crystal Abyss(as it stands) takes around one minute and thirty seconds per lap(give or take). Admittedly, this seems very long even for two laps, and if it becomes apparent during testing, then changes will be made accordingly.

Last edited by Mr Chezz; 03-15-2016 at 04:17 PM.
Mr Chezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016   #476
Phantom-blade
Door

A quick question but is PWR Retro Maze gonna get removed? I'm not too keen on that map.
Old 03-16-2016   #477
K.S.
Formerly Inuyasha
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Chezz View Post
Admittedly, this seems very long even for two laps
Call me sadistic, but at the very least I'd like to see some proper long maps. I actually like tracks that take 5+ minutes to do three laps on.

Then again, remember what community I originally came from...
K.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016   #478
Mr Chezz
Known as Blitz-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom-blade View Post
A quick question but is PWR Retro Maze gonna get removed?
Wish I could answer that at this point in time. There was a discussion about ports in general, but since that happened so long ago, it's hard to say how it played out. What I can say is that adjustments were made to make PWR Retro Maze a little more tolerable, but even so, some of the turns are still very tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 犬夜叉 View Post
Call me sadistic, but at the very least I'd like to see some proper long maps. I actually like tracks that take 5+ minutes to do three laps on.
Hmm, interesting! Who knows; maybe I'll try something like that for a one-off. I think it'd be cool to find out if there's a way to make a track around 5 minutes in length work for Kart. =3
Old 03-17-2016   #479
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Chezz View Post
Hmm, interesting! Who knows; maybe I'll try something like that for a one-off. I think it'd be cool to find out if there's a way to make a track around 5 minutes in length work for Kart. =3
I was one of the few who legitimately liked N64 Rainbow Road, but it can totally work. It's just important to make sure that the item system actually allows some kind of comeback from being significantly behind so the race isn't completely over early on and you're just going through the motions.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016   #480
Mr Chezz
Known as Blitz-T

Yeah, when the time comes, item balance and distribution will be adjusted accordingly. Back to N64 Rainbow Road, in my opinion that level kinda dragged on. Outside of the course layout and slight visual differences here and there, most of the course just felt the same to me. Who knows; maybe that's what the devs came to terms with when they decided to port it over to Mario Kart 8(Either that or maybe they just didn't want a course with a drastic difference to their main lineup, in terms of the average time taken to complete.).
With that in mind, a level of that kind of length definitely has to have enough distinct areas, in order to create the illusion for the player of overall gameplay being shorter than it actually is. I was thinking about what kind of theme I would tackle and one that came to mind was like, a tour around an island resort. One thing I thought would be cool and would help with the distinction between areas was the music changing for whatever area you were driving through. On that note, here's just a very basic concept I came up with in terms of the different areas and what they would transition into:

Beach>Underwater>Underwater Facility(maybe an Aquarium)>Water Park>Small City>Tropical Forest>Cavern>Volcano>*possibly more of the Tropical Forest(except with more houses, huts and the like) and then back to the Beach*

Again, this is just a rough concept, so make of it what you will. Actually, I'm fairly open to ideas for this particular map, so if you got a theme that you think would work well with a length of around 5 minutes, or if you'd just like to add onto/change some of what I've come up with, I'm all ears. =3 (Just to be clear, either send a PM or message me on #KartKrew)

Last edited by Mr Chezz; 03-17-2016 at 11:11 PM.
Mr Chezz is offline   Reply With Quote