Do not know how to use Zone Builder

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should try reading the tutorial again, but this time, actually read it read it slowly. The tutorial is really easy to pick up.

I just learned myself, without any tutorial, just remembering srb2 doom builder tools, testing Zone Builder controls, and then, i learned now. =V

EDIT: Just remember Srb2 Doom Builder functions, its easy.

There might be 2.1 configs, but that was before Zone Builder was made. Doom Builder 2.1 doesn't actually view slopes and doesn't restrict things that can't be used via the latest version of Zone Builder, not to mention it doesn't easily select custom objects from the Things menu or have a Script Editor to prevent going back and forth between scripts and the level. Zone Builder is the best SRB2 Doom Builder for 2.1, and using the older ones will be obsolete by 2.2 anyways.

The SRB2 Doom Builder config might be labeled as being "for 2.1", but it's not up to date with 2.1.16. It doesn't list any of the slope-related thing and linedef types, for example.

Regarding the OP: You need to be more specific. Which part of the tutorial don't you understand? We can't really help you if we don't know precisely what's wrong.

Last edited:
To be fair, the guide on the wiki is a bit confusing. I'm slowly working my way through it, and I just followed the instructions to a T on making a FOF and end up with a pillar. Multiple times. I think a video tutorial or at least more pictures would make it a hell of a lot easier to pick up Zone Builder.

That being said I'm extremely thankful we have what we have, otherwise I would still be trying to figure out how to make a thok barrier.

I do not understand hardly any of it. When I looked at the first part of it, I tried to do what it said but I could not find the file for SRB2. All that showed up was wads. And I know what I just said did any sense I think.

I do not understand hardly any of it. When I looked at the first part of it, I tried to do what it said but I could not find the file for SRB2. All that showed up was wads. And I know what I just said did any sense I think.

You mean the part where you have to look for the game's IWAD?

The file doesn't actually end with .wad, it's titled "srb2.srb".

Well I just noticed that on the SRB2 wiki that it doesn't really show pictures of how to point the configuration to srb2.srb, so I might just have to fix that.

In the mean time, I can try to explain.

First you want to go into tools and then game configurations (see image below).
ehswzrL.png

Once you click game configurations, then click on Sonic Robo Blast 2 - 2.1 from the list on the left. Once you clicked that, click on the button that says Add Resource.
qXhO1Xa.png

After that, you will see a window that pops up, click on the folder icon to find your main resource file, which in our case is srb2.srb.
GHre30b.png

After you did all that, just click the ok button, and you should be all set up for creating new maps and following the rest of the tutorial.

Last edited:
Anyone think they know why I keep ending up with pillars instead of FOFs? I downloaded an example FOF from the wiki, and am able to make successful FOFs there by making new sectors and tagging them, but whenever I attempt to make one from scratch I end up with pillars every time.

Can you upload a WAD where you tried to make an FOF but ended up with a pillar? We can probably figure out where you went wrong from that.

Did you remember to change the floor and ceiling heights of your FOF's control sector?

I've played with a lot of options, that was one of them. I usually end up with the pillar still being there but the textures go kinda crazy.

Can you upload a WAD where you tried to make an FOF but ended up with a pillar? We can probably figure out where you went wrong from that.

Here is a map I made demonstrating my issue. One of them is an attempt where I didn't touch the floor and ceiling heights, the other I did. I apologize if this is some super simple issue I can't figure out.

EDIT: I have managed to get FOFs to work. Don't really know what I did differently but I was able to create multiple with no issue on my main test map. I have however run into an issue with colormaps. Can't seem to get a colormap working on a water pit I made. Can upload map if needed.

Last edited:
Here is a map I made demonstrating my issue. One of them is an attempt where I didn't touch the floor and ceiling heights, the other I did. I apologize if this is some super simple issue I can't figure out.
You changed the floor and ceiling height of the wrong sector. The height of the FOF must be set in the control sector - that's the sector outside of the main map with the linedef that has linedef type 100. In your map, you changed the heights of the target sector - that's the sector inside the main map where the FOF appears in-game.

I have however run into an issue with colormaps. Can't seem to get a colormap working on a water pit I made. Can upload map if needed.
Well, unless you want us to resort to randomly guessing what the problem might be, you should probably upload the map. :P

You changed the floor and ceiling height of the wrong sector. The height of the FOF must be set in the control sector - that's the sector outside of the main map with the linedef that has linedef type 100. In your map, you changed the heights of the target sector - that's the sector inside the main map where the FOF appears in-game.

I see. Thank you!

Well, unless you want us to resort to randomly guessing what the problem might be, you should probably upload the map. :P

Here is my test map. The water is located inside of the blue brick building. Also, is there any way to fix the hole in the roof of that building?

I appreciate your help.

EDIT: I have mastered FOFs over FOFs. Fixed the hole in the roof. Still having difficulty with colormaps, though. I was able to get a color map to work just now, but the color code #40A0FFJ from the tutorial gave me an extremely light blue instead of the normal blue.

Map located here.

DOUBLE EDIT: I'm an idiot. I accidentally included the # in #40A0FFJ and it cut off the J. Colormaps are working fine for me now. I apologize. Thank you so much for your help!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back