Dreamcast VGA Conversion for HDTVs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane

Has no life for Hardware.
Sonic Team Junior
So, I have a Sega Dreamcast with a third party VGA adapter. It connects via VGA and RCA audio. No RCA video is available. I had to replace my TV and while I love it, I no longer have a VGA input. I'm considering getting this:
http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Audio-108...F8&qid=1413562495&sr=1-6&keywords=VGA+to+HDMI
...but some of the reviews make me nervous. So, my question to you guys is what have you done in this situation? What luck have you had with VGA to HDMI/Component adapters? Has anyone tried this product out specifically?

Last edited:
I think somebody was making a VGA adapter for the XRGB-mini, although it uses the same DIN port the SCART/JP21 connector uses, and XRGB-minis are roughly $400 besides.

I've also been interested in recording Dreamcast footage via VGA, but VGA capture devices ("frame grabbers") are often up in the hundreds or thousands, which is ridiculous when the chinese VGA cable I bought was $5 and it works perfectly.

My problem isn't the VGA adapter, though. I need to connect it to my TV, preferably through HDMI. I don't have a VGA port anymore.

I guess I must not have worded my question well enough.

Well, my point was that it was an adapter for a device that upscales video signals of various forms (composite, S-Video, component, RGB SCART) and then outputs them through HDMI - widely considered one of the best at said task, in fact - but I suppose that didn't quite come across.

I've never used a VGA-to-HDMI converter (my Dreamcast only has composite as of right now). I would heavily advise researching reviews of the things to see what sorts of annoying side effects you can expect to see, as such, as a cheap one's probably just gonna look awful.

Well, my point was that it was an adapter for a device that upscales video signals of various forms (composite, S-Video, component, RGB SCART) and then outputs them through HDMI - widely considered one of the best at said task, in fact - but I suppose that didn't quite come across.

I've never used a VGA-to-HDMI converter (my Dreamcast only has composite as of right now). I would heavily advise researching reviews of the things to see what sorts of annoying side effects you can expect to see, as such, as a cheap one's probably just gonna look awful.
That was more in response to Neo Chaotikal, and I appreciate your input.

Well, I wouldn't oppose owning an XRGB Mini, I don't know if I'd want to drop 400 bucks just to play Dreamcast games, lol. That said, I'm at the mercy of reviews it looks like. While that's not inherently bad, I don't want to miss out on a good product because one jerk didn't like it.

Personally I tend to avoid buying anything that doesn't have at least one 1-star review. If there isn't someone who hates it irrationally, it's either not selling at all or it's not a real thing. Now, when you start seeing a bunch of negative reviews it's time to think it's probably a bad product, but if there are zero negative reviews I start questioning the integrity of the review system.

Personally I tend to avoid buying anything that doesn't have at least one 1-star review. If there isn't someone who hates it irrationally, it's either not selling at all or it's not a real thing. Now, when you start seeing a bunch of negative reviews it's time to think it's probably a bad product, but if there are zero negative reviews I start questioning the integrity of the review system.

I agree, Mystic. But I also check the content of the low reviews, and it seems to be QA issues. I don't mind doing an RTM on a defective product, but if they make you pay for shipping each time, I think that's absurd.

Not sure if this is what you are talking about, but I randomly got an ad of this while playing on my Guitar app on my phone:

http://sewelldirect.com/Manta-VGA-t...y-Sewell.asp?gclid=CInD9_ufwcECFcNQ7AodBW4ALA

That's pretty much the kind of product I'm looking for.

Well the reviews say positive things, along with an overall rating of 4 stars, assuming that the ones who voted one star are fools who cannot setup the thing-a-ma-bob properly, I'd say this is a recommended product.

Well, I just got a gift card from Amazon, so I think I'll just pick it up and let you all know how it is if you're interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back