Mom of dead girl: Sickness was test of faith

Status
Not open for further replies.
People like this make me hate religion more and more, fanatics are just stupid, though I do know that not all religious people are like that, which makes me glad and I do know some good people that are religious but don't prance around and act stupid about it.

I couldn't find an appropriate religion quote, so I had to do with a quote about parents to say what more I have to say about this:

Samuel Butler said:
Parents are the last people on earth who ought to have children.

PSI Hedgehog Chris said:
I couldn't find an appropriate religion quote, so I had to do with a quote about parents to say what more I have to say about this:

Samuel Butler said:

How about instead of relying on quotes to carry a conversation, you make some observations of your own? It builds character.

^Many presidents and people have used quotes. And build character.. :p

I hope these parents find out what they did was wrong. :(

PSI Hedgehog Chris said:

Samuel Butler said:
How about... hmm...

Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi said:
I Like Your Christ But I Don’t Like Your Christian

Bigboi said:
PSI Hedgehog Chris said:

Samuel Butler said:

How about instead of relying on quotes to carry a conversation, you make some observations of your own? It builds character.

Feh, who the heck cares about my observations? <_<

Ontopic, if you ask me, I think that these parents wanted God to heal their child because they didn't feel like taking their own child to the hospital, and they made up this "test of faith" horsecrap to try and justify their laziness.

Yeah, it was a test of faith. Wanna do another test of faith to see if you'll get off unpenalized for neglecting a child? Have fun in prison! Feel free to NOT use your one phone call <_<

EDIT:
Morph said:
PSI Hedgehog Chris said:

Samuel Butler said:
How about... hmm...

Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi said:
I Like Your Christ But I Don’t Like Your Christian

There we go XD

PSI Hedgehog Chris said:
Bigboi said:
PSI Hedgehog Chris said:

Samuel Butler said:

Feh, who the heck cares about my observations? <_<

You make them care. Look at my mormons post: like 3 or 4 replies to it.

^And some of them got offended. -_-

Oh nice der*shot

What happened to the parents? Did they go to jail? Or was it their right to do it?

The trial is presumably still ongoing. It really depresses me that there are still people who believe sickness is caused by sin or demonic possession, despite all the scientific advances since that was held as a common belief. It doesn't help that almost all religions demand and are given automatic respect. I can't help but imagine that tragedies like this could be avoided if more people questioned faith instead of simply accepting it.

Blind faith is a recipe for disaster, and that is the number one reason I am an atheist. There are more reasons, but I won't get into them here, as there's too much potential to turn this into a religion bashing thread.

Not really "blind faith," because I previously said in this topic

James 2:17-18 said:
17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

As such, it isn't faith at all because they're not trying.

Tets said:
Blind faith is a recipe for disaster, and that is the number one reason I am an atheist. There are more reasons, but I won't get into them here, as there's too much potential to turn this into a religion bashing thread.

I think religion does a pretty good job of bashing itself.

Anyway, given the advances in pretty much every aspect of life, I think religion is pretty much obsolete. There's no real need for it anymore. But that's neither here nor there; back on subject. What I'm really curious about, here, and exactly what type of religion did the family believe in.

I'm curious about that too. Apparently some form of Christianity, there's mention of Jesus in the article, but they claim not to belong to any organized religious group. I've always associated "non-organized" religions with those that don't have a central god figure, but apparently I was wrong.

verifiaman, I was going to reply to your post by quoting a certain Depeche Mode song, but then I got all depressed when it dawned on me that I know the words to a Depeche Mode song. :(

Tets said:
I'm curious about that too. Apparently some form of Christianity, there's mention of Jesus in the article, but they claim not to belong to any organized religious group. I've always associated "non-organized" religions with those that don't have a central god figure, but apparently I was wrong.

I was kinda thinking of the possibility that they made their own religion, as odd as that sounds.

Oh wow.... Don't you just love idiotic people?
This is greatly absurd. I'm mormon from what I grew up with (can't say I agree with everything... >.>) and from the small bit that I learned, even if you pray to god to help you, you still need to put in a lot of effort to get what you want even with his help. They should have put her with the right treatment rather than just waiting for something to happen...

Why is the human race getting dumber day by day?

That's not really a fair assessment. Look at the bigger picture and you'll find the human race is actually becoming smarter over time. People who believe sickness is caused by sin are now a minority. You only heard about this because of how outrageous it is by our moral standards. Just because it's a minority belief, however, doesn't mean that it's any less heinous.

SonicMaster, I missed your post before. I don't want to turn this into a debate, it's clearly in the wrong sub-forum for that, but I think you've misunderstood what I mean by "blind faith". I don't mean it in a derogatory or condescending way. I mean faith that isn't supported by any tangible kind of evidence. That is exactly what was employed by the parents of this child, and if that isn't a recipe for disaster then I can't tell you what is.

(quick edit: Now that I think about it, once an idea is supported by evidence, it no longer needs to be taken on faith. That wouldn't make much sense.)

Dang. Why couldn't they think that with their prayers God provided doctors for them or something? I mean I believe God can do good, but they still gotta do their part and get her some help from a doctor. It's like... you don't need to cook food, just put beef on the table, pray, and it's instantly roasted. That's just crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back