3d models in srb2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mystic said:
SRB2 DOES have model support, including 1.08. However, it works only in OpenGL and doesn't support animation. So if you want to have a model of Tails standing with no animation whatsoever as your character, feel free to use it.

The bottom line is that the model code just isn't worth the effort.

Moved to General Discussion. Learn to post topics where they belong, dammit. X_X
To be perfectly honest, I'd love playing that. No, I'm being serious. There any way I could get a link? o_O

AJ used it to make a mock-up screenshot a while back. There are no models included with the game, because it's pretty much totally useless.

Animated 3D model support would be nice, but it's no big deal. The sprites are good enough, as it is... Except for Knuckles... Some of his are "odd"

Mystic said:
I don't have the link. We make enough mock-up screenshots that I don't keep track of them.

Oh S***. I don't think that's a good thing.

md2.jpg

See how totally and freakishly out-of-place that looks?

Bigboi said:
SSNTails said:
md2.jpg

See how totally and freakishly out-of-place that looks?

And how it says Sonic when it's clearly Tails?
Because it was photoshopped. :D
Or, if it wasn't photoshoped, maybe he just replaced the Sonic. So he has no animations? Just that standing thing? Looking innocent at the 2d ring box? With his small tails and his big shoes?...

I do believe that pick-ups were why Legacy supports MD2s at ALL, really, so that would, theoretically, work out.

It'd be cooler for rings and rings you toss (if the latter is even possible), though.

brianv said:
Because it was photoshopped. :D
Or, if it wasn't photoshoped, maybe he just replaced the Sonic. So he has no animations? Just that standing thing? Looking innocent at the 2d ring box? With his small tails and his big shoes?...

Or maybe it's Sonic looking at Tails?

It DOES look nicer than sprites, but not that much. Maybe if this was running off a base engine that had support for animated MD2s, it would be worth creating and animating models. But until model animation is either added or the whole thing is ported to a superior engine (not likely) I fail to see any reason to bother with models.

Personally I like sprites more than models in general. It's only been in the past few years that graphics have gotten to the point where 3D model graphics look as good as the 2D SNES sprites in my eyes.

It wouldn't be a whole lot of work to finish it up and put in animation - I am just very convinced that taking the time to add this feature will not produce any additional character wads.

It's also beyond the scope of the project. The OGL renderer is beyond the scope of the project, even. It's just there to increase portability to some platforms (i.e., MacOSX).

While we're at it, let's put 3D models into Super Mario Bros. 3!

The only use I see is being able to see people properly when you look straight down in match, which is so narrow I don't see it being worth it.

You could make diaganol overhead sprites of the characters. This would make the game look a bit better yet still keep character wads at the same flow. This would look a whole lot better in a sniper's point of view since he would see them looking at their ground level, not what looks like they're looking straight up into the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back