My brand-new Bluetooth mouse stopped working...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fawfulfan

The Tortured Planet guy
This is seriously annoying, and I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions.

I just bought a $50 Bluetooth mouse, capable of connecting to a computer without a USB receiver. It worked fine for the first few days, but on Saturday evening it just suddenly stopped working. I can't drag the pointer with it, I can't left click or right click, I can't use the scroll wheel, I can't do anything!

As to the cause of this problem, I have no idea. I checked the connection of the device, but the computer says it is working properly. Replacing the batteries didn't help (though I didn't expect it to, as the previous batteries were only a few days old). Turning the mouse off and back on again didn't do anything, and neither did restarting my computer. And when I push the "connect" button on the bottom of the mouse, the blue light on top of it blinks for about five minutes and then goes dead again, as my mouse continues to do nothing. The troubleshooting help file offers no other suggestions, and nor can my parents or friends.

Is there anything I didn't think to do? Any suggestions you guys have? I really don't want to have wasted fifty bucks (I can't find the receipt, so I won't be able to return it either).

From my own experience, wireless mice suck donkey nut. Nothing beats a physical cable connection.

What's the point of buying a wireless mouse for a laptop? Like, are you going to jail, and the computer is on another side of the wall? I mean seriously. There is no point in wasting 5 more dollars in something you are more likely to lose.

Yeah, I swear by wired mice, last wireless mouse I had was a heap of junk, as was the one my grandmother had (Logitech one). I now swear by expensive, glowing, gamer mice such as Razer mice and the Coolermaster Sentinel.

No but really, make sure you don't have any interference. And for God's sake don't ever buy a wireless peripheral ever again, especially a mouse/keyboard. :3

There is no point in wasting 5 more dollars in something you are more likely to lose.
This mouse was exactly the same price as the next model down, a mouse with a USB receiver. If it had cost any more than the USB receiver mouse, I probably would have bought the other one instead (I'm wishing I had now, as USB mice are, from my experience, far more reliable and only slightly less convenient in that it takes up a USB port). The mice with cables were only a little cheaper, and frankly I disagree with your monetary assessment. If it were a $20 difference, I would see your point, but a $5 difference does not faze me.

Furthermore, a standard cable mouse is not an optimal arrangement for me, as the desk in my dorm is already thick with tangled cables, and since some of my classes require me to bring my laptop, that's one more cable I have to constantly roll up/unravel. With a wireless mouse, either USB or Bluetooth, it's a lot more convenient.

Last edited:
I use a wireless mouse that uses AA battery's, and normally they last a good 1-2 weeks, so as long as you get a couple of decent rechargeable battery's, they're fine and personally more comfortable than the wired ones.

As for the bluetooth mouse, have you tried to uninstall/remove the device from your computer then reinstall/add it?

I REALLY think there is too much hate for Wireless mouse.
1.What is with all the comments saying it sucks? My Wireless mouse works like a charm(Logitech Wireless Mouse/Keyboard bundle). If not, it works a lot better then wired. I always hated the fact that my wires were too short or I had to pick up the mouse and mess with the wires for a second.
2.It drains in a hour?
Lolwut, are you using some super draining mouse? My optic Wireless mouse can keep a charge for months. (I use rechargable AA Duracell.) Get a new mouse if that happens. I know that you may hate Wireless mouse, but this isn't really the topic. We can make a mouse topic if you really want. :/ Come on guys.

@Fawful, have you tried these steps?
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/bluetooth/connectionguide3.mspx

1. Open Bluetooth Devices, and then click Add.Bluetooth Devices is a Control Panel item that you can use to add, remove, or customize Bluetooth devices. Be sure to follow all the instructions below to add your Bluetooth device. To open Bluetooth Devices, click the link below.
  2. Press the button on the bottom of the mouse for 5 seconds.
  3. Select the check box, and then click Next.
  4. When asked for a passkey, click Do not use a passkey.
    If you did, try redoing them.
You might not have to have the receipt to return it. Do you still have the box?

I use a wireless mouse that uses AA battery's, and normally they last a good 1-2 weeks, so as long as you get a couple of decent rechargeable battery's, they're fine and personally more comfortable than the wired ones.

As for the bluetooth mouse, have you tried to uninstall/remove the device from your computer then reinstall/add it?

I got a Logitech wireless USB mouse runs on 1 battery.

It lasted 4 months. Oh, by the way, I got it in China.

...What?

I've been using a $30 Logitech Wireless mouse (purchased after a wired gaming mouse broke, ironically enough) for a good couple of months, now, and it works just fine. I game with it (I run shit as a Scout on TF2, so there's no lag or anything there), as does my brother, so it gets a lot of use. Haven't had to change the shitty little generic "Dynacell" battery yet, either. What's so bad about them?

By the way, Autosaver: USB extension cords exist, dude. Invest in some.

I use a wireless mouse and I swear I haven't changed my batteries in months. I don't believe mine is bluetooth though, as it does use an USB receiver. Maybe bluetooth stuff suck. Heck I even prefer a wired mic over a bluetooth; can't go as far, but the quality is better, plus you don't have to worry about charging every eight or so hours.

Never start a post like this and then list bullshit reasons that pay no attention to anyone else's comments. You seem to do this ALL the time!
Um, just because you don't agree with those arguments doesn't mean they're stupid. He actually posited some very valid arguments which I happen to agree with. Plus, how the heck is he disregarding other people's comments? The point of a debate is to assert your own opinion, and he didn't do so in a disrespectful manner. If anything, you are disregarding his comments.

Bluetooth mice may suck (as my most recent purchase attests) but USB receiver mice are extremely reliable and eliminate such hassles as packing up cords or having the movement of your mouse restricted. As for those of you who claim to need to recharge or replace batteries all the time in your mice, you must have purchased a terrible model. Prior to the bluetooth mouse, I used a USB receiver mouse for about two years, and I only had to replace the batteries twice.

As for those of you who claim to need to recharge or replace batteries all the time in your mice, you must have purchased a terrible mode
HP, nuf said. As for USB receiver mice been more reliable, whilst I agree with this some do tend to not always receive the commands send via the mouse, especially when your doing alot of clicking in games or if it's a USB receiver for both a mouse and keyboard and both sending alot of commands at once.

Again, I would attribute that to a bad model. My Logitech USB mouse never had those kinds of problems; it was just as dependable as a standard mouse.

It all comes down to how much you pay to how well it does the job, if you pay for a cheap mouse you'll get crap quality, and if you pay for a decent mouse you get decent quality. Pretty much a no-brainer really

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back