YouTube showing full length Shows/Moives. Good or Bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonic260

The Elementor
For those of you who don't know, or don't visit YouTube often/period, YouTube can now play full length episodes/movies for FREE.

I'm kind of neutral on this decision. At first I had thought that this was an extremely bad idea, and thought that we were going to see the end of YouTube at the end of the week. Good to know that the movie/show companies themselves host the videos to avoid some awkward copyright violations. However, they may have put themselves in a bad position because this creates even bigger competition between YouTube and Hulu (Another video site that hosts only movies and shows) and it may become MySpace -> YouTube again. What's more is that the companies that host them would lose even more money due to people choosing to watch them on YouTube instead of buying the real thing, which is bad in our already failing economy.

What do you think?

Cause you know, people totally couldn't download movies and tv shows for free before this.

Couldn't it do this before? I'm pretty sure people who joined before 2006 could upload videos of any length. They still could do it when the 10 minute 59 second rule was set in place, for some reason.

EDIT: Moives...?

I prefer the movie should be cut into parts. I haven't tried watching a movie yet, but because it will probably buffer for a really long time.

Oh yay, more Hulutube discussion.

Looks to me like that's ALL they're going to have; full length movies or shows that certain companies own, no more user created content, and they take everything popular off the front page and replace it.

I don't want the You taken out of YouTube.

Boinciel said:
Couldn't it do this before? I'm pretty sure people who joined before 2006 could upload videos of any length. They still could do it when the 10 minute 59 second rule was set in place, for some reason.

IIRC Directors can do this.

Edit: But if they do do this, they should totally add streaming music too. :)

[read only the title]If the shows aren't shown on TV anymore, and the companies don't make money off them anyway, *coughOriginalPowerRangerscough* then sure I say good.[/read only the title]
I really can't say much on the HuluTube thing, but removing the You from Youtube? no. No. NO. NO! NOOOOOO!!!!!!!! *calms* Here is an alphabetical list of adjectives that describe the concept of ThemTube beginning with "A":
abysmal, adverse, appalling, austere, awful.

Errr, why would they take out the feature that is what took them to the top?
That'd be retarded, like making M&Ms colorless, or make Sonic without his classic platforming and good control and only two sidekicks... oh, yeah...

Arf said:
Sonic without his classic platforming and good control and only two sidekicks... oh, yeah...

We're doomed. :(

In other news, why would it be a bad thing? The free movies, I mean.

Hold on a second, I think I'm missing something here. Full-length shows and movies? How is that different from now?

Well, I mean, technically, we've already got full-length videos uploaded from different user accounts. Essentially, now they're just separating that content from the actual user-created content.

Also, in response to the video you posted: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fayh_ZxTT_Q

Yeah, it might mean the user-generated content will get shifted aside even more, but Youtube needs some way to generate money to stay alive. Whether this will be more of a positive change or not, I honestly think we'll just have to wait and see.

Ugh. I knew when I first heard of YouTube that it wouldn't last forever without selling out...
Yeah, I'm so against this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back