SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Help

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-05-2011   #61
MascaraSnake
aka SpiritCrusher
Moderator
 
MascaraSnake's Avatar
Default

Okay VěLT, now you're starting to cross the line between mildly disruptive and fucking annoying. If you thought that your whining and your pithy way of expressing it is gonna accomplish anything, you're wrong. Posting silly images and trying to "team up" against Cue or whatever you're trying to do here is unproductive and annoying. Oh, and it's also not gonna get the bug fixed that is causing these problems, because we don't even know yet if it's your computer or SRB2 that is responsible. The problem obviously doesn't lie exclusively with your OS, or otherwise every Windows 7 user would be having the same problem.

In other words: Stop complaining, it only serves to annoy us.
MascaraSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011   #62
VěLT
Kamehameha!
 
VěLT's Avatar
Default :o

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritCrusher View Post
Okay VěLT, now you're starting to cross the line between mildly disruptive and fucking annoying.
I hope I never cross that line

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritCrusher
In other words: Stop complaining, it only serves to annoy us.
Okay , you're the boss .
I know how hard it is (took 2 hours to learn how to write Hello World on the screen CMD) you are not paid for it and I respect your work, so just don't forget us.XD
__________________
Player since 2004 and professional complainer about the netcode

Last edited by VěLT; 06-05-2011 at 08:46 PM. Reason: HIGH VOLTAGE REPLY !!!!!
VěLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011   #63
DarkFireTheHedgeHo
The Uncontrollable Flame
 
DarkFireTheHedgeHo's Avatar
Default

Also MD2s in GL doesn't work for Windows 7.
And.... that's mostly it.
__________________
~Im Slashin' Right Through The Fire!~

DarkFireTheHedgeHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011   #64
VěLT
Kamehameha!
 
VěLT's Avatar
Default waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFireTheHedgeHo View Post
Also MD2s in GL doesn't work for Windows 7.
And.... that's mostly it.
--, you can try all the solutions in the world , nothing will stop this frame-lag , we must wait the developers (They can rule the world and fix this game).
__________________
Player since 2004 and professional complainer about the netcode
VěLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011   #65
Bbop800
hey
 
Bbop800's Avatar
Default

No offense, but I think we get it now Volt. The constant whining about your framerate problems is starting to irritate me (if not all of us). In fact, only now did I realize that I don't have any problems whatsoever running SRB2 on my Window 7. The previous posts were a complete misunderstanding, and was most likely because I didn't play SRB2 online for quite some time. After all, Doom is a really old engine, and Windows 7's compatibility with older systems suck quite a lot. So I don't think there's really a way to "fix" this issue. You're better off dealing with it or just installing Windows XP if it irritates you THAT much.
__________________
Not sure what to put here.

Add me on Steam!
Bbop800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011   #66
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator
 
Mystic's Avatar
Default

Volt, I really don't think you understand what we're saying. Your computer operates by the configuration of a lot more things than just your operating system. Windows 7 is not the sole reason SRB2 does not seem to operate properly on your machine, which is proven by the fact that tons of other people run SRB2 on Windows 7 without any issues whatsoever. All sorts of other things are entered into the equation, such as your hardware and their respective drivers. While we can easily determine if it works on an OS (and I will note, we HAVE tested to make sure it runs on Windows 7), we can't test every version of every hardware's drivers, and this means that there are likely going to be issues with some of them.

If you actually want to help instead of whining and bitching about things we can't fix because we can't see the problem on our end, try heeding Cue's statement ages ago and check up on your device drivers and maybe have everyone having trouble with SRB2 on Windows 7 post their system information here (especially network card and graphics card information) so we can see if there's any consistency in the computers of the people who are having trouble.

tl;dr: This is a problem with your computer, and no amount of bitching to the devs on the forums is going to allow us to magically know what's broken on your computer so we can tell you how to fix it.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011   #67
SSNTails
What part of 'RETIRED' don't you understand?
 
SSNTails's Avatar
Default

What if you run SRB2 using the -win parameter? Does it still lag? Using -win falls back on GDI+, which is compatible with EVERYTHING.
__________________
Roly Poly Putt & TraceRace - Now out for Android, iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch - http://www.spaddlewit.com
Follow me on twitter: http://www.twitter.com/SSNTails
SSNTails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011   #68
ALLEN
 
ALLEN's Avatar
Default

So i try the other pcs i have in my house like my old win xp home with intel celron (That was the 2001-2010) And i chould play srb2 SO FINE on there but i just found out that SRB2 is running like BS now. Win xp(all editions) FAIL Win Vista FAIL. Win 7 FAIL
ALLEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011   #69
Bbop800
hey
 
Bbop800's Avatar
Default

"Running like BS" really isn't specific enough. You mean it's not working at all, or are you just getting "lag" from it?

Either way, it sounds like an issue with the COMPUTER, and not the operating system itself, like some people mentioned in this topic a million times.
__________________
Not sure what to put here.

Add me on Steam!
Bbop800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011   #70
ZX
Shrine Maiden of Asskickery
 
ZX's Avatar
Default

HAY GUISE IM HEER 2 NECRO YUR TOPICZ

Ironically, I'm having the same problem. Windows 7, 64-bit. Decent graphics card (ATI Radeon HD 4200 Series) and decent processor (AMD V120 Processor @2.2GHz), running on two gigs of RAM. The laptop itself is a Toshiba Satellite C655D series model. I received it on X-mas Day 2k10.

Though, there is one thing that catches my interest, and it's that some have said their lag carries over to people who join the netgames THEY host. As far as I know, I don't have that problem. I hosted today and nobody complained of unbearable lag, as opposed to when I joined other servers and bitched and moaned about my laptop being a retard... anyways!

Another note I'd like to make: my frames aren't being dropped, but the lag makes it seem like they are. I've checked by activating the FPS counter, and it maintained a constant rate of 33-35 FPS. As for my ping, well... it never ran above 150. It was mostly around the low-100s range. I know it's not my router, though, because when I play the same version of SRB2 on my Windows Vista 32-bit laptop, the only lag I experience is the normal lag and the occasional spikes, if any.

I've tried both the -opengl and the -win parameters, but they don't make a difference. I read what's been said so far, but I'm reporting to check if there've been any breakthroughs on this matter, as it's starting to interfere with my ability to play for extended periods of time without getting unbearable headaches... but that's a personal matter.

I am, however, the same as some of these people in that when I stand still, it looks just fine and nothing's wrong, and in that when I stay in a server for an extended period of time (say, from GFZ1 to RVZ1), the "lag" seems to disappear somewhat and become bearable.

I even used that Speedtest thingy and this is what I got:

It's not bad. Better than a lot. So that's not worrying me at all.

Now, I'm not going to go ahead and bash Windows 7 for being the problem here, but I don't exactly know what else it could be. I mean, I know for a fact my graphics card and processor aren't crappy at all, and neither is the OS (Windows 7 loves Sims 3...), but at the same time, it's not the modem or the router. Needless to say, it's confusing the crap out of me and I want it fixed. NAO. /brick'd
__________________
Levels In Progress
Pristine Forest Zone 1 - ???%
ZX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011   #71
Steel Titanium
 
Steel Titanium's Avatar
Default

Said many times before, Try turning off aero.
__________________
I regret something I never did.
Steel Titanium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011   #72
.:Blue Zero:.
I'm Totally Blue
 
.:Blue Zero:.'s Avatar
Default

It looks like a riot....Srb2 after 5 yeras after the final demo srb2 did't changed (Only the levels) but i'm talking about the graphics. I tink it's time to change this.Srb2 is a good game for Windows 98,200 and xp, We are in the year 2011 and this game is still alive (HOW??? this game should be dead after the final demo). My request now is to keep working on Srb2, but i don't mean working on the levels (yeah the levels are cool and great) but what about making srb2 fully Modelled with md2? it would be a new step for the STJ. I tink that VěLT is right because evry year we have always the same shit (same graphics,sounds, ecc...)

(.:Blue Zero:. received an infraction for this post: Keep your posts related to the topic.)

Last edited by .:Blue Zero:.; 06-30-2011 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Accidentally pressed the Post button
.:Blue Zero:. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011   #73
Bbop800
hey
 
Bbop800's Avatar
Default

So... what your saying is we need to move on to a completely new engine?
__________________
Not sure what to put here.

Add me on Steam!
Bbop800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011   #74
.:Blue Zero:.
I'm Totally Blue
 
.:Blue Zero:.'s Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbop800 View Post
So... what your saying is we need to move on to a completely new engine?
That's it. If it's possible it will be good
.:Blue Zero:. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011   #75
Bbop800
hey
 
Bbop800's Avatar
Default

Well, that's never going to happen. Considering this fangame has taken 11 years just to develop the Doom version alone, it will probably never move on to a new engine. Especially since the 2.0 update, which changed almost everything about the game. Changing to a new engine would mean no Doom Builer, SOCs, etc. And lastly, I actually like the way SRB2 is now. It's meant to look old school, and using the Doom Legacy engine is what makes SRB2 special IMHO, even if they did change the engine, it just wouldn't be the same.
__________________
Not sure what to put here.

Add me on Steam!
Bbop800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011   #76
Monster Iestyn
Friendly Neighbour-Hood
Moderator
 
Monster Iestyn's Avatar
Default

Great, the "SRB2 should move to another engine" discussion again?

http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=33184
http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=31455
http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=16145
http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=26052

A few of the threads that went over this same topic, back months to even years ago.
Monster Iestyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012   #77
Agent Hack
Known as Wind on SRB2
 
Agent Hack's Avatar
Default

Hey guys I'm bumping a year old topic because I may have discovered a fix for SRB2's problem on Windows 7.

So I recently built a new computer and decided to install Windows 7 64-bit again (despite my previous experiences with SRB2 on 7) And when I reinstalled SRB2 and tried to play a netgame I was greeted with the same old problem with horrible frame lag whenever I move in a netgame.

I knew it wasn't the hardware's fault...

CPU: i5 3570k @ 3.4ghz
GPU: Integrated Graphics 4000
RAM: Patriot G2 (2 x 4GB) @ 1600mhz
Drive SRB2 is installed on: OCZ Agility 3 SSD 60GB

So I decided to mess with a few settings for srb2win.exe using task manager. After about 20 minutes of messing around I did this:



Then this...


And it COMPLETELY fixed my frame lag! Everything ran smoothly both in singleplayer AND in multiplayer! I encourage everyone who has a problem with SRB2's framelag in Windows 7 to try this solution. Keep in mind that I run 64-bit Windows and have a quad-core processor so this may or may not work for everyone.

(So basically do this:)
1. Run SRB2
2. Minimize srb2 and open task manager
3. Go to the "processes" tab and locate "srb2win.exe"
4. Left-click and choose "Set-affinity"
5. Checkmark CPU0, CPU1, and CPU2 (Apparently making it use all processors makes srb2 do nothing but show a black screen)

The only downside to this is that I don't know how to make this a default setting for whenever SRB2 boots up. I manually have to do this everytime if i want to play a decent netgame.
__________________
My server: Wind's Server (Now has slower internet, yay)
Agent Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012   #78
Jet Kirby
Now known as Ryuspark
 
Jet Kirby's Avatar
Default

Thank you Agent Hack! I tested this out and it works!

I don't have CPU2 on the checklist, but it still works by just checking CPU0 and CPU1 for me.
__________________
I have no sig... So stop looking at it...

I'm serious, stop looking at it!!!
Jet Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012   #79
Fooruman
 
Fooruman's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Hack View Post
The only downside to this is that I don't know how to make this a default setting for whenever SRB2 boots up. I manually have to do this everytime if i want to play a decent netgame.
It's possible to set affinity by using the command line:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techrepublic.com
Now if you find that running an application on a specific CPU core works well, you might want to use it again in the future. If so, chances are that you wonĺt want to have to go through the Task Manager each time. Fortunately you can create a shortcut to launch an application with a specific affinity setting.

For example, to launch Disk Defragmenter so that it runs only on CPU 0, you would create a shortcut with the following command line:
Code:
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start /affinity 1 dfrgui.exe
To launch Disk Defragmenter on CPU 1, you would create a shortcut with the following command line:
Code:
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start /affinity 2 dfrgui.exe
The number that follows the start /affinity command is called the affinity mask and is defined as a hexadecimal number. However, the CPU core number can be calculated more easily using binary numbers. For instance, the command
Code:
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start /affinity 3 dfrgui.exe
will launch Disk Defragmenter on both CPU 0 and CPU 1. If you convert 3 into a binary number you will get 0011. Under the affinity mask system, processors are numbered from the right to left beginning with 0 and since there are 1ĺs in the first two places, this indicates CPU 0 and CPU 1.

Suppose you have a Quad core processor. If so and you use an affinity mask of 4, that will convert into binary 0100, which indicates CPU 2. If you use an affinity mask of 9, that will convert into binary 1001, which indicates CPU 0 and CPU 3.

For more information on the start /affinity command, open a Command Prompt window and type the command
Code:
start /?
It works with SRB2 1.09.4, but it doesn't with 2.0.6 for some reason.
Fooruman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.