SRB2 v1.09.4 vs v2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rather it because it's more original than most other FPS'. Now it's just generic.

I rather it because it's more original than most other FPS'. Now it's just generic.

Well, SRB2 Multiplayer is more hectic; standing still and general stupidity REALLY punishes you more here than most other FPSes, and unlike games where you just pump your foe into bullets and then melee them up close, you actually gotta TRY avoiding all that stuff because one hit can make you lose EVERYTHING you had if you didn't have a shield, and there are no real "instant win" weapons to help you out other than going Super, which is difficult in bigger multiplayer games. Sure, you'd die in the above "charge + bullets + melee" situation if you failed, but SRB2 isn't about killing anyway; all that matters is getting hits in. Kills are just a bonus. The old 1.09 match made it WAY too easy to make getting hits easy; it was more of a contest of which Sonic could grab all the powerups first and wail on everyone else in most cases. 2.0 is not only less powerhappy, but it also gives a REASON to use Knux and Tails. Knux for his halved delay between shots AND his ability to climb, and Tails with the ability to fly and easily snipe players fighting other players, and both characters are getting more areas to find rings in 2.05's match levels. In a game like Halo 3, you basically used the gun you start with, run into opponent while shooting, then melee'd until a rocket/shotgun/sword appeared, then just used those. In 1.09 match, you just thok'd to the powerups in the first few seconds and beat up anyone trying to take them from you. In 2.0, you try to grab one weapon at least and then try to hit them while dodging and frantically moving and shooting while trying to pick up things at any opportunity. It's not like any FPS I've ever played, but I hear it IS kind of like Quake, but I dunno much about that.

True. One thing better in 2.0 is Knuckles sprites. The old sprites were 3D-ish and didn't match his standing pose. Plus the new levels are really cool (Deep Sea, Red Volcano, Egg Rock. But the EggRock boss is hard.) And lastly, The SRB1 Remake is awesome and fun, but you can't play as Tails :(

I also really don't understand why ANYONE wants the old match system back. It's unbalanced as hell.

Normally, people tend to hate things they haven't figured out. It's just my guess.

And I still remember how players loved to abuse ammo stackings and WOPs in 1.09.4.

Last edited:
Just because it was original doesn't make it any good. It was a cool idea that doesn't pan out nearly as well as I'd hoped it would.

Just because it was original doesn't make it any good. It was a cool idea that doesn't pan out nearly as well as I'd hoped it would.

This is just off the top of my head, but it would be cool if you could select certain weapon rings on the setup player screen and you can combine certain weapons except the red ring so that you have different weapons from others and have strategies to work out for yourself.

The problem with mechanics like that is that there is always an "optimal" choice, and everyone will figure out what it is and always use it. This happens in most games where you can determine your attack choices before combat. This leads to stale games where only the best mechanics get used and all the others just end up lie there forgotten. For instance, in the old system, Automatic-Infinity and Rail-Explosion were basically all that got used, despite the massive variety the system really offered, because the other combinations were either overpowered or extremely weak.

The advantage with a traditional FPS system like we're using now is that you're going to end up using what you have, not what is necessarily optimal. Sure, Bounce may not be the best weapon in the game, but if you don't have any other weapons available to you you're going to use what you've got. Even better, because of the ammunition limitations, if you keep using your good weapons too much you'll have to resort to backups. This provides gameplay variety because you can't just use the optimal choice all the time. Even better, the different weapons are optimal in different situations, encouraging the usage of all the game mechanics. This helps prevent the game from getting stale because it adds variety to the encounters.

Sure, it's not as creative as the weapon stacking system was, but you actually have more weapon variety in this because all of the weapons get used at once, instead of 1 or 2.

I'm sure It'd be sort of hard to come up with combinations for the new weapons now. Try to think of what an automatic-bounce-grenade would do.

Try to think of what an automatic-bounce-grenade would do.

Actually, one of the examples I was thinking of was Bounce-Grenade which could be kind of like the Demoman's Grenade Launcher in TF2. But, if a combination was thought to be overpowered, then you could just downgrade it a bit if needed.

My only problems with 2.0 is the lack of direct OpenGL support (which can be solved with the handy OpenGL port on this site) and the complete nerfage of character WAD flexibility. In every other regard, 2.0 is way better.

2.0 has some upgrades like new stages + better Knuckles sprites but.. 1.09.4 has better tag stages and several other better things.

That's what he means. There aren't any tag maps/stages/zones/levels/whatever you want to call them in SRB2. Tag has always used the match level rotation.

Yeah but the old tag is 10x better than the new one and I know loads of people agree with me so why not add classic tag in the next release? but keep the current tag in like what you did with race/classic race.

Tag wasn't ever that great of a gametype. At least with the new survival type tag the gameplay is more fast paced. I would like to note the point system for tag actually works in the current version where it used to be broke. Hide and seek is much better with the new system since it actually stops the players from moving.

Last edited:
Agreed with Torgo. The only fact that 1.09.4 has beating 2.0, in my opinion, is the control. You were so flexible. You could dodge and easily move out of harm's way. You're able to do this in 2.0, but not as quickly though.

I miss some of the levels out of 1.09.4. Sapphire Hills was the best match map I looked foward to playing. The ring combination's I also miss. Before I'm lectured or critized at, what I missed about the combination's was that it was pretty fun. Do I want it back? Hell no. But I admit, it was pretty funny smacking a bystander with an automatic-homing-bomb-rail ring.

Overall, 2.0 is greater then 1.09, in my opinion. What I'd like to see is a bouncing-grenade-automatic-bomb ring. And or a bomb-bounce-rail ring. Even better, an automatic-bouncing-bomb-rail ring. Now that's a combination.

Oh, please. Tell how it's generic.

You have weapons with effects like spreading out as they get farther, etc. You have characters with special tricks like thokking and flying. And your ammo is your life.

It's not generic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back