Four 2.1 Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like what I am seeing from the four tidbits, especially the emblems and LUA scripting. This makes the wait for 2.1 all the more exciting.

So LUA scripting will basically replace SOC's in general or will SOC's and SOCing still be supported in the game after the update?

Whatever the case may be I am really interested in tinkering with LUA scripting when 2.1 comes out. I've tried learning how to SOC a few years ago and it really didn't have great results, and from what I've read, LUA scripting is far more flexible than SOCing, but I'm wondering if it's easier to learn. I've held off on learning how to SOC right now because I'm eagerly waiting for this update. I really do hope it's much easier to use this method.

Yeah, because I did wanted just like Metal Fighter, to learn how to SOC, so if LUA can be easier than SOC's then you can count me in to script.

Lua won't replace SOC. They're completely different things. But (at least) one part of SOCcing is made easier by Lua: actions. Currently, you are restricted to SRB2's 118 actions. Animating an object requires a lot of tinkering and finding clever ways to use these actions to get the results you want. A lot of things aren't possible at all. Lua makes this easier by allowing you to code your own actions. But here's the catch: To use Lua, you need to able to code in C.

But is coding really that hard? It's just because I really wanna improve and learn new things. And it would be nice if I could code. But if it is that hard, then I have to forget about coding.

In all likelihood, you won't need to use Sonic at all to get all the emblems, but you will need to switch between Tails and Knuckles because their abilities can reach different areas.

Sounds like a challenge.

Just for curiosity, how exactly works this "fast time" parameter for getting the emblem in each level? Is it fast time, or just fast time?

We haven't decided on the final requirements yet. Likely some of them will be more challenging than others.

OH GOSH! Really though. That's TONS more insane than the time attack bonus in 1.09.4!

EDIT: Meh. Time attack bonus wasn't THAT hard.

Last edited:
But is coding really that hard? It's just because I really wanna improve and learn new things. And it would be nice if I could code. But if it is that hard, then I have to forget about coding.

If you've got a keen mind, which you seem to have, then no, coding isn't hard at all.

But I imagine that there will be several things that'll be so easy to SOC that coding them in Lua is pointless.

The added benefit of using Lua instead of modifying source code directly is that your mod has a greater chance of working with future versions without modification.

I would also think that, as a benefit to Lua, distribution of mods would also be easier.

No more people having several different executables for complicated mods (srb2kart) that are now able to be done via Lua. No more "OMG SAUCE" and no more worrying about having to update every little thing for a new version of a mod.

I would also think that, as a benefit to Lua, distribution of mods would also be easier.

No more people having several different executables for complicated mods (srb2kart) that are now able to be done via Lua. No more "OMG SAUCE" and no more worrying about having to update every little thing for a new version of a mod.

Notably, you wouldn't actually have to download anything to join a server, not outside of game anyway. It would all download in-game.

Oh. hehheh. DUH! :p
SO, has the CEZ boss been finished, or is it still in the process of tweaking? Same with the special stages.

Just a quick question about the LUA scripts, will they be able to change the animation intervals and/or what frames certain abilities use for characters? Or is it only a thing/map thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back