• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Blaze WAD WIP. (Last Alpha Release!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
(Hay guys! Let's hijack a legitimate topic about a decent looking character WAD for the sake of a personal argument!)

Those sprites are actually looking rather nice.The shading definately looks kinda weird, but it's far from unbearable. If it becomes too much of an issue, it would be possible to include a pallete mod with the character. Transparency might become somewhat messed up if it's added through ADDFILE, but it would look a bit nicer.

It's still very nice though.

The sprites actually look quite nice, I long to see a good Blaze wad without being something working in progress along at a relatively slow pace. *Looks at light dasher.*

As for abilities, I'd suggest you look at the abilities she has is Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure and compare them to the abilities already included in SRB2, you'd might find something similar to what you'd want.

Oh, and the name background needs to be cyan to be transparent as well as the life icon needing a 1x32 pixel black bar at the top.

Well now that i've played through this wip, It's actually not that bad, just, she bobs too much, and she's too high up when you turn

BLZEA1-2.png

Almost looks like a silver recolor from this angle. Just with a few edits but it's still looks like a nice WAD.

It's a picture, not a WAD. I don't want to make it into a WAD because I've already got several others held up, and I can see others are working on their versions of Blaze.

My Blaze doesn't seem to look that much like Silver anyway...

Monster Iestyn said:
It's a picture, not a WAD. I don't want to make it into a WAD because I've already got several others held up, and I can see others are working on their versions of Blaze.

My Blaze doesn't seem to look that much like Silver anyway...
Why I'm I so stupid? *pounds head* Well I saw the other pictures of blaze or screen shots and on the second picture (I think) she looks like silver when he hovers.

light dasher said:
Well now that i've played through this wip, It's actually not that bad, just, she bobs too much, and she's too high up when you turn
Yeah. Nitro fixed that a few posts after OP.

Hey guys, sorry for the slight bump, but I have released a new Blaze Alpha wad! Check out the first post, I edited it to include a new updated link and screen-shots.
http://www.supersanctuary.net/srpgp/ffh/download.php?file=9d877187d800979ea6a2260eac5417db
I know I don't seem very active here, but my internet killed over for a few days, :( at least it helped weed out a lot of worthless updates. Even this update isn't that much, but it would be stupid to leave the WIP up here if I have made so much progress.
-This wad resolves a lot of problems and greatly improves the graphics and playability. She looks much better now, has more frames and none of them are jerky.
-The first WAD was supposed to have pink shoes, but I screwed up and picked out the wrong color, if Monster Iestyn hadn't pointed it out, I may not have noticed it. Because her shoes are a Hot-Pink color, I went with a shade of bright-red as a substitute.
-She now has her fuzzy socks and cuffs!
-I know the shading hasn't improved any, but I'm still looking for the perfect shade of gray that will best suit my Blaze sprites.
-I added the ability to spin dash by adding a temporary sprite. I'm planning to make her spindash like a fire-ball and have a sprited flame trail just like how Chaos Zero 64's Espio WAD had its own custom thok trail, but I don't know how to make the flames in the trail animate, is that even remotely possible?
-I'm still undecided on her running sprites and ability, so I gave her a double jump ability and left her speed alone for the time being. I was thinking about making her running sprites move like AmyR's or Sonic's, which do you think is best?
-I still haven't made any part of her green, so she can't change colors for net games yet, like anybody will be using the WAD online anyway. I was thinking of making her jacket green, does that sound good?
Any and all further suggestions will be appreciated!
Lol, just so you guys know, I used SNN's Sonic sprites, not the Amy or Silver edits, they were already hacked up and don't have the shoes I need. I find it amazing how many custom characters that can be made out of SNN's Sonic sprites.

Ash said:
I notice the sprite still hasn't been fixed for the palette. Um.
Dr.Pepper said:
-I know the shading hasn't improved any, but I'm still looking for the perfect shade of gray that will best suit my Blaze sprites.
Whoops! :P

Dr.Pepper said:
Lol, just so you guys know, I used SSN's Sonic sprites, not the Amy or Silver edits, they were already hacked up and don't have the shoes I need. I find it amazing how many custom characters that can be made out of SSN's Sonic sprites.
An honest mistake. Fixed.

My Blaze sprite's head isn't gray, Ash, it's blue. If you check out SRB2's palette, you'll see it's the second lightest shade of blue the palette has. Any shade of gray would have looked terrible and I should know, I played around with the palette for more than 2 hours until I found the right color.
The palette doesn't have any of Blaze's real colors, including that very light shade of purple for her fur, so how am I supposed to fix the sprites to work with it? It's virtually impossible without a palette mod, as Draykon put it, and I don't even know what a FOF is. :P
I'd rather wait and improvise with close-enough substitutes until SRB2v1.1 is released.
It'd be nice if the wiki was up right now, I'd like to figure out SOCs so I can make her spin trails animate.

light dasher said:
I'm guessing that's the closest to lavender...
Yes, sky-blue is the closest to lavender I can get with SRB2's current palette.
Anyway, I have released one last Alpha before I post a working beta later on in the releases section. This update fixes the 'gang green' in her sprites, has a custom temporary spin trail until I can draw the flames, and Forward Running frames that can be seen if you can get her to run fast enough. Proper shading is still in the works.
http://www.supersanctuary.net/srpgp/ffh/download.php?file=8dff3f5b35cf72d4666b5f06c1f5851d
I'll Begin said:
Indeed. She's supposed to spin.
I would have her jump frames spin, but it's hard for me to draw the spinning frames, that's gonna have to wait. I would try making her spin like she does in Sonic Rush, but I already know it will look flat like cardboard, so that idea is out the window. For the moment, she'll have to jump the way she does now.

I'll help you making the spin trail seperate from Espio's so it doesn't override his and thus it won't cause another Ghoul's Forest f-up. Also, I suggest you use Espio's spin frames as a base for Blaze's spin frames as that seems close to what Blaze has in Sonic Rush. Maybe I'll make you a better character selection pic as well if I have the time.

I like how this WAD is getting along, but I think you need to fix up a couple of her hurt frames. (Her tail isn't visible at a couple of angles, etc.)

Okay, I know that I said I wouldn't update the WAD again until a I finished a working beta, but the spin trail issue was pretty bad. Thankfully, SonicTheDalek fixed it for me and I added the new running frames I was working on, she runs now.
http://www.supersanctuary.net/srpgp/ffh/download.php?file=cb797f3ec8de0ea94af6cb8d760164ab
Lol, some of the hurt frames do look pretty bad, but I didn't notice the missing tail in her hurt frames until SonicTheDalek mentioned it, so that's fixed too.
I like the idea of making Espio's spin frames look like Blaze, it doesn't look too flat and it's way better than the crappy fireball idea I had, and I can make her custom spin trail look like a motion-blur of her spin frames, just like in Sonic Rush.

I think the walking frames don't animate right, at least the front ones but probably more as well. Make her head actually move when she walks too, it just looks weird.

Also, I think you should remove the end sign and reuse it later for 1.1. This currently mucks up other characters in 1.09.4 because when they finish the level, Blaze's sign shows up rather than the generic "CLEAR!" sign. 1.1's new features will solve that problem, so use the sign sometime after when 1.1 is finally released.

You might need to change her Double Jump ability to something that is closer to Sonic Rush. Like I said before, compare abilities currently in SRB2 with the abilities she has in Sonic Rush and use one that fits best for her. She also needs Burning Blaze as her superform, too.

And finally, yay for me helping someone! Love me and worship me! *shot*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back