What is $$$.sav file?

Status
Not open for further replies.
$$$.sav is the current game state, which is what allows you to join a game while it's being played. It has all the information about object position, angle and state and all the map stuff too. It gets deleted once it's used up because it's useless as soon as the game advances a single tic.

If it doesn't fully download it's due to a connection error or timeout, or because the server just closed.

Now that I understand what .sav file is,now, here's another question. I don't know why, but Srb2 fully downloads the $$$.sav file in dedicated servers (an example: Oerg's-Inn CTF). I tried numerous times to connect to regular servers, (Player 1 is the Host; modified/non modified ; with cheats/without cheats) but the $$$.sav file does not download. (in rare cases it stops at 2kb). Any suggestions?

Now that I understand what .sav file is,now, here's another question. I don't know why, but Srb2 fully downloads the $$$.sav file in dedicated servers (an example: Oerg's-Inn CTF). I tried numerous times to connect to regular servers, (Player 1 is the Host; modified/non modified ; with cheats/without cheats) but the $$$.sav file does not download. (in rare cases it stops at 2kb). Any suggestions?
It fully downloads and doesn't download at all.

This is a contradiction, you know.

$$$.sav is the current game state, which is what allows you to join a game while it's being played.

I don't know if it does have to do very much but certain times I've tried joining at servers with a long $$$.sav. file and the downloading stopped at 2 KB as you mentioned in those rare cases. When I went to try to join again, the server wasn't there. Also, sometimes, what you've stated about dedicated servers I might say that's my opposite issue. But that should be obviously because I'm too far away of the location servers, for example Oerg's-Inn CTF Europe. Plus, I think I have a bad connection but I don't know really.

Why does it deletes itself after joining a server?

Sometimes the $$$.sav doesn't always delete itself, you might have to manually delete it in order for you to join correct. I got some errors like this as well. Most of the time I get an error like $$$.sav is corrupted or something like that. Once you delete the $$$.sav and load Srb2 again it will try to recreate it and you should be able to join fine after that if the server has no problems. Most of the times this happens when people have a very laggy or bad connection server and its downloading a bad game state save. $$$.sav is just a temporary save file to join the current state of the game in a server (Like player location, badnik objects, Flags and other stuff that loads on maps). The only time I see this error is joining servers, I doubt you get this error hosting though.

Last edited:
This is getting even more weird. I just figured out that I can also connect to Modified servers. But, I still can't to regular ones. What I did is to reboot Windows in safe mode with networking, I connected to a random modified server that required some wads i didn't have (in this case Sf94-serv or something). I managed to get those wads (in safe mode with netwroking), then i went back to the regular Windows 8 and finally I joined a server.

Hmm, interesting. Why does SRB2 need to write a file for this information, anyway? Instead of, say, storing it in a memory location.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back